Any tips for a first time builder?

VicRik

Anything is welcome, I think I know the basics but I hope one of you guys can prove me wrong ?

1 - Build it first outside the box.   - mainly to make sure it POSTs with the basic bits installed only, and is stable on for a while.   Dont need to install anything much at this stage, but if it dont work can save a lot of time later.

Check if you have to put in the PSU or Mobo first. I had to take parts out of my build to get others fitted later on

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

1. Put the IO shield in before you do ANYTHING else.

2. SCREW IN YOUR GRAPHICS CARD!

3. Cable manage

4. Use a magnetic screw driver

5. Don't use the in-box drivers

I'm 13 and I built my PC a couple of months ago, and I was really worried about screwing something up. Just realize that it's not as hard as you think.

6 minutes ago, Rohime said:

1 - Build it first outside the box.   - mainly to make sure it POSTs with the basic bits installed only, and is stable on for a while.   Dont need to install anything much at this stage, but if it dont work can save a lot of time later.

So mobo, psu, ram, CPU? Or also 1 storage drive necessary?

1 minute ago, Firecheetah13 said:

Just realize that it's not as hard as you think.

Yep - just like LEGO.

One more thing ... really take care with putting in CPU - if you put CPU on the pins any way other than directly in correct place, the lumpy bits under the CPU will bend the pins.

2 minutes ago, Rohime said:

Yep - just like LEGO.

One more thing ... really take care with putting in CPU - if you put CPU on the pins any way other than directly in correct place, the lumpy bits under the CPU will bend the pins.

Can't agree more, people say that you can just bend back the pins with a credit card but that was really only made easy in LGA 775 Mobos, now you end up bending other pins when bending the original bent pins back into place.

1 minute ago, VicRik said:

So mobo, psu, ram, CPU? Or also 1 storage drive necessary?

MoBo, PSU, 1xRAM stick only needed (more ok), and CPU+cooler.  dont really need storage at this stage.

make sure it POSTS into BIOS, and leave it for 5-10 to be sure it dont do anything odd (like power reset - the classic sign of something wrong).   Check the temps and whatever.

Relax and take your time.

If you rush you are definitely going to have to redo something.

Go slow and think things through and save yourself some headaches.

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

Ground yourself.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

9 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Ground yourself.

What is your recommended way of doing this? With one of those wrist bands?

2 hours ago, VicRik said:

Or touching the PSU or case while it's plugged into a wall outlet.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

19 minutes ago, VicRik said:

if you live in eu, you can touch the ground pins in the socket. (they are exposed in europe)

Take your time. I have two builds under my belt. I guarantee it will take me a few hours to build. I always like to double check things and read instructions. Double check every thing. Like others said, do cable management after you know it boots. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

If it feels like your rushing, slow down... If it feels like your going at about the right speed, slow down slightly... If you think your doing it too slow, your doing it right.

Plug in your 4 or 8 pin cpu power cable and any headers that are on the top of the motherboard before you put the motherboard in the case. This go's if you are using a non stock cooler since you might not be able to get your hand between the cooler and the top of the case. happened to me on my first time, had to take the motherboard out again.

also dont be shy to grab a manual when you are unsure, specially with cpu cooler instalation on some coolers and the freakishly annoying front pannel connectors. mine had no labeling on them, i could cry.

10 hours ago, VicRik said:

Anything is welcome, I think I know the basics but I hope one of you guys can prove me wrong ?

What all of these guys have said above is completely right, but for me aesthetics is also just as important.

If you are planning on having a window panel to see all your hardware try to buy parts that won't look like trash all together. Black&Red is like the clichè colourway but there are endless combos you can do that look great and make it all worth it in the end.

I finished my first build today and was gassed on the final result! But like the 24pin of my PSU was this multicolour cable which does not look clean, I reccomend to buy a fully modular PSU & get sleeved cables! I'm ordering mine right now ;)

Keep in mind not to go ham with your first build though, there is always room for improvement! No need to have everything rgb or elite brand, you can do that step by step.

Sometimes it's useful if someone can help you with an aftermarket CPU cooler.

-+-+- This is a reminder to clean the dust filters of your PC! -+-+-

Main PC:

Ryzen 5 1600 3.8GHz - RX 570 4GB - 2x8GB DDR4 - ASUS Prime X370-Pro - Shadow Rock 2 - Define S - Seasonic Prime Gold 650W

500GB NVME SSD - 1TB SATA SSD - 1TB HDD - Windows 10 Pro

Dorm PC:

i5 4590 - GTX 960 4GB - 2x4GB DDR3 - ASUS H81M2 - Dark Rock 3 - Define R3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Seasonic S12 430W - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

NAS:

Pentium G4400 - 4GB DDR4 - Fujitsu Esprimo P556 - 250GB SATA SSD - 2 x 4TB NAS HDD - 12V PSU - OpenMediaVault

Laptop:

Dell Latitude E6520 - i5 2430M - 2x4GB DDR3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

Take your time. Before even starting to build, make sure you have all parts and tools. Also make sure you have enough free space because you will need it. 

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

4 hours ago, SwervinPersian said:

What all of these guys have said above is completely right, but for me aesthetics is also just as important.

If you are planning on having a window panel to see all your hardware try to buy parts that won't look like trash all together. Black&Red is like the clichè colourway but there are endless combos you can do that look great and make it all worth it in the end.

I finished my first build today and was gassed on the final result! But like the 24pin of my PSU was this multicolour cable which does not look clean, I reccomend to buy a fully modular PSU & get sleeved cables! I'm ordering mine right now ;)

Keep in mind not to go ham with your first build though, there is always room for improvement! No need to have everything rgb or elite brand, you can do that step by step.

Thanks a lot! I checked for my current PSU (Corsair CX550M) and it has all black cables. I should be fine :)

6 hours ago, VicRik said:

Thanks a lot! I checked for my current PSU (Corsair CX550M) and it has all black cables. I should be fine :)

I got the CS550M, pretty much same thing. This also came with black cables but the 24pin header was unfortunately this multicolour, it just looks out of place. 

image.jpg

23 hours ago, VicRik said:

Any tips for a first time builder?

Buy a good caulking gun. A clean caulk line makes architrave an skirting 'look' finished. Also shape silicon with either wet soapy fingers, or spit, stops it sticking to your fingers and lets you run any excess off for a really pro look....wait this isn't the building you meant is it?

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

24 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

Buy a good caulking gun. A clean caulk line makes architrave an skirting 'look' finished. Also shape silicon with either wet soapy fingers, or spit, stops it sticking to your fingers and lets you run any excess off for a really pro look....wait this isn't the building you meant is it?

Finally an answer I can actually use ;)