Why is Java insecure? Buggy or vulernable open source components

Mira Yurizaki

http://www.zdnet.com/article/why-is-java-so-insecure-buggy-open-source-components-take-the-blame/

Veracode, a computer security company in the US, examined a bunch of Java apps to determine what made them vulnerable. It turns out 97% of all apps it examined contained at least one package with a known vulnerability. The most popular one is the Apache Commons Collection:

"The Java deserialization vulnerability in Apache Commons Collections is an interesting example of an open-source, third-party component vulnerability, because it went from unknown to critical and highly exploitable, and because it was widely used in a variety of standard 'infrastructure' applications; web servers, application servers, CI servers," noted Veracode.

"It's worth noting that the issue was not just in the infrastructure applications, but in any application that uses Apache Commons Collections v.3.0 - 3.2.1 or 4.0. Addressing this vulnerability requires a broader response than just patching servers; it requires visibility into the component supply chain for all your applications."

you forgot this:

• Your thread must include some original input to tell the reader why it is relevant to them, and what your personal opinion on the topic is.

i think java is insecure purely because of how old it is while it tries to remain backwards compatible. maybe also because its a very abstract language? i dunno, i don't know enough about java compiling and coding to have a good opinion on this.

java sometimes is exactly like flash, outdated, overused and waiting to die off.

no matter how useful it sometimes is, backwards compatibility can kill it if you need efficient and save work.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

55 minutes ago, Bsmith said:

java sometimes is exactly like flash, outdated, overused and waiting to die off.

no matter how useful it sometimes is, backwards compatibility can kill it if you need efficient and save work.

I think Java needs a replacement without all the backwards compatible code.

C# would be awesome except you can't use it too much on Linux or Mac. It's practically Windows exclusive.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

40 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I think Java needs a replacement without all the backwards compatible code.

C# would be awesome except you can't use it too much on Linux or Mac. It's practically Windows exclusive.

C++ 11 onward is a perfectly fine replacement. It has the largest community both open and closed source with all the high-level abstraction and low-level access you could want. It also doesn't have all the overhead of virtual interpreted languages such as Java or the .NET family.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Aren't Opens Source Components part of the selling point for Java?

(I absolutely hate Java both as an end-user and as someone who worked with Java development)

.NET is teh future.

Unfortunately Java won't go away anytime soon because of legacy applications in corporations that aren't willing to pay for the transition to something more stable and efficient.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

46 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

C++ 11 onward is a perfectly fine replacement. It has the largest community both open and closed source with all the high-level abstraction and low-level access you could want. It also doesn't have all the overhead of virtual interpreted languages such as Java or the .NET family.

sounds good, does it also allow for software like filezila etc? that stuff is actually the only reason for me to have Java installed

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

48 minutes ago, Bsmith said:

sounds good, does it also allow for software like filezila etc? that stuff is actually the only reason for me to have Java installed

As in a file share? Yes. I have never personally used filezilla, but Google Drive and Drop Box are restful C++ services.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

1 hour ago, Bsmith said:

the FTP protocol is not dependent on any language, some are just easier to code them on than others. you can run an ftp client or server from almost anything (although its use is debatable).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Transfer_Protocol

5 hours ago, tlink said:

you forgot this:

i think java is insecure purely because of how old it is while it tries to remain backwards compatible. maybe also because its a very abstract language? i dunno, i don't know enough about java compiling and coding to have a good opinion on this.

Backwards compatibility doesn't really fit into that, Java is actually good about fixing depreciated code. The main problem in my opinion is the accessibility Java provides. The other end of that coin is the lack of control Java gives to progammers. This leads to problems in having the ability to patch security issues on a case by case basis in some instances, especially if it's a pre-compile time issue. An example is the lack of memory control. If you somehow get a memory leak in Java there isn't a way to fix it with a buffer or something simple. It would require utilizing a different library or rewriting the entire code block in a different way.

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

5 hours ago, Remixt said:

Backwards compatibility doesn't really fit into that, Java is actually good about fixing depreciated code. The main problem in my opinion is the accessibility Java provides. The other end of that coin is the lack of control Java gives to progammers. This leads to problems in having the ability to patch security issues on a case by case basis in some instances, especially if it's a pre-compile time issue. An example is the lack of memory control. If you somehow get a memory leak in Java there isn't a way to fix it with a buffer or something simple. It would require utilizing a different library or rewriting the entire code block in a different way.

so its mainly due to how abstract java language is if i understood that correctly?

18 minutes ago, tlink said:

so its mainly due to how abstract java language is if i understood that correctly?

That's the short of it pretty much

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

Abstraction is necessary for portability, and that's a big deal in enterprise. Many companies don't want to risk expensive software being tied to a single OS.

Java probably won't die soon, but probably will be moved to different use.

Like I saw a guy developing a 30 something KB OS designed for Internet of things and embedded systems. Didn't look into it that much,  but apparently java flexibility allowed them to build something pretty efficient for embedded systems. (They coded it without packages)

9 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Java probably won't die soon, but probably will be moved to different use.

Like I saw a guy developing a 30 something KB OS designed for Internet of things and embedded systems. Didn't look into it that much,  but apparently java flexibility allowed them to build something pretty efficient for embedded systems. (They coded it without packages)

I'm curious about this because why would you use a language that requires to run essentially a VM for an embedded system?

3 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I'm curious about this because why would you use a language that requires to run essentially a VM for an embedded system?

A VM removes dependencies for a specific set of hardware, something embedded systems are very picky on, so that allows a Java program that was compiled in a modern desktop to work everywhere from a telephony system to a airport billboard and so on. The same JAR or WAR works in more than one system, which cannot be said for other languages such as C++. The caveat here is the run-time of the VMs need to match in order for this to work, which often ends up on a reliance in horribly outdated Java versions.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

1 minute ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

A VM removes dependencies for a specific set of hardware, something embedded systems are very picky on, so that allows a Java program that was compiled in a modern desktop to work everywhere from a telephony system to a airpot billboard and so on. The same JAR or WAR works in more than one system, which cannot be said for other languages such as C++. The caveat here is the run-time of the VMs need to match in order for this to work, which often ends up on a reliance in horribly outdated Java versions.

Well I understand that, but to me, adding a VM to run an OS to run an application on an embedded system to me is "lolwhy?"

But I guess it depends on how much power is available. I'm used to thinking embedded systems in the range of Cortex M3/M4 or using old processor cores.

2 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Well I understand that, but to me, adding a VM to run an OS to run an application on an embedded system to me is "lolwhy?"

But I guess it depends on how much power is available. I'm used to thinking embedded systems in the range of Cortex M3/M4 or using old processor cores.

Because for each one use case, there are multiple embedded systems to deal with. Think about it like this: would you rather write an application that simply works while outsourcing the compatibility work to the higher-ups in the tech world, or would you rather have to learn about the kinks of each individual unit that you will likely never see again and program your way through them?

Flexibility is a big thing in the enterprise world, because with flexibility you save time and therefore save money.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

cough cough minecraft.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

cough cough minecraft.

I'm pretty sure Minecraft doesn't use open source components. It's just buggy proprietary code.

Moving on from this, I feel like we need open source games :).

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

4 minutes ago, themctipers said:

cough cough minecraft.

wat?  Java is insecure because of Minecraft?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

wat?  Java is insecure because of Minecraft?

I'm sure he meant that Minecraft was insecure cos of Java........

4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I'm pretty sure Minecraft doesn't use open source components. It's just buggy proprietary code.

Moving on from this, I feel like we need open source games :).

Half Life 2, CSS

2 minutes ago, dexxterlab97 said:

Half Life 2, CSS

As in, MORE open source games which are RECENT.

7 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

As in, MORE open source games which are RECENT.

Battle for Wesnoth

0AD

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>