Build PC now or later?

Adimantus

Hi, 

I am a 1st grade high school student. In two years I will go to university and I would like to built a PC. Since 2011 I have been rocking with a Q8200, 4GB RAM and a GT 730 (2GB GDDR5) which I bought for 60 euros in 2014. I am quite a huge fan of gaming and since 2011 I have been playing games like Terraria which are indie like games. When I bought that GPU I started playing AAA titles like Assassins creed, GTA, Unturned and Overwatch. I have been running those on 1600x900 and I am quite happy with the textures. Framerate is usually around 28-32. Over the past year I have collected 150 euros (350 originally but I had to buy a phone). I only need CPU-MOBO-RAM-GPU and I have 2 options and used componets are not really an option.

1. I will build a PC next year with a Coffe Lake CPU which will probably include a pentium hyperthreaded processor, 8GB RAM, a cheap motherboard and a 1050ti. That combo will cost about 350 euros where I live.

2. I will build an i5 PC in two years when I will have more money. I will do that when I finish high school and the PC will cost me about 550 including a 200 euro GPU at the time of 2019. But theres a catch. My dad fill fund me 300 euros for a PC only if I dont have one until then ( when I finish high school). So if  I collect 550 plus the 300 of my dads money I might be able to build a i7 PC with a better GPU.

I want that PC to last me until 2024 but I will only be a gaming PC until 2022 since I will be mostly studying for the rest two years. I really dont know which to pick and really need some advice. Thanks in advance....

Dang talk about planning, if you don't need a new PC right now it might be batter to just wait until you have your 550 euros and the money from your dad if you can wait.

That isn't enough money for a CPU, RAM, a GPU, and a motherboard. That's barely enough money for a GTX 1050 Ti alone. A PC with a GTX 1050 Ti will last you till 2018 or 2019 at best if you keep playing at 1600x900.

Wait. Save up more money. 500 Euros is ideal. Maybe with Zen, 400 Euros will get you the same performance.

A Q8200 can still game. If you want something NOW, spend your money on an additional 4GB of RAM for a total of 8GB and a GTX 1050 Ti.

If you come into about 250, look for a used Core i5 2500k+motherboard and a used 7970 or something.

Wait you are in your 1st year of high school but you go to college in 2 years? Da fuq? 

In Murica you go to HS for 4 years

Breaking things 1 day at a time

2 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Wait you are in your 1st year of high school but you go to college in 2 years? Da fuq? 

I think 'middle school' lasts till 10th, and you take 10-11-12 in HS. I could be wrong though 

should wait till after you acquire your post-secondary degree/diploma :)

Photography / Finance / Gaming

12 minutes ago, Adimantus said:

Hi, 

I am a 1st grade high school student. In two years I will go to university and I would like to built a PC. Since 2011 I have been rocking with a Q8200, 4GB RAM and a GT 730 (2GB GDDR5) which I bought for 60 euros in 2014. I am quite a huge fan of gaming and since 2011 I have been playing games like Terraria which are indie like games. When I bought that GPU I started playing AAA titles like Assassins creed, GTA, Unturned and Overwatch. I have been running those on 1600x900 and I am quite happy with the textures. Framerate is usually around 28-32. Over the past year I have collected 150 euros (350 originally but I had to buy a phone). I only need CPU-MOBO-RAM-GPU and I have 2 options and used componets are not really an option.

1. I will build a PC next year with a Coffe Lake CPU which will probably include a pentium hyperthreaded processor, 8GB RAM, a cheap motherboard and a 1050ti. That combo will cost about 350 euros where I live.

2. I will build an i5 PC in two years when I will have more money. I will do that when I finish high school and the PC will cost me about 550 including a 200 euro GPU at the time of 2019. But theres a catch. My dad fill fund me 300 euros for a PC only if I dont have one until then ( when I finish high school). So if  I collect 550 plus the 300 of my dads money I might be able to build a i7 PC with a better GPU.

I want that PC to last me until 2024 but I will only be a gaming PC until 2022 since I will be mostly studying for the rest two years. I really dont know which to pick and really need some advice. Thanks in advance....

1st grade =/= high school.  Regardless, you need to pick what you want/what will make you happy.  I think you're spending money in all the wrong places with both builds regardless.  But I'm not the one that has to live with your computer.  You shouldn't be building a computer for the future.  Build it for today.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

8 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

And in Scotland it's 6 years of high school with England basically being the same but instead of calling the last 2 years "high school", they call it sixth form ;) (so 4 years of high school and 2 years of sixth form).

All this means is we're in University (hue hue hue, college=shit version of Uni here...) when we're 18~ (+/-1) years old so...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

If I go with the second option should I upgrade my GPU to 1050 ti now and just buy new CPU MOBO RAM in two years?? I need to get at least 60fps on that resolution.

57 minutes ago, Adimantus said:

If I go with the second option should I upgrade my GPU to 1050 ti now and just buy new CPU MOBO RAM in two years?? I need to get at least 60fps on that resolution.

Remember to quote people. And if you want better performance for the next two years, then yes. But at that point you may wanna upgrade the GPU again (2019) let me quote everyone else so they get their opinion in.

1 hour ago, Abyss Gaming said:

snipppppyyyyy

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I am snipping these quotes and these quotes are snipping me

1 hour ago, Aereldor said:

snip all the dooda day

1 hour ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

snipppppppppppppppp

1 hour ago, Wolther said:

snipping while you work, dadaadadaa snip

1 hour ago, mok said:

snip

1 hour ago, JefferyD90 said:

snippity snippity

58 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

snip snip snip

1 hour ago, Adimantus said:

Minimum RX480 4GB/1060 6GB IMO then :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 hour ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Considering the text under your picture, you're going to want to learn this sooner rather than later.

Other countries do things differently. Get used to it. "'Murica =/= the world"

Your planning for things that.. We don't really even know about. With this low of a budget I would buy CPU/GPU, ram, used. It'll all last much much longer. 

36 minutes ago, Abyss Gaming said:

Remember to quote people. And if you want better performance for the next two years, then yes. But at that point you may wanna upgrade the GPU again (2019) let me quote everyone else so they get their opinion in.

You could not. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

2 minutes ago, BadluckBrian said:

You could not. 

???

1 minute ago, Abyss Gaming said:

Love almonds 

Thanks! 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

I can't wait for 2020 so I can build a new pc from scratch =x

building a new pc is funnier than using it D:

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

I can't wait for 2020 so I can build a new pc from scratch =x

building a new pc is funnier than using it D:

Not a word,  get out. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

Definitely wait, PC parts always drop a ton in price a few years after release and you will be able to build yourself a monster pc then which will last you way longer.