We're out of ideas (Pre-production Job Announcement)

I never got an email so I guess I must've been eliminated for some reason :/. anyway good luck to the rest of you!

Can't wait for another opportunity, maybe as a video editor.

I am curious about why I was not accepted, Was anybody who selected "Other" for "Are you currently legally eligible to work in Canada?" knocked out of the running? I know that I won't likely get a response but I am still curious.

--EDIT--

Ah ok on the applacation page at LinusMediaGroup.com says 

"NOTE: Only applicants that are currently legally permitted to work in Canada will be considered..."

And I am not currently eligible so I guess after the whole Dennis thing they didn't want to deal with filling out more paperwork, I can definitely understand that and I am sure they will find somebody grate for the job!

Please "Quote" me if you want me to see your response.

Well, maybe if the Canadian Immigration website was still up.....no nevermind. 

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

3 hours ago, Justin_ said:

--EDIT--

Ah ok on the applacation page at LinusMediaGroup.com says 

"NOTE: Only applicants that are currently legally permitted to work in Canada will be considered..."

And I am not currently eligible so I guess after the whole Dennis thing they didn't want to deal with filling out more paperwork, I can definitely understand that and I am sure they will find somebody grate for the job!

Aw man, that sucks. Are you eligible for one at least? Did you mention that in the field next to "Other"? It's possible they just filtered everything down to "Yes" in the spreadsheet, but it sucks that you're excluded like that. Something like "Am eligible and will have one if selected for interview" I would think is reasonable. But I don't know in what timeframe new work permits are issued, and I don't know what cost is associated with it.

You're probably right, though; After the Dennis debacle, they probably don't want to have to deal with handling that again, especially for a new hire they don't know.

6 hours ago, Runefox said:

Aw man, that sucks. Are you eligible for one at least? Did you mention that in the field next to "Other"? It's possible they just filtered everything down to "Yes" in the spreadsheet, but it sucks that you're excluded like that. Something like "Am eligible and will have one if selected for interview" I would think is reasonable. But I don't know in what timeframe new work permits are issued, and I don't know what cost is associated with it.

You're probably right, though; After the Dennis debacle, they probably don't want to have to deal with handling that again, especially for a new hire they don't know.

Yes I selected "Other" and then mentioned something about how I dont currently have a Canadian work permit, but I am fully eligible to get one.

Please "Quote" me if you want me to see your response.

On 11/8/2016 at 3:06 PM, nicklmg said:

I don't believe there is an official deadline, but I'd recommend submitting by 11/20 for best results :)

I can't guarantee that that means we will be reviewing all applications soon after that date, but I think that would comfortably place you in the "considered" pile!

Replying to that email or submitting a properly labeled email in a new thread to info@linusmediagroup.com would both be considered "acceptable."

Thank you nick.

Friendly reminder to my fellow applicants: The "soft deadline" is in two days, so be sure to finish up soon!

I'd entertain the idea of helping LMG open an office in the GTA if they're looking to move east, :D

On 11/18/2016 at 1:20 PM, Runefox said:

Friendly reminder to my fellow applicants: The "soft deadline" is in two days, so be sure to finish up soon!

I'll be getting mine in soon! 

Also thanks for the info 
@nicklmg

On 10/21/2016 at 6:00 PM, Dan Castellaneta said:

Yeah, lemme see how much tickets from one of the United States' most expensive airports to Canada will cost me...

fuck, I only got $20.

it may be a good idea to check out GreyHound, I hear a ticket from Washington State to Arizona is only $7 right now.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

On 11/8/2016 at 2:06 PM, nicklmg said:

I don't believe there is an official deadline, but I'd recommend submitting by 11/20 for best results :)

I can't guarantee that that means we will be reviewing all applications soon after that date, but I think that would comfortably place you in the "considered" pile!

@nicklmg I submitted a tad bit late. I hope that's fine.

Just wanted to give it a little extra polish. =]

I'm also an artist and a photographer so I included some awesome desktop wallpapers (an incentive for y'all to look at it). :D

You know, now that I think about it, working for LMG would necessarily mean being forever spoiled on upcoming LTT/TQ/CSF videos. A tragedy, but such sacrifices must be made. :P 

More seriously, I do wonder how many applications they actually received. I just keep having this mental image of Linus buried under a hundred reams worth of resumes.

9 hours ago, Runefox said:

You know, now that I think about it, working for LMG would necessarily mean being forever spoiled on upcoming LTT/TQ/CSF videos. A tragedy, but such sacrifices must be made. :P 

More seriously, I do wonder how many applications they actually received. I just keep having this mental image of Linus buried under a hundred reams worth of resumes.

I think the digital equivalent of "buried under hundreds of resumes" is "RIP inbox."

• 2 weeks later...

Eh, well I never got an e-mail :( So I suspect me not having a Canadian work permit was the issue. Despite this, I will apply again; in the future when I get either Philippine residency or a Canadian work permit.

My Dream Job List:

1. CIA

2. US Gov't

3. LMG

4. ISP CEO

5. ???

6. Field Medic

7. McDonalds Burger Flipper

8. DMV Agent because I've ran out of things to think about and I wish to be grumpy all of the time.

Lunix Is An Illegal Hacker Operating System

| [CPU] Intel i7 5960X (4.5GHz) | [Mobo] ASUS Rampage V E10 | [RAM] G. Skill Ripjaws 4 64GB (8x8GB) | [CPU Cooler] Custom Acrylic | [OS Drive] Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD | [Storage] WD Black 4TB (x2 RAID 0) | [GPU] ASUS GTX 980 (x2 stock) | [PSU] Corsair AX1200i | [Case] Corsair 900D | [Keyboard] Corsair K95 Platinum | [Mouse] Corsair Dark Core RGB | [speakers] Logitech Z906 | [Monitors] ASUS VS278Q-P (x3 27"s) |

25 minutes ago, PiGHamM3R said:

Eh, well I never got an e-mail :( So I suspect me not having a Canadian work permit was the issue. Despite this, I will apply again; in the future when I get either Philippine residency or a Canadian work permit.

Yeah, from what I gather, LMG has basically had their fill of jumping through legal hoops after the Dennis work permit odyssey. It's not easy on the employer because they need to do a labour market impact assessment and basically get grilled by the government on why a Canadian couldn't fill the position instead. It seems like the "ideal point of entry" for a foreign worker looking to join LMG is to get a work permit and a job with a different employer first, or be an international student with a general work permit. As many Americans are finding, emigrating to Canada isn't exactly easy.

At any rate, I don't expect any of the applicants will have heard back definitively yet. I don't know how many applications they've received, but I imagine it's a non-zero number with at least three digits; That many scripts is a little more than a weekend read. I'm personally hoping for the next "round" to start before Christmas, but that's wishful thinking on my part; @nicklmg is on record saying it'll probably be a couple of months before the dust settles, but that's in total. We'll have to see how things play out from here.

At any rate, to everyone who applied, once again I wish you luck, and I wish @nicklmg and the rest of the team the least amount of sleep loss possible throughout this whole process. High-profile postings like this can't be easy to manage.

Indeed. I work with the US Government right now and I already have an Afghanistan work Visa... so I don't think a Canadian work visa would be as hard to get... and if I were to ever get that e-mail saying "We heard you, now come"; I may just be in the position to pay for my own visa (instead of footing the bill to them)... and work holidays, and nights, and weekends, and be security... my truck has heat (I already work 12-18h shifts every day, and am on all 24/7; nothing new).

I'd suspect they've had a few thousand applications, with 3 million subscribers and all...

But here's to wishing the most out of it, for everyone; including the LMG staff which are up to their eyeballs in scripts... and Tarren is probably floating somewhere amongst it all.

Lunix Is An Illegal Hacker Operating System

| [CPU] Intel i7 5960X (4.5GHz) | [Mobo] ASUS Rampage V E10 | [RAM] G. Skill Ripjaws 4 64GB (8x8GB) | [CPU Cooler] Custom Acrylic | [OS Drive] Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD | [Storage] WD Black 4TB (x2 RAID 0) | [GPU] ASUS GTX 980 (x2 stock) | [PSU] Corsair AX1200i | [Case] Corsair 900D | [Keyboard] Corsair K95 Platinum | [Mouse] Corsair Dark Core RGB | [speakers] Logitech Z906 | [Monitors] ASUS VS278Q-P (x3 27"s) |

20 minutes ago, PiGHamM3R said:

I'd suspect they've had a few thousand applications, with 3 million subscribers and all...

Probably, though the Google Forms application process would have weeded out a fair chunk of would-be applicants by virtue of not being legal to work in Canada. Then again, I wonder how many assumed they're legal to work in Canada?

Just update on there twitter page they say there about halfway going throw the applications and that was December 1.

So fingers crossed for all of you.  

On 2016-10-21 at 1:19 PM, anybodykek said:

Too bad I don't live in Vancouver :P

Be thankful you don't. The cost of living is ridiculous over here.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

On 21/10/2016 at 10:43 PM, nicklmg said:

If the idea is interesting and we can somehow make it relatable to the general audience, it's a good idea no matter what aspect of tech it stems from. We originally thought that server videos weren't suitable for the average LTT crowd, but some of them are among our most viewed videos.

My advice would be to give it a shot and see what happens. No sense in counting yourself out before you even try :)

I enjoy server vidos more than anything else

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

5 hours ago, eLucid said:

Be thankful you don't. The cost of living is ridiculous over here.

Well, in Vancouver proper, sure. I've been digging into the cost of living in the greater Vancouver area like Surrey and Langley and it's not actually that bad at all. ... At least, it's pretty similar to here in St. John's.

Just now, Runefox said:

Well, in Vancouver proper, sure. I've been digging into the cost of living in the greater Vancouver area like Surrey and Langley and it's not actually that bad at all. ... At least, it's pretty similar to here in St. John's.

I'm in west point grey. I still stand by my statement :)

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Hi all just anther update they are still going throw applications so it going to be while :)  

Fingers crossed hoping that they manage to get through everything before the new year.

On 12/2/2016 at 4:05 PM, Trevor87 said:

Just update on there twitter page they say there about halfway going throw the applications and that was December 1.

So fingers crossed for all of you.  

Considering I submitted mine very late, it's probably on the bottom of the list lol.

On 12/5/2016 at 8:34 AM, Runefox said:

East of the Fraser River you will find pretty large homes for a "cheap" price. West of the Fraser River is a whole other story.

On 12/7/2016 at 9:48 AM, Runefox said:

Fingers crossed hoping that they manage to get through everything before the new year.

Same here.

@nicklmg how's the progress going?

Linus has been reviewing applications over the past couple weeks, and apparently did some 1st round interviews over the weekend.

Still working through a few more, but if you haven't heard back by the end of the year it's safe to say that you did not make it through the first round :(

Thanks everyone for submitting!!