How dangerous is it to plug in Windows XP

Greenlink74
4 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

Steam, B3D, Skype, PS CS4,5 perhaps, GIMP, Origin, etc. etc. The point of my last comment was, of course, that I am a home user, and that was describing what one would have to do to reach a "Home" user. For goodness sake, a registry tweak will let you keep getting updates, I think XP is much less dead than you think.

OLD programs. I'm talking about new ones. I've got a VM running XP. I've tried to install Firefox, does not work, tried Chrome did not work. Malwarebytes didn't even install. Even Oprea would not install, let alone open the installer. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

4 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

Windows 7 is getting up towards a decade, and it's still the only usable MSFT os, so I'm not sure how well that holds.

Windows 10 is more than usable as long as you're not one of those dumb people that uses the upgrade method.

Windows 7 still has support and updates for several more years.

Windows XP is not getting security updates or any kind of patch support anymore.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

10 minutes ago, Jiaweeeee said:

Ermm Malwarebyte and most other Antivirus are compatible with windows XP , I know a list of stuff that can run from Window 10 to XP without any issue , it really comes down to whether the developer wants to add in support for older computer

Nope. Just tried them on my VM. Did not work

2 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

That's were those handy dandy FTP's come into play and you download Firefox 15.

Okay, but you're using outdated versions. Good luck with that. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

24 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

Still has vulnerabilities. 

22 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Won't help at all. The vulnerabilities are in the os, not in the malware.

By that logic, Windows 7/8.1/10 are also unsafe to use on the internet, along with macOS, and even all variants of Linux running unconfigured iptables firewall rules... However, XP is quite vulnerable to drive-by downloads if you're not safe when browsing the web :P 

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

2 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

Nope. Just tried them on my VM. Did not work

Not sure if it's just you but my VM Win XP is running on the latest malwarebyte 3.0 premium . Check if your versions is Service Pack 2 or later

3 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

Do you even read the things you post?

The security updates that could be installed are intended for Windows Embedded and Windows Server 2003 customers and do not fully protect Windows XP customers,” the company said in a statement to ZDNet. “Windows XP customers also run a significant risk of functionality issues with their machines if they install these updates, as they are not tested against Windows XP.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

22 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Aren't you supposed to let the laptop put it on for you?

Only if it uses its port.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

People have moved away from XP, It's not common as you say it is...

3 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

People have moved away from XP, It's not common as you say it is...

I mean seriously who even want to use XP as a daily driver , window 7 would probably come to their mind first if they are looking for an old OS 

1 minute ago, rrubberr said:

The point there is that you are more likely than not getting updates. I think that quote is MSFT trying to get people away from XP now that everyone knows that it's still fully functional.

A 1.5 decade old OS which the software engineers are not maintaining is not "fully functional" it is as broken as a car with no seatbelts.

If you are naive and enjoy risking your system like that then go ahead, it's not my problem, but don't suggest those "windows XP is fine!" ideas to other people.

Spoiler

Still more than all versions of OSX and Linux combined, I believe.

Actually Kali Linux probably has more user than XP 

1 minute ago, Jiaweeeee said:

I mean seriously who even want to use XP as a daily driver , window 7 would probably come to their mind first if they are looking for an old OS 

I know! I personally have an XP machine, not connected to the internet only LAN. I use it for some applications that don't work with any other OS. Windows 7 support will end in 3 years from time. It's an old OS, 7 coming to 8 years old. XP is even older! coming to 16 years.

Just dont use it .. if it like old machine run some kind lf linux distro. 

Magical Pineapples

4 hours ago, rrubberr said:

Windows 7 is getting up towards a decade, and it's still the only usable MSFT os, so I'm not sure how well that holds.

difference is windows 7 gets security updates. Any current exploits on XP will never be patched.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

19 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

Um, but they will, and still are.

I was under the impression that it was paid supported only and it was expensive.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

9 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

Windows has a registry, mind you. I know it's an odd concept in the times of Linux and Unix and OS X (unix), but whoopdiedoo.

Have you ever used Kali to breach into a fully updated XP machine ? A 10 year old could do it. Look up the amount of unpatched vulnerabilities.

https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-26/product_id-739/cvssscoremin-9/cvssscoremax-/Microsoft-Windows-Xp.html

I didn't actually bother reading yours at first, but XP has a whole TWO more vulnerabilities? WOW!

Are you serious ? Did you bother to look at the scores ? Have you ever hacked an XP machine ?

As someone who uses Windows 98 on an almost daily basis, yes, I can genuinely say that I am serious.

Total Windows 10 vulnerabilities with score greater than 9 : 71 > Still being patched

Total Windows XP SP3 vulnerabilities with score greater than 9 : 227 > Abandoned by Microsoft and software developpers

XP is dead and no one should be using it.

Meh, so are HP-UX, Windows 98, and Vista, but I use all of them because somehow I'm not particularly terrified that my PC is watching me and sending my memes to Russia.

If you want to run vulnerable OS'es that's your business but don't go around advising people to do the same. This is basic computer security, a kid with an Alfa card and Kali on a USB stick would flip your entire system on it's back.

Just now, rrubberr said:

Luckily for me, those kids won't be using my computers, huh? I am apparently capable enough of exercising good judgement that it hasn't been an issue, however, ahem, I can't expect the same from everybody.

Either you're trolling or you have literally zero knowledge about the basic concept that is exploiting over the internet.

Dood ur such a haxor. Again, I'm not really scared enough that I'm going to take seriously the concept that someone wants my Windows 98 machine badly enough to go through four layers of firewalls, collude with my ISP to get my dynamic IP every four minutes, and gain access to my machine. I mean, really?

OP asked if he could run XP as a daily driver, the answer is no because OP probably doesn't have "four layers of firewalls". You are spreading misinformation based on the delusion that you are safe because nothing happened to your system.

"Collude with my ISP" that's some 1994 hacking terms right there mate.

And I'm a 1994 (ehrm) man. That being said, I would love to use it as my daily driver for a week or so. Basic common sense goes along way these days, but please, this is getting dangerously close to the eight year old in COD threatening to "hack you." XP blocked certain ports, your router blocks a lot of ports, your ISP obviously does the same.

Again, you seem to lack every bit of knowledge about the very basics of computer security. We're not even talking about 1337 technolistening jolt drinking blackhat hax0ring.

Windows XP and your Firewall blocks certain ports, yet some of them are also still open for you to do things, like port 123 for the Windows time server, 135 for RPC and DCOM,137,138,139 for NETBIOS over TCP, 445 for SMB and so on, those same common opened ports are the ones where vulnerabilities are exploited by attackers. There are ready made scripts available on thousands of websites tailored for Windows XP systems. Hacking into an outdated OS is so easy one would be completely nuts to use it as a daily driver. Your ISP doesn't provide any decent form of protection, so cross that one on your list.

I can hammer you with facts all day long but I have better things to do. Look up the Metasploit Framework, Lrn2compsec. 

8 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

Um, but they do though. At a bare minimum for their own sake, but let's, again, use at least a little common sense. Since it's so easy, I've got three instances of Server 2003 and a 98 box going right now. I'll leave em' on overnight just for you.

"For Metasploit to run properly, you must switch off anti-virus solutions and your local firewall before the installation and during its use," AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAhAHAHHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OOOH BOY.

So, in short, XP is only an issue if you're John Podesta.

I couldn't care less about your system, i'm proving a point here and that is XP or Win98 are shitty vulnerable OS'es, fact that you are too dense to comprehend but that's okay, there are people who believe the earth is flat.

Metasploit requires to switch off anti virus and local firewall .. on the attacker's machine. For obvious reasons. You are just ignorant and this is borderline cringy.

Yes, buddy, and their turning the frogs gay. With that being said, you don't get to audit quotations.

"For Metasploit to run properly, you must switch off anti-virus solutions and your local firewall before the installation and during its use."

I'm done talking to you, your delusion is equal only to your lack of knowledge on the subject. This is a tech forum and people who come here expect logical answers. You are literally the only one in here believing that old OS'es are safe and I challenge you to bring some facts supporting your statement instead of rambling incoherently like a twelve year old in a videogame store. Keep being ignorant but don't drag other people with you.

14 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

Muh IPV6 will protect meh

Where do i even start,

1) IPV6 doesn't protect you in any way and your IP doesn't change every microsecond.

2) The Internet is riddled with malware in all shapes and forms. You are stating that using XP or earlier is perfectly safe, please provide a source for your claims because cons like Black Hat, DEF CON, Toorcon, ShmooCon, RSA Conferences, BSides, AppSec California, OWASP, SANS, Kaspersky SAS, Suits and Spooks, WAHCKon, exploitation audit companies and penetration testing distributions would all love to disagree with you. You can get infected visiting a torrent website, you can get infected if you're running flash player, you can get infected by Adware and Ransomware. These are facts. 

But yeah, I bet you're so wiser than all of them combined, aren't you mate.