Survey for mac owners.

mrchow19910319

How often do you upgrade your hardware. a.k.a how often do you purchase new macs.   

110 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you upgrade your hardware. a.k.a how often do you purchase new macs.

• I upgrade whenever Apple comes out with new model. (Cutting edge tech is important to me, also I have the budget, so why not?)
    • Within 3 years. (Mostly I try to use what I have, but sometimes the newer model is hard to resist. I hate impulse purchase but sometimes it feels great to own what you wanna own immediately.)
    • 3-5 years. (Typical electronics life expectancy here.)
    • More than 5 years. (I love my hardware and I treat them with care. My macs can last more than 5 years easily.)
    • No matter how old the machine is, if it works, I will use it. When it dies I throw it away and buy the latest highest end one and make it last as longer as it could. (I am not poor, by any means. But I treat my financial decisions very carefully because every bit counts. )

4 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Ah...... Apple is losing its fanbase...

Even core user like you consider pc as a good alternative....

It's kind of sad... 

I only got myself familiar with mac after the 1st iphone came out.

Mind if I ask you that through out the history of mac, do they cost as much as today??? 

What I mean is that when you buy your 2003 macbook, the mac g4&g5 do they cos as much as today's machine? where windows pc can cost half of the price tag??

Does apple always make their customer pay this much of extra??? Or it is a recent year phenomenon, because of iphone become more and more popular so apple decided to charge more extra when it comes to mac cos apple knows that the consumers will be lured into their eco system.

Hope I made myself clear. 

Edit:typo.

The new Macs aren't that much extra. They range from being priced competitively with the competition to being 30%~ more expensive (but having better battery life/trackpad/oled bar/ssd/iGPU/etc...). 

This year the Macs saw a price hike, but in previous years they were mostly always competitive (except for a couple year period before the retina models were released).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

The new Macs aren't that much extra. They range from being priced competitively with the competition to being 30%~ more expensive (but having better battery life/trackpad/oled bar/ssd/iGPU/etc...). 

This year the Macs saw a price hike, but in previous years they were mostly always competitive. 

Thanks for the info! 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

5 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Does apple always make their customer pay this much of extra???

Like djdwosk97 says, the build quality and the feature are something you pay for. And for the brand, everybody loves Apple.

So of you sell a Mac, you can always get some money for it, they are always in demand.

22 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

I mean no disrespect, but you are the only person that I've known of saying that ipad pro can one day replace your mac. 

I wonder what kind of work do you do??? Cos for me, even let's say that I can do all my work on an ipad I still wouldn't trade my mac for it. 

If between macOS and iOS I have to choose one, I will always go for MacOS. 

I am a primary school teacher. When I am in the class, I teach using my iPad, mirrored to the whiteboard via an Apple TV. I also have an Apple Pencil which offers an excellent writing experience, but I didn't get the Smart Keyboard as I couldn't justify the asking price. 

I am doing increasingly more tasks on my 9.7” iPad Pro (I got the 4G model). Emails. Light content creation (presentations and simple documents). Review teaching material (all my teaching material has been uploaded to Dropbox, which I then download to my ios devices through the Documents app, which functions as a poor man's file manager). I have even recorded screencasts. What I like about my iPad is that it is the perfect compromise of ease of use, portability and battery life for me. 

At home, my iPad is my entertainment device. I read news and browse the web on it (even now, I am on my couch replying to your post from my iPad). I watch YouTube, listen to podcasts and music, do light gaming, follow Twitter. The iPad has a plethora of tablet apps optimised for this. For example, there's Overcast for the iPad but not for the Mac. 

Limitations - It's not all roses and rainbows. I find that I still need a Mac to lay the groundwork for my iPad. For example, I use a Mac to convert word documents to PDFs and upload them to Dropbox so I can import them to my PDF managenment app of choice (though it helps now that Office for iPad supports the Apple Pencil). I am still more comfortable working on word documents and spreadsheets on my 27” iMac (because of the larger screen space). I have typed simple word documents on my iPad. It's surprisingly doable, and I will probably get better the more I do it, but right now, it still feels awkward and unwieldy.

I still can't export files from my iPad to a thumb drive. It's funny. I had a create a tribute video over the weekend. I surfed the web, downloaded a few video clips from YouTube (using a workflow app), them strung them together using iMovie. But I was stymied at the last step when I needed to save the video clip to a thumb drive to pass to my colleague. Ended up airdropping to my Mac. 

I can't download torrents on my iPad, so I still need a computer for that. I do stream content to my iPad via Airvideo. 

It's like the iPad is about 80% of the way there for the much of the work I do, but it's always the last 10-20% which trips me up or require tedious workarounds. Here's hoping Apple addresses these pain points in subsequent software updates. 

But at this point, I might turn on my Macs only on weekends? On normal days, I find myself reaching for my iPad more and more because it's just so accessible. At this point, I am simply more comfortable working on iOS compared to macOS. Which is why my next Mac just might be a subsequent iPad Pro. 

6 hours ago, abazigal said:

WOW. Do you teach literature? You just wrote an essay for me..... LOL

1st gave me a little bit of background.

Then list of all the circumstances when you are/aren't using the ipad. 

Then list out all the pros and cons of using it.

In the end gave me a conclusion: "This is why I prefer ipad pro instead of a Mac ".

Old habits die hard huh??? When you are talking to others do you HAVE TO answer every question in such a logical way??? 

xD

12 hours ago, rnlddbr said:

Like djdwosk97 says, the build quality and the feature are something you pay for. And for the brand, everybody loves Apple.

So of you sell a Mac, you can always get some money for it, they are always in demand.

Yeah. I know... now my 2012 non retina macbook is still worth $650 on the second hand market. lol i was amazed...

16 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

WOW. Do you teach literature? You just wrote an essay for me..... LOL

1st gave me a little bit of background.

Then list of all the circumstances when you are/aren't using the ipad. 

Then list out all the pros and cons of using it.

In the end gave me a conclusion: "This is why I prefer ipad pro instead of a Mac ".

Old habits die hard huh??? When you are talking to others do you HAVE TO answer every question in such a logical way??? 

xD

Nah, just English and math. Had some free time and it's not so the first time I have been answering similar questions and I guess it just felt like second nature to me. 

Hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed typing it. :P 

Have a late 2013 iMac I still very much use. I did want to go mobile and switch to mac book pro... but there is nothing pro about the new releases so that won't happen any time soon. That said, the iMac works well and no complaints. Will probably use it for a few more years if it lasts.

19 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Yeah. I know... now my 2012 non retina macbook is still worth $650 on the second hand market. lol i was amazed...

If you buy a new Mac, the value is even higher

2 hours ago, rnlddbr said:

If you buy a new Mac, the value is even higher

lol...

I was offered 900 for my 2012 MBPR if I bought another Macbook/Mac Pro in return.

28 minutes ago, rnlddbr said:

I was offered 900 for my 2012 MBPR if I bought another Macbook/Mac Pro in return.

Ebay shows similar results. I could probably sell my late 2013 15"/16gb/PCIE 256gb for $1200~ (initial cost: $2200 three years ago). Meanwhile, I could sell an equivalent XPS 15 from the same period for around $700 (initial cost: $1900 and no SSD). I don't recall what other laptop I was looking at when I decided to go with my rMBP, but it was some Lenovo laptop that was priced similarly. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

11 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Ebay shows similar results. I could probably sell my late 2013 15"/16gb/PCIE 256gb for $1200~ (initial cost: $2200 three years ago). Meanwhile, I could sell an equivalent XPS 15 from the same period for around $700 (initial cost: $1900 and no SSD). I don't recall what other laptop I was looking at when I decided to go with my rMBP, but it was some Lenovo laptop that was priced similarly. 

Higher resell value. I did not know it was that much higher though. Lol.