Cheap video editing software?

So, i'm interested in getting a video editor, about a year ago i got the 60 day Sony Vegas 13 trial, mastered it in the 60 days, i'd really like to have it again, but its out of my budget.

I've tried wondershare, but its too simplified in my opinion. Are there any other good ones Sub $100? 

CPU Ryzen 5 3600 -  GPU GeForce GTX 1060 3GB - MOTHERBOARD Asus B550 Plus - - HARD DRIVE WD Blue 1TB - MEMORY Corsair 16GB DDR4

Hitfilm 4 express + addons is pretty good
Davinci resolve is another

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

2 minutes ago, rattacko123 said:

Which one do you recommend the most?

CPU Ryzen 5 3600 -  GPU GeForce GTX 1060 3GB - MOTHERBOARD Asus B550 Plus - - HARD DRIVE WD Blue 1TB - MEMORY Corsair 16GB DDR4

5 minutes ago, TreesMadeOfTanks said:

Which one do you recommend the most?

hitfilm is better. It's kinda like premiere pro but you can also do compositing as well.

Davinci resolve is more for colour correction so if you are working with a camera it may be useful.
I suggest you try both, but the general consensus is that hitfilm is better

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

2 hours ago, rattacko123 said:

Hey, what kind of addons do you use? 

2 hours ago, AlanAlan said:

Hey, what kind of addons do you use? 

I don't actually use hitfilm express (I use premiere), but you can buy hitfilm ignite pro plugins which expands upon hitfilm express for $170, but I don't see any point for getting ignite when you could just get hitfilm pro (which comes with ignite, as well as several other improvements) for $300

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

-Crapbook

If I remember right you can get Premiere for slightly above 100 for a year

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

10 hours ago, rattacko123 said:

hitfilm is better. It's kinda like premiere pro but you can also do compositing as well.

Davinci resolve is more for colour correction so if you are working with a camera it may be useful.
I suggest you try both, but the general consensus is that hitfilm is better

No, DaVinci Resolve is better than HitFilm Express.  While Resolve doesn't include the compositing features inside, it can be paired with BlackMagic Fusion software.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

3 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

If I remember right you can get Premiere for slightly above 100 for a year

It's $240 per year. You are better off getting all the apps (after effects, photoshop, illustrator, etc) for $600 a year.

5 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

No, DaVinci Resolve is better than HitFilm Express.  While Resolve doesn't include the compositing features inside, it can be paired with BlackMagic Fusion software.

I suppose it is "better" but this is pro grade stuff. Hitfilm is more convenient to use, and Davinci resolve lacks features that you can find in editors like premiere while hitfilm has pretty much all you need to do things from basic editing all the way to 3d compositing.

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

-Crapbook

9 minutes ago, rattacko123 said:

It's $240 per year. You are better off getting all the apps (after effects, photoshop, illustrator, etc) for $600 a year.

I suppose it is "better" but this is pro grade stuff. Hitfilm is more convenient to use, and Davinci resolve lacks features that you can find in editors like premiere while hitfilm has pretty much all you need to do things from basic editing all the way to 3d compositing.

Every "free" version of Resolve and Hitfilm lacks stuff that can be found in the paid versions of Premiere and After Effects.  While HitFilm Express might offer editing and 3D compositing together, Resolve and Fusion (free versions) paired together can offer the same thing.  Working in a paired workflow of Resolve and Fusion is sort of like working in Premiere and After Effects.

The main issue is, what kind of editing does the OP want to do?

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

52 minutes ago, rattacko123 said:

Ah forgot that they want more for premiere compared to Photoshop and Lightroom. 

Now I havent personally used Hitfilm but I doubt the 3D composing will be that advanced since its free. Imo its better to have a software that is very good at what it needs to do instead of beeing average at all things. Like when I work with AE I don't use the built in 3D functions too much or the tracking as I have C4D which have a lot better 3D and motion tracking. Same for more general editing and not composing I would use Vegas Pro. (Haven't gotten around to learning Premiere as I pretty much stopped editing but I would like to pick it up again and then learn it as its way more intutive to use AE with Premiere than eith Vegas. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

I have used DaVinci Resolve and I liked it. While I did have to work around some audio and video codec limitations (I used ffmpeg) it did work well. I still prefer Premiere and use it when I can, but Resolve works fine too.

I like the color correction features of Resolve more than those in Premiere, but that would make sense as it is a program that is dedicated to color correction.

I heard about HitFilm and was thinking about using it, but I settled on DaVinci and didn't try HitFilm.

So thanks for reading guys, if this post sucked, I'm not sure what you can do, but if you liked it, go 'head and hit that like button, or maybe add me as a friend. Otherwise, go subscribe to LinusTechTips on YouTube, follow them on Twitch, follow @LinusTech on Twitter, and support them by using their affiliate code on Amazon, buying a cool T-shirt, or supporting them directly on this community forum.

• 4 weeks later...

Premier Pro CS2 is free via Adobe or you can go for Davinci Resolve

On 1/14/2017 at 7:36 PM, TreesMadeOfTanks said:

So, i'm interested in getting a video editor, about a year ago i got the 60 day Sony Vegas 13 trial, mastered it in the 60 days, i'd really like to have it again, but its out of my budget.

I've tried wondershare, but its too simplified in my opinion. Are there any other good ones Sub $100? 

Davinci Resolve is by far the best you can get for under $100, even better it's free!

It is one of the best color correction software's on the market and is a powerful editor at the same time. If you use old versions of Premiere you will run into comparability issues with footage and hardware, but resolve is kept current.

On 2/16/2017 at 0:12 PM, Chaos Network said:

-snip-

Isn't that like Piracy?

Why not just get Resolve?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking