Google Pixel & Pixel XL Review

Potato

Sounds like a similar verdict to some of the other reviews I've seen-on the surface, it's totally out-done by the competition, but, as I (somewhat accurately) quote MKBHD, you have to "use it to understand how great it is." A lot of reviewers are already choosing it as their favorite phone of the year, and I'm excited for the pixel 2 next year; I'm considering getting one.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

I'm not dead :(

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Such an awesome phone on the inside, yet boring on the outside. But lets be real, its not like this smartphone is behind the Galaxy S7/S7 Edge in terms of speaker and headphone jack performance (according to Pocketnow) and the build quality is also top notch, being the lens flare the biggest problem of the camera, yet correctable (which if by hardware, a case should fix it? and if by software, they already stated or launched an update to correct the issue). The water and dust resistance is not really the culmination of disaster if a smartphone doesnt come with... Did everyone said the Xiaomi Mi Mix was terrible for not being IP rated? Nope, because it was gorgeous and very high end, materials wise. Its sound quality is bad as heck tough, but its okay i suppose, since its more of a show off device with lack of LTE bands and it fixes most of these issues with its display and performance. Everything else seems to be on the level of almost perfect and had they taken advantage of front facing speakers all together, i think nowan could even complain about the device (Yes, back to the pixel). Very solid and very fast device made by Google and HTC, altough it is sad to see Huawei's absence on this project. Next thing you know, Nokia is making the Pixel 2 xD! Now that, would be an insane splash for the company next year for sure (yeah too late already i guess?).

Groomlake Authority

I've noticed its never mentioned on these reviews also, just how far the SOC performance is behind the identically priced iPhone. Considering this is a hardware channel you'd think it would get covered. 

I never get it, why they don't talk about the price or the design of it. 

Sure it might be extremly fast , has a good camera and an awesome software experience, but that is expected from a flagship device in that pricerange.

I find the design of it very unappealing, downright extremly ugly on pictures, and even more so in person. It looks like an iPhone with that strange Glaspanel at the back.

Minor nitpick: the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus have an IP67 rating, not IP68. 

Intel Core i5-4690 | MSI H97 PC MATE | Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (4x4GB) | SanDisk Extreme II 120GB SSD | WD Elements 3TB HDD (internalized) | XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB | Corsair 300R | EVGA 500W PSU | Windows 10 | 4480x900 (1440x900+1600x900+1440x900) | Dell AT101W | Logitech M305

Surface Pro 3 i5/8GB/256GB + 200GB MicroSD

A big part of why I got the 6P was the idea that I'd get all the new features and updates as time goes on. Bit sad I won't be getting Google Assistant or the notification swipe thing, despite being on 7.1.1. I do have the newer Pixel camera app with no shutter lag though, which is nice. 

Also, anyone complaining about MicroSD compatibility really needs to either learn to manage their storage, or get a bigger phone. I survived fine with a 16GB iPhone, 32GB G4 and currently am using 29GB on a 128GB 6P (only got such a big one 'cause of an awesome deal).

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

Suggestion for next phone reviews, how about testing audio recording performance while recording video? Some phones can reduce background noise while focus on the foreground sound like recording a concert or recording a singer in a bar. The LG V20 can reduce background noise while recording video. I'm curious on the Pixel's audio recording performance while recording video.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

For those that actually pay any attention to phone hardware, the Pixel is an unexceptional, run of the mill, 2016 phone.

The claim for it standing out from the competition is "amazing camera," that has specs in line with the rest of the competition, doesn't actually perform better than other cameras on the software level, just slightly different. Even if it is the "best," so what? That crown is passed around more than a bong in a circle of hippies.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

The attempted blow towards HTC is not really warranted here with the speaker issue as HTC is just the supplier. Google likely designed the product, and said to HTC: "Make this phone with these specs and this exact design," with HTC saying "Okay." They have no way of changing the phone's looks or specs because Google has defined the phone to be THAT way. At best, HTC could give Google some suggestions, but Google has the ability to turn them down saying "no, build it this way exactly."

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

If long press brings up a menu, then how do you move the icons on the screen ?

how many 'awesome' does luke say in this video? make me feel like hes being sarcastic.

Still dont like the thick bezels. the bottom part looks taller than the iphone bezel, where at lease iphone has a home button. the performance maybe good, but the design is really bad for me.

I wonder, if luke compared the Google Pixel to the Oneplus 3T would it still be his favourite?

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount