6700k > 6800k

danrey84

I am just wondering. I game heavily and stream and do some editing of games I have recorded. I currently have a 6700k @4.6ghz and really enjoy but I have a the chance through work to get a 6800k at like 60% price compared to what you pay in the shops and also a chance too get an x99 board for the 60% cost also through work. Would it be my worth upgrading giving in my I would sell my 6700k and.Asus ProGaming Motherboard to.cover the costs. 

Thanks for your input 

Yeah sure it is a nice upgrade. 6700k is great for gaming but a 6800k won't impact overall gaming much. 

It would be very worth it for your needs

3 minutes ago, danrey84 said:

I am just wondering. I game heavily and stream and do some editing of games I have recorded. I currently have a 6700k @4.6ghz and really enjoy but I have a the chance through work to get a 6800k at like 60% price compared to what you pay in the shops and also a chance too get an x99 board for the 60% cost also through work. Would it be my worth upgrading giving in my I would sell my 6700k and.Asus ProGaming Motherboard to.cover the costs. 

Thanks for your input 

c

I would do it...especially if you do more than just gaming.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I know the 2 extra cores regarding gaming won't make a great deal of difference but maybe when it comes to editing streaming it may help.

You might want to wait for skylake-E, the 6800k isn't much of an upgrade since it's two gens old.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Personally I wouldn't as X299/Skylake-E has been confirmed as using a different socket and releasing late this year (September-December). But if you need a small, albeit noticeable performance upgrade ASAP, I would go for it.

The 6700K is perfectly able to handle most light (and some heavy) editing, gaming (at any level), and streaming. I hang out in TS with some Twitch streamers/You Tubers and when asked about x99 vs z170-270, they do not see the justification in spending the extra money. 

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You might want to wait for skylake-E, the 6800k isn't much of an upgrade since it's two gens old.

2 minutes ago, Qwweb said:

Personally I wouldn't as X299/Skylake-E has been confirmed as using a different socket and releasing late this year (September-December). But if you need a small, albeit noticeable performance upgrade ASAP, I would go for it.

The 6700K is perfectly able to handle most light (and some heavy) editing, gaming (at any level), and streaming. I hang out in TS with some Twitch streamers/You Tubers and when asked about x99 vs z170-270, they do not see the justification in spending the extra money. 

Yeah but the problem is he won't get that insane discount he has on that 6800k 

if it's specificly for extra performance during streaming, look into a two pc setup, maybe even a two pc setup with said 6800k for the stream rig? :P

14 minutes ago, danrey84 said:

Thanks for your input 

If you are streaming/recording the 6800k would be a big improvment

16 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

But is it even worth it with the discount to get something that is 3 generations old?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

My point is; for medium load editing and high end streaming, a 6700K is perfectly fine.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

look into a two pc setup, maybe even a two pc setup with said 6800k for the stream rig?

Adding a second PC adds unnecessary latency and is much more expensive than selling the old rig to offset the cost of the new computer.

1 minute ago, Daniel Z. said:

If you are streaming/recording the 6800k would be a big improvment

Not really, the 6800K offers a 1% effective speed increase over the 6700K, and OP would be spending more than 1% of the value of the previous machine. 

Spent money is money spent, no matter how little...

Also as a side note, I am a bit skeptical about a 40% discount as that would be lower than MSRP ($245.08 as opposed to $408 as the lowest price on PC Part Picker)  

1 minute ago, Qwweb said:

Not really, the 6800K offers a 1% effective speed increase over the 6700K, and OP would be spending more than 1% of the value of the previous machine. 

where did you get that number I'm curious

1 minute ago, Qwweb said:

adds unnecessary latency

that's the first time i heard that said...

the cost okay, but i've *never* heard anyone complain about latency...

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

where did you get that number I'm curious

Calculation using number of cores/threads, L1, L2, and L3 cache, average of core base clock and turbo, (done by my roommate who is majoring in electrical engineering with a focus in computer hardware design) and comparing using user based benchmarks (UserBenchmark). Roommate's calculations came out to be ~1.098% theoretical performance increase, which is close enough to the reported 1% on UserBenchmark. Price/performance would only be worth it if OP spent <$3 out-of-pocket on the whole build...

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

that's the first time i heard that said...

the cost okay, but i've *never* heard anyone complain about latency...

Any time that you add a new connection, the electrical signal loses speed due to inefficiencies; nothing is instantaneous. The latency will not be significant, but it will be there, usually 1-5ms more in stream due to transit times, software, caching, temporarily storing (RAM), and CPU based encoding/decoding and transmission. Introducing a second computer to a system also theoretically doubles the amount of possible failures, as if one machine goes down, the whole system is potentially compromised. 

The 2 extra cores at 4.4 Ghz really give me a boost over my 7700k at 5.1 Ghz in video editing and the like, and i've never come even close to a bottle neck in gaming. YMMV depending on what kind of editing and stuff you are doing.

11 minutes ago, Qwweb said:

Any time that you add a new connection, the electrical signal loses speed due to inefficiencies; nothing is instantaneous. The latency will not be significant, but it will be there, usually 1-5ms more in stream due to transit times, software, caching, temporarily storing (RAM), and CPU based encoding/decoding and transmission. Introducing a second computer to a system also theoretically doubles the amount of possible failures, as if one machine goes down, the whole system is potentially compromised. 

which is all completely neglible compared to network latency alone.