Survey for mac owners.

mrchow19910319

How often do you upgrade your hardware. a.k.a how often do you purchase new macs.   

110 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you upgrade your hardware. a.k.a how often do you purchase new macs.

• I upgrade whenever Apple comes out with new model. (Cutting edge tech is important to me, also I have the budget, so why not?)
    • Within 3 years. (Mostly I try to use what I have, but sometimes the newer model is hard to resist. I hate impulse purchase but sometimes it feels great to own what you wanna own immediately.)
    • 3-5 years. (Typical electronics life expectancy here.)
    • More than 5 years. (I love my hardware and I treat them with care. My macs can last more than 5 years easily.)
    • No matter how old the machine is, if it works, I will use it. When it dies I throw it away and buy the latest highest end one and make it last as longer as it could. (I am not poor, by any means. But I treat my financial decisions very carefully because every bit counts. )

On 10/22/2016 at 6:05 PM, Enderman said:

Speaking for my dad here, it would be either the last or the second last option.

Same here as well, we still have the iMac early or late 2008 with the Core 2 Duo, DDR2 2GB Firepro 2600. It's seriously slow, my phone is faster or at least the Nvidia Shield. Shuts off when it gets boiling point, too much work to take it apart and clean it.

I have a question about people using Macs if they are using Apple peripherals. I as a PC user think that it is a stupid idea to use their unergonomic, super-overpriced and badly designed peripherals? (Talking about their newest mouse, which when charging is unusable, like seriously? What the hell?)

Well here's the deal: OS X and I don't get along well so I haven't been a Mac user for a long time, despite personally owning various Mac's. I just recently got a first gen MacBook(which is 10 years old!), but I don't have any immediate plans for "replacing" it(although I am oddly attached to my MacBook and my wifes retina MacBook). I might get a new MacBook depending on what Apple announces in the next few days...

My wife on the other hand upgrades every 2-5 years, and she upgrades to machines that accommodate to her current needs(for example, she replaced a 2013 15" MBP with a 2015 retina MacBook, since its smaller and has a longer battery life). 

1 hour ago, Laggger164 said:

Totally agreed. I think that apples magic mouse is totally to lure you to use their magic track pad. If you use a track pad you will find that it is a totally different story. Apple 's track pad is one of the best if not the best track pad out there. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

4 hours ago, AkatsukiKun said:

Same here as well, we still have the iMac early or late 2008 with the Core 2 Duo, DDR2 2GB Firepro 2600. It's seriously slow, my phone is faster or at least the Nvidia Shield. Shuts off when it gets boiling point, too much work to take it apart and clean it.

Time to buy a new one I think.......

I snagged an old Power Mac G5 that is fully loaded and upgraded (spent about $350 on it). I call it the Dust Collector because I almost never even touch it (Not even sure were it is to be honest). I remember it being a fairly heavy piece of flashy junk that I used for some light-medium video editing when I converted all family recordings/photos to digital

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

9 hours ago, tatte said:

Earlier you told your RAM usage is often close to 100%, that is definitely going to impact performance. You should also rule out overheating issues in any case. If you do get more RAM, make sure to get the right speed as the only way to "underclock" too fast RAM will be to stick a slower stick of RAM into the mix. 

mac OSX looks like linux in resource management, it looks like its using more RAM than it actually is because of caching. That RAM used for cache isn't a concern

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

On 10/23/2016 at 10:15 AM, RypeDub said:

What makes Macs live so long is how locked down their version of Debian Linux is. At macOS's core is Debuan Linux, and they even removed apt-get lol

I love macOS, it's soooo clean. It's fricken stable and if you spend time to expand the Debian system core: it's probably the best system you'll ever use (besides crap support for Graphics hardware in terms of Gaming).

I'm sorry, I hate to be that guy, but how has nobody corrected you on this yet? macOS is not based on the Linux kernel, and is definitely not Debian. macOS runs on the Darwin XNU kernel, which is based on the BSD kernel. They have similarities, but are also very different and shouldn't be confused. I'm not going to lecture you on this, but I just had to point it out.

Linux Kernel 

BSD
Darwin

macOS

Debian

EDIT: I read my own links, and Darwin is apparently the name of macOS itself, which runs on the XNU kernel. The more you know I guess?

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

6 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Totally agreed. I think that apples magic mouse is totally to lure you to use their magic track pad. If you use a track pad you will find that it is a totally different story. Apple 's track pad is one of the best if not the best track pad out there. 

Agreed, once you use an Apple trackpad you will really wonder what those pathetic things on most laptops are. MS are moving in the right direction with the precision touchpad spec, but even their Surface Pro ones are tiny and awful to use. 

Also, I think people throw the "ergonomic" term around a bit too much - used a Magic Mouse for 6 years when I had an iMac and never had any issues with it, and as the design hasn't changed since 2009, obviously it seems fine for many other people too!

16 minutes ago, daniielrp said:

Also, I think people throw the "ergonomic" term around a bit too much - used a Magic Mouse for 6 years when I had an iMac and never had any issues with it, and as the design hasn't changed since 2009, obviously it seems fine for many other people too!

Yeah. I think that we still have to give apple some credit. Their products are pricy. But at the same time they last longer than their competition. And some features are so good once people get used to it, they can never go back. Windows 10 trying to copy Apple's mission control and multiple desktops. But they implemented wrongly. With a mouse it is never feel as smooth as a Mac. 

1 hour ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Yeah. I think that we still have to give apple some credit. Their products are pricy. But at the same time they last longer than their competition. And some features are so good once people get used to it, they can never go back. Windows 10 trying to copy Apple's mission control and multiple desktops. But they implemented wrongly. With a mouse it is never feel as smooth as a Mac. 

Likewise, I did enjoy using mission control (F3) and Widgets (F4) on the iMac. When I stopped using OSx it was just habit to command+tab or alt+tab. It was good design, my only concern or at least thought was OSX updates, it's stuck on 10.7.* (can't remember specifically, early 2008 iMac with the metal bezel/boxy shape) or I don't know how long their product support is when comes to OSX not iOS cause we all know how long they supported the iPhone 4S.

44 minutes ago, AkatsukiKun said:

Likewise, I did enjoy using mission control (F3) and Widgets (F4) on the iMac. When I stopped using OSx it was just habit to command+tab or alt+tab. It was good design, my only concern or at least thought was OSX updates, it's stuck on 10.7.* (can't remember specifically, early 2008 iMac with the metal bezel/boxy shape) or I don't know how long their product support is when comes to OSX not iOS cause we all know how long they supported the iPhone 4S.

It just lost support for Sierra, but it supported El Capitan. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

6 hours ago, AkatsukiKun said:

5 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

It just lost support for Sierra, but it supported El Capitan. 

What you guys talking about???

You can still use f3 and f4 for mission control and calling out all the apps right???? 

I am using sierra. f3 key and f4 key is still functional.... 

10 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

What you guys talking about???

You can still use f3 and f4 for mission control and calling out all the apps right???? 

I am using sierra. f3 key and f4 key is still functional.... 

I'm referring to his iMac from 2008 -- it just lost support. He can install up to El Capitan on it. 

Since you dragged me into your f3/f4 crap, I find them to be useless. It's much easier to just use the trackpad (plus I, personally, never use/want to use the app-drawer -- f4 -- spotlight is faster).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Ehh, LTT doesn't allow talking about Hackintosh so I'm not gonna contribute any content related to Macs or Apple.

I beatbox 

9 minutes ago, RypeDub said:

Ehh, LTT doesn't allow talking about Hackintosh so I'm not gonna contribute any content related to Macs or Apple.

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

I'm referring to his iMac from 2008 -- it just lost support. He can install up to El Capitan on it. 

Since you dragged me into your f3/f4 crap, I find them to be useless. It's much easier to just use the trackpad (plus I, personally, never use/want to use the app-drawer -- f4 -- spotlight is faster).

Oh... you meant it lost its support.... I see. sorry xD

14 minutes ago, RypeDub said:

??????????????????????????

For me I got my air like 1 year ago but I think I'm gonna use it until I suck all of the value out of it.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

@tatte   Hey, one thing I wanna ask you.

If let's say that I wanna buy a second hand macbook pro. 

How do I make sure that the machine works 100%?

Is there any sort of stress test/screen test I need to do????

What do you do, every time you bought a machine??? I am afraid someone selling me a machine with hidden problem. 

2 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

@tatte   Hey, one thing I wanna ask you.

If let's say that I wanna buy a second hand macbook pro. 

How do I make sure that the machine works 100%?

Is there any sort of stress test/screen test I need to do????

What do you do, every time you bought a machine??? I am afraid someone selling me a machine with hidden problem. 

You can run a stress test or do the exchange at an Apple store (and ask them to run their diagnostic suite), but there is always the risk of a serious underlying problem that you won't realistically find/see.

If you buy with paypal, then they basically always side with the buyer.  

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

My Macbook Pro 13 inch mid 2010 laptop still works great. Only reason I upgraded to an XPS 15 is because it could not run the heavy programs. Bootcamp is great for running native Windows software but at the end of the day there are certain hardware limitations too. 

I did however replace the HDD with an SSD, up the RAM from 4 to 8GB and changed the battery after 4.5 years. 

I'm actually reformatting it to give to my parents so they can facebook and look up recipes better than they do on their old dusty iPad. 

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

2 hours ago, Daveeede said:

My Macbook Pro 13 inch mid 2010 laptop still works great. Only reason I upgraded to an XPS 15 is because it could not run the heavy programs. Bootcamp is great for running native Windows software but at the end of the day there are certain hardware limitations too. 

Heavy programs such as???

I have a

May 2009 MBP <- Has Adobe CS5 LEGALLY. Doesn't work very well.

- 2.93ghz dual core

- 4gb ram

December 2010 MBA <- Still works reasonably well

- 1.4ghz dual core

- 4gb ram

Neither are i5s :(

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

I have the first retina MacBook Pro model from mid 2012. It still works great, battery life is still reasonable. I bought the top of the line model with a 2.7 GHz CPU and 16 Gb of ram. I'm still really happy with it, never had any problem.

Anyway, I will upgrade, depending on the announcements this week, mainly because I need more battery life.  

Business Management Student @ University St. Gallen (Switzerland)

HomeServer: i7 4930k - GTX 1070ti - ASUS Rampage IV Gene - 32Gb Ram

Laptop: MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2018

Operating Systems (Virtualised using VMware): Windows Pro 10, Cent OS 7

My 2006/07 Mac Pro is still going strong:D

Through the years, I've upgraded the RAM, the GPU, added more HDDs, and swapped the original 2 x dualcore with 2 x quadcore. As it is right now, there really isn't anything that can be upgraded further. I'm using it as a server and it's perfect for the time being, but if I wanted to use it as my main computer I'd probably have moved to something newer.

~ Specs bellow ~

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit [UEFI]
CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000