Can we call it dead yet!!

alright_MEATBAGS
1 hour ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Probably from Derek Smart and his co-conspirators. There were claims of discrimination but they were couldn't be backed up since the source was anonymous and most of wording was similar to things Derek Smart has said in the past. 

Derek is just fuelling the hate surrounding this game - I don't even know why he does it. Jealousy? He is, after all, a "Space sim" dev that never became super successful (Mostly because his games were often described as a buggy mess). I don't know. But I do know that he was the one that started the whole "Star Citizen is a pyramid scheme" movement.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

7 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Derek is just fuelling the hate surrounding this game - I don't even know why he does it. Jealousy? He is, after all, a "Space sim" dev that never became super successful (Mostly because his games were often described as a buggy mess). I don't know. But I do know that he was the one that started the whole "Star Citizen is a pyramid scheme" movement.

I believe he sees Chris as responsible for why his own game failed since Freelancer was such a success. At least that's what I can infer from his ramblings.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

11 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

I believe he sees Chris as responsible for why his own game failed since Freelancer was such a success. At least that's what I can infer from his ramblings.

You mean he thinks Freelancer's success resulted in the failure of his Battlecruiser AD games? I mean... those games are shit. Freelancer - while it has it's problems, is fucking good. I've beat the game probably a dozen times - I recently replayed it less then a year ago.

Derek can go fuck himself. If he wants his games to succeed, he needs to make good ones. Not blame Chris Roberts - who by the way, was only partially involved in the creation of Freelancer. During early development, he sold the rights to Microsoft (Since they were one of the few who could fund what he wanted), and he stayed on as a Consultant only. Microsoft took the reigns as project lead, and downsized the game like crazy (which in the end was probably a good call anyway, since most of the things Chris wanted weren't technically feasible yet).

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

You mean he thinks Freelancer's success resulted in the failure of his Battlecruiser AD games?

Yeah, pretty much what I'm guessing he thinks. All I know is that he has a long time grudge against Chris and that's probably his rationale despite how terrible it is.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

I doubt this game ever sees the light of day, shame really but that's what you get for pledging $50 million or whatever stupid amount it is, and using early access.

kickstarter & early access are two systems which should never ever ever mix.

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

13 minutes ago, treeroy said:

I doubt this game ever sees the light of day, shame really but that's what you get for pledging $50 million or whatever stupid amount it is, and using early access.

kickstarter & early access are two systems which should never ever ever mix.

134 million.

Squadron 42 is receiving polish, SC will then become priority while the lore team write episode 2. People wanted a bigger game and that's been shown by the extend time it's taken.

Also.. Shut up Butters!

43 minutes ago, rentaspoon said:

134 million.

Squadron 42 is receiving polish, SC will then become priority while the lore team write episode 2. People wanted a bigger game and that's been shown by the extend time it's taken.

Also.. Shut up Butters!

no, the devs wanted to exploit people's wallets by never finishing the game and continuing to push for more features. Its never gonna be finished but people are going to keep buying it in order to support the "extra features" their money will buy. That's the genius about Kickstarter, you can make people think that if they pay you more money they will actually get more.

It's not a scam but... they are smart guys.

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

I think the 30% done for PTU is a bit to much. Remember, the full game will contain 100 systems to go to. The problem right now is that the tech to run and build it all isn't done yet. Once that is done they can build new systems and planets really fast and complete the game. The reason it takes this long is because that tech didn't exist and they literally had to invent most of it. That's why people think its a scam. Building the stuff the artists need to create the game has taken so long and video's, or even blogs, etc don't show much of that so it looks like they're not doing anything while in reality they're working their asses off getting the tools ready to finish the game.

People are also quick to shout scam because as far as i know this is the first time in gaming history the full process from nothing to release is being publicly shown and most people had/have no idea how long building a game really takes. This game will take longer then avarage because of the insane scale of the game.

I have spend close to €400 atm and i consider that money spend, i don't want it back. Should it turn out that they can't or won't finish the game for whatever reason then i'll just thank em for trying or just say Touché for the wonderful and exceptional scam they pulled :D. i would be proud to have fallen for it.

Now can we please stop with these negative comments about the game, i'm getting tired of typing this.

I have no signature

1 hour ago, treeroy said:

no, the devs wanted to exploit people's wallets by never finishing the game and continuing to push for more features. Its never gonna be finished but people are going to keep buying it in order to support the "extra features" their money will buy. That's the genius about Kickstarter, you can make people think that if they pay you more money they will actually get more.

You know that it's feature locked right? And they are only selling what they have promised in game?

5 hours ago, treeroy said:

You don't seem to know that much about the project.

If you did, you'd already know all the major features have been locked in for... what... at least 2 or 3 years now. They aren't announcing new features anymore, and haven't for some time.

I remain optimistic. I watched the anniversarry stream and things are looking great.
You can see how far they have come. They even showed the Tools they have had to develop to be able to make the game in the engine.

But if you want an inside look at some of the reasoning for the delays and into the development.

Kotaku had a good article. (Link Below)

Inside the troubled development of Star Citizen - Kotaku

1 hour ago, PocketzDK said:

I remain optimistic. I watched the anniversarry stream and things are looking great.
You can see how far they have come. They even showed the Tools they have had to develop to be able to make the game in the engine.

But if you want an inside look at some of the reasoning for the delays and into the development.

Kotaku had a good article. (Link Below)

Inside the troubled development of Star Citizen - Kotaku

The thing is they needed to make the tools first a lot of people seem to forget that, and it has to be usable for public as they have offered these as modded tools.

Personally I like how simple some of the tools are and they are talking about allowing people to modify shaders on uniforms etc, if they pull that kinda of LoD off I'll be more than impressed

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 4:02 AM, VOLUNTEERbrowncoat said:

Can we officially say that star citizen turned into a scam and this game is about as dead as that possum we all pass on the way to work? At this point if the game does launch I'm not even sure it would make any money considering the fact that almost everyone who wanted the game already bought in and now gets to play semi-working but mostly broken gameplay features that were never suppose to be in the game in the first place. Add to the fact that this game has had multiple release dates spanning several years, and yes I mean several, considering this game was originally suppose to launch back in 2012, and at this point has changed their Terms of Service so many times and forced paying customers to agree to them, otherwise they can't even access the game they paid for 4 years ago. Maybe I am just ranting here, but I will give Star Citizen one thing, it is maybe one of the most successful and failed games in video game history.

Lets not forget that Star Citizen is built on CryEngine, and Crytech had this HUGE problem about a year into StarCitizen development...  That depleted a HUGE part of their resources.  I backed them almost $250 and I'm outrageously disappointed in it to be honest.

But it WAS NOT set for a 2012 release date.  Hell the Kickstarter only started in late 2011.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Whoop whoop! We've made it to page two of ignorance! Keep it coming guys, and I won't have to necro this post to remind OP that he's wrong when it comes out.

I only lurk... wait a sec-...

My only two contributions to society: SC Ship Guide / Squadron Logos

They've continuously released updates, patches, news and the like. And they have a big update coming for around Christmas/end of the year. It's nowhere near "dead".

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

11 hours ago, JefferyD90 said:

Lets not forget that Star Citizen is built on CryEngine, and Crytech had this HUGE problem about a year into StarCitizen development...  That depleted a HUGE part of their resources.  I backed them almost $250 and I'm outrageously disappointed in it to be honest.

But it WAS NOT set for a 2012 release date.  Hell the Kickstarter only started in late 2011.

You do realize that this doesn't matter and CIG even went ahead and picked up most of the developer that got laid down to help them modify the engine to their needs?

This is why they even opened the Frankfurt studio.

Did you know this forum has an unofficial/official Star Citizen group? Head over to our organization's page, numerous forum threads or our LTTC Discord Server to find out more.

6 minutes ago, Napper198 said:

You do realize that this doesn't matter and CIG even went ahead and picked up most of the developer that got laid down to help them modify the engine to their needs?

Actually CryTech running into those issues was literally the best thing that happened to CIG. It probably pushed their timetables forward by a couple years. Very little people had CryTech Engine coding experience aside from the CryTech devs that they managed to scoop up.

@JefferyD90 why are you disappointed? Can you give us some specifics? And why did you back so much? Did you buy one of the more expensive ships? I personally backed the Aurora Scout package - it was one of the cheapest packages that includes the full game and a single ship with lifetime insurance. Everything else I will earn in game.

As much as I would love for the game to come out ASAP, that's not gonna happen.  Also, let's not forget that ES:O was in development for 6-7 years, and it STILL came out as a mess.  SWTOR was in development 4-5 years, and it also had a rocky start.  Both of these MMOs that had smaller scopes than SC also had around 200 million dollar budgets reportedly. (although a lot of that was probably for marketing, whereas SC isn't really spending anything for marketing aside from their "commercials")

IDK how budgets work in games companies, but another thing to keep in mind is that SC didn't have a 130 million dollar budget for the entire development.  They started out with only a few 10s of millions.  They only broke 50 million two years after the campaign started.  

I know they made it seem like it would be out sooner than it would be, and I'm a bit angry with the way they've handled things recently with cash only sales, but as long as they release the game with 90%+ of their promises fulfilled before 2020, i'm fine with it.

4 hours ago, Napper198 said:

Its a huge part of it because it was right in the middle of their transition to a 64bit game.  Took them almost 6 months longer than planned.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

On 27/11/2016 at 4:36 AM, JefferyD90 said:

Its a huge part of it because it was right in the middle of their transition to a 64bit game.  Took them almost 6 months longer than planned.

It's only the positioning they converted to 64 bit, the engine has always been 64bit.

The Devs wanted to much because of the huge pile of Money and now they cant come to an end. I still hope it will be good, but i know it cant keep up to its Hype.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

On 11/14/2016 at 3:22 AM, porina said:

I'm only indirectly interested as I got a free account with an AMD GPU purchase previously. It does seem to be taking forever, in part due to the shifting goals. Would be better if they stuck to the original plan and released that before looking at expansions.

Free account?! I would love that! I just dropped over $2k on the parts to build a new computer with the primary motivator being Star Citizen. I saw the V2 video and now I have to get the game...

...and then I found out that what they show off in that video is not available in the game.

Then I found out about the add-on, S42, got excited.

Then found out that's not available.

Now there's another add-on, Star Marine.

I don't know if it's available.

It sounds like all the game offers right now, albeit pre-release, is flying around in ships and running around on space stations.

The big thing that drew me to Star Citizen was/is the galaxy to explore as presented in the Loremaker's Guide to the Galaxy videos combined with the V2 video, leading me to believe that I'll be able to fly an explorer-type ship across the galaxy, find a planet, fly through its atmosphere, land, and discover stuff. Jump back on the ship, and go have more adventures all over. Not just zoomed out from a top-down perspective over a large scope of space or zoomed in scope of just a single setting, but a truly expansive, detailed, massive galaxy with potential to expand to other galaxies across the universe. (That last part, other galaxies, I doubt we'll ever see that, but it'd be great.) Seeing the V2 vid with the procedural planet, that is exactly what the game needs to make these things possible.

On 11/14/2016 at 3:26 AM, Space Reptile said:

the biggest problem is that the boss (insert name here) wants "more pretty tech demos" than actual game ,

he also is over ambitious and aims to release a AAA+ game on a indie budget

I've noticed a lot of effort has gone into marketing the game with those demos and scripted videos, it seems more is going into that than actually finishing the advertised release version of the game. I don't know, though, I'm still new to all of this, only found out about SC a couple months ago.

In RSI chat, people were saying different people/teams make the demo videos than the actual game, which is pretty obvious that that would be the way to go, but there is no evidence pointing either way. Personally, I don't care as long as the finished/official release product meets all the hype like with that amazing V2 video.

As far as budget goes, I'm pretty sure they have more than an indie budget.

On 11/14/2016 at 3:27 AM, SCHISCHKA said:

Compare these game with how BF1 did their free beta; BF1 is going to get solid sales for the next two years but Star citizen is giving themselves a bad name by making people pay for a beta product with no guarantee of a stable release.

I was in the Family & Friends test of Stargate Worlds and it was never officially released, but that game was also free. They released a shooter mini-version of SGW, Stargate Resistance, similar to how SC is coming up with add-ons or smaller versions of the game basically serving as samplers.

The obvious difference between SC & SGW, SC has a lot more funding. The not so obvious difference, is how truly effective management is with actually moving the project forward to completion. At least not yet, we cannot know until it is actually released. I believe SC will be officially released, though, unlike SGW. I just question how good it will be. I hope it will be a impressive as the V2 vid.

On 11/14/2016 at 6:57 AM, porina said:

I did buy into Elite: Dangerous at kickstarter time.

I just heard of that for the first time last week, is it any good?

On 11/14/2016 at 9:00 AM, abyss03 said:

I'm personally happy just to sit hear and get drip fed star citizen content and wait in the long haul for Squadron 42

Isn't S42 just an add-on (like an episode) to SC?

On 11/14/2016 at 9:05 AM, Corwin111 said:

No - we can not call it dead, quite the opposite. What you call " semi-working but mostly broken gameplay features that were never suppose to be in the game" are features that are very much part of the game and are getting less and less broken as the Alpha progresses.

Team Fortress 2 - 9 Years

Prey - 11 years

Diablo III - 11 years

Where is SC at now, the 5-year mark? Started dev in 2011? I don't know, either way if it's at the X-year mark now and it appears to still be cooking up some progress - at whatever pace - what other games also met the same X-year mark and ended up dying? What kinds of games were they? How do they differ from this, in the games themselves and how they were managed and funded?

On 11/14/2016 at 11:39 AM, Napper198 said:

but it is not dead, it's more alive than ever when you actively follow it and I'm still happy with the progress and looking forward what we will see the next 2-3 Months

I certainly hope it's not dead! I am building a shiny new computer so I can play Star Citizen. :P

Wasn't there something disappointing announced at a recent SC event? Delays on progress with something? I forget, someone mentioned it in RSI chat.

On 11/17/2016 at 2:00 AM, RS2007GOD said:

Im still tempted to buy it just to try it. Gonna wait a lil longer though maybe mid 2k17 or later

I'm going to go ahead and buy it as soon as the new computer is all set up and ready for it.

On 11/24/2016 at 5:46 AM, rentaspoon said:

Episode 2? I thought SC is technically episode 1, or basically the main game itself, with S42 functioning as a type of episode 2? I'm confused. :S 

Really, I'd just like for them to focus entirely on getting the main game completed before getting distracted with lots of add-ons, episodes, etc. ...but I guess I have to assume that SC management has a justifiable reason for spreading things thin and wide instead of thick and deep. Oh well, either way, I'll be happy if the end result is a good game along the lines of the V2 vid.

On 11/26/2016 at 6:07 AM, JefferyD90 said:

I backed them almost $250 and I'm outrageously disappointed in it to be honest.

Why are you disappointed?

On 11/26/2016 at 0:50 PM, Gyre-Taenn said:

Whoop whoop! We've made it to page two of ignorance! Keep it coming guys, and I won't have to necro this post to remind OP that he's wrong when it comes out.

There's no point in taking any sides. Either the game will be released or not. It will be good or not. Siding one way or the other is a senseless distraction. I was excited about SGW, but it was never completed, I was pretty bummed out but life went on. I built a new computer for that game, too, so after the game bombed I ended up putting the computer to great use with other stuff. :D If the same happens with SC, I'll do the same.

On 12/1/2016 at 7:38 AM, Praesi said:

The Devs wanted to much because of the huge pile of Money and now they cant come to an end. I still hope it will be good, but i know it cant keep up to its Hype.

I am brand new to the Star Citizen scene and, from these fresh eyes on all-things-SC, I can see that there is a lot of hype, and I'm getting into it. I will even buy into it, but only the USD$60 for SC+S42. I will not pay anything beyond that until either the in-game pre-release content is so impressive that I go ahead or until the game is officially released and is so impressive that it warrants dropping more cash into the cow.

8 minutes ago, KCmetro said:

snip

Usually around events they're attending they make the current build free to play for a week so you can check it out. The last event was CitizenCon early October.

Star Citizen is the MMO, Squadron42 is the single player campaign. Star Marine, like Arena Commander, is the ingame simulator, which comes free with either game (Squadron42 version might be limited to offline). And yes, that stupid Squadron42 addon isn't in the store for some reason. You can only find it when you click the Fly Now button on the main page. Customer service might help you out here.

Breaking Squadron42 into episodes is in order to release a "finished" product faster (and bank on those who wait for a release). This is also why most of the workforce (artist, designer) is focused on that and since CR wants to surprise us, most of that stuff is kept secret. Hence the appearance of a lot of development but no real progress.

I also want to point out that a good 3rd of the bugs they're fighting are remains of old systems that were put into place to have a functioning build for the masses until a better, more suitable system for release was developed. Bugsmasher playlist

The demos are heavily scripted because the builds are highly unstable. Doing anything wrong might lead to ugly bugs or straight up crashes. And even sticking to the script still exposed some bugs. I remember the Gamescom demo from 2015 where they showed 2.0. Things didn't go as expected but they did manage to release it 4 months later.

Did you know this forum has an unofficial/official Star Citizen group? Head over to our organization's page, numerous forum threads or our LTTC Discord Server to find out more.

21 minutes ago, KCmetro said:

Free account?! I would love that! I just dropped over $2k on the parts to build a new computer with the primary motivator being Star Citizen. I saw the V2 video and now I have to get the game...

...and then I found out that what they show off in that video is not available in the game.

Then I found out about the add-on, S42, got excited.

Then found out that's not available.

Now there's another add-on, Star Marine.

I don't know if it's available.

It sounds like all the game offers right now, albeit pre-release, is flying around in ships and running around on space stations.

The big thing that drew me to Star Citizen was/is the galaxy to explore as presented in the Loremaker's Guide to the Galaxy videos combined with the V2 video, leading me to believe that I'll be able to fly an explorer-type ship across the galaxy, find a planet, fly through its atmosphere, land, and discover stuff. Jump back on the ship, and go have more adventures all over. Not just zoomed out from a top-down perspective over a large scope of space or zoomed in scope of just a single setting, but a truly expansive, detailed, massive galaxy with potential to expand to other galaxies across the universe. (That last part, other galaxies, I doubt we'll ever see that, but it'd be great.) Seeing the V2 vid with the procedural planet, that is exactly what the game needs to make these things possible.

I've noticed a lot of effort has gone into marketing the game with those demos and scripted videos, it seems more is going into that than actually finishing the advertised release version of the game. I don't know, though, I'm still new to all of this, only found out about SC a couple months ago.

In RSI chat, people were saying different people/teams make the demo videos than the actual game, which is pretty obvious that that would be the way to go, but there is no evidence pointing either way. Personally, I don't care as long as the finished/official release product meets all the hype like with that amazing V2 video.

As far as budget goes, I'm pretty sure they have more than an indie budget.

I was in the Family & Friends test of Stargate Worlds and it was never officially released, but that game was also free. They released a shooter mini-version of SGW, Stargate Resistance, similar to how SC is coming up with add-ons or smaller versions of the game basically serving as samplers.

The obvious difference between SC & SGW, SC has a lot more funding. The not so obvious difference, is how truly effective management is with actually moving the project forward to completion. At least not yet, we cannot know until it is actually released. I believe SC will be officially released, though, unlike SGW. I just question how good it will be. I hope it will be a impressive as the V2 vid.

I just heard of that for the first time last week, is it any good?

Isn't S42 just an add-on (like an episode) to SC?

Where is SC at now, the 5-year mark? Started dev in 2011? I don't know, either way if it's at the X-year mark now and it appears to still be cooking up some progress - at whatever pace - what other games also met the same X-year mark and ended up dying? What kinds of games were they? How do they differ from this, in the games themselves and how they were managed and funded?

I certainly hope it's not dead! I am building a shiny new computer so I can play Star Citizen. :P

Wasn't there something disappointing announced at a recent SC event? Delays on progress with something? I forget, someone mentioned it in RSI chat.

I'm going to go ahead and buy it as soon as the new computer is all set up and ready for it.

Episode 2? I thought SC is technically episode 1, or basically the main game itself, with S42 functioning as a type of episode 2? I'm confused. :S 

Really, I'd just like for them to focus entirely on getting the main game completed before getting distracted with lots of add-ons, episodes, etc. ...but I guess I have to assume that SC management has a justifiable reason for spreading things thin and wide instead of thick and deep. Oh well, either way, I'll be happy if the end result is a good game along the lines of the V2 vid.

Why are you disappointed?

There's no point in taking any sides. Either the game will be released or not. It will be good or not. Siding one way or the other is a senseless distraction. I was excited about SGW, but it was never completed, I was pretty bummed out but life went on. I built a new computer for that game, too, so after the game bombed I ended up putting the computer to great use with other stuff. :D If the same happens with SC, I'll do the same.

I am brand new to the Star Citizen scene and, from these fresh eyes on all-things-SC, I can see that there is a lot of hype, and I'm getting into it. I will even buy into it, but only the USD$60 for SC+S42. I will not pay anything beyond that until either the in-game pre-release content is so impressive that I go ahead or until the game is officially released and is so impressive that it warrants dropping more cash into the cow.

Love the interest you've got in the game - I'm stoked too, and the vid you linked was jaw dropping when I first saw it (still is today). First thing's first: The game is in Alpha - meaning that there's still a lot of work to be done. The releases we get to actually play aren't the newest internal builds either, so some of the stuff shown off does work, just not well enough to be released to the public alpha yet.

SQ42 - Squadron 42 - is the single player campaign for Star Citizen. It uses the same Game Engine and many of the same mechanics, but will be a heavily story driven single player experience, akin to the Wing Commander games of old. Episode One of SQ42 is coming out soon-ish. They're just putting on the polish, according to reports. You can think of Episode One as a campaign. They are planning on releasing new Campaigns over time (probably as expansion pack style purchases - or DLC, but I have no confirmation on whether they will charge for the additional episodes or not).

Star Marine is basically a multiplayer FPS mode for the game. It's main purpose is to show off the FPS style gameplay mechanics. The final release, with the Persistent Universe (PU), is going to combine a lot of these things together, so FPS will be something you can do. Eg: Fly your ship out to a derelict asteroid base, jump out, fight a bunch of pirates in FPS style combat, and claim the base as your own (or loot it, etc). Of course, we won't see how all of it works until it's done, but this is the idea. Star Marine is going to be like deathmatch, capture the flag, etc, multiplayer match based gameplay, whereas FPS is just going to be a general component of the Star Citizen PU.

Right now you can do three things in Star Citizen:

1. Hanger Module - this is basically just a test mode that displays (shows off) all your ships in a virtual hanger. You can explore the ships, get in the various seats/stations, but you can't fly it, etc.

2. Arena Commander - This is basically multiplayer dog fighting, contained in "maps" that are basically slivers of a solar system (A space station, above a planet, an asteroid field, etc)

3. Player Test Universe - this is the "alpha" stage of the Persistent Universe. Currently it's bound to a single solar system. Eventually, they'll expand that out to dozens of systems (I've heard a figure of around 60-ish Systems - probably going to be expanded after release too). Each system will be significantly more in-depth compared to a system in Elite: Dangerous, which has possibly millions, but most are barren or have nothing interesting in them.

Elite is pretty fun if you like the grindy experience it offers. There's a lot to explore, but there's a lot of boring stuff out there too - the downside of a procedural galaxy. They are slowly adding new gameplay mechanics though to try to combat this.

Star Citizen started development in late 2011, but that was like a 6-man team. Kickstarter was in October of 2012. REAL development didn't start until 2013, since that's when they had money to start building their studios. So it's been in development for just around 5 years, but realistically, it's only been 3 years of actual progress.

There was a delay on Star Marine, and on some other things. They just didn't want to release a shitty subpar module. Star Marine was originally outsourced, before their team was fully established, and they ended up having to redo a lot of the work, since the outsourcing was kind of shoddy. Lessons of game development I guess.

For those who are on the fence: Just wait! Wait until the game is out, then you can know what you're getting into. I myself was a Kickstarter backer, since I can afford to lose the money I backed with (I think it was around $40 or so). If the game never comes out? Oh well, I won't miss that $40. If it does? Sweet!

I think some people need to reign in their hype though - some users have spend hundreds or even over a thousand dollars on buying in-game ships. Now remember, you don't have to use money to buy ANYTHING in-game. All ships will be purchasable using in-game currency, earned from missions, trading, salvage, etc. Obviously the big corvettes are gonna be very expensive in-game, and that will take a long time to earn. So if you're wealthy, and don't want to wait/grind, sure buy one. But for me? I plan on earning enough in-game money to buy the biggest ship.

2 hours ago, KCmetro said:

more than an indie budget.

well therre crowdfunding was 137,711,961 (137m) and they raised that in 2012 ,

well the bulk of that , a few million kept creeping in via the subs and ships,

but thats NOT alot of money for a AAA+ nextgen title thats ment to look superband have ALL the features,  

mean gta5 was 200m in marketing alone , but rockstar is a different caliber of studio 

but 137million is a good budget if you are a big studio like ubisoft/ea/stc and have an established team , but RSI is everything but 

and its been over 4 years now that money has to become dire 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list