HP Spectre Review

Amazon: http://geni.us/uaT2POC

The new HP Spectre looks GREAT. It's thin, it's light, it's got a "premium" style... But what sacrifices does it make to be so darn visually appealing?

And here I'm still using an old ass Sony VGN-FZ240E that has a Core2 Duo T7250.....wish I had money :(

How come the 8GB ram limitation wasn't mentioned in the review? I'm assuming it's soldered in, and non-upgradeable on that form factor, and I can't find a version with 16GB on Amazon.

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

If you explain your rationale behind not including battery life numbers I promise to stop pestering you about them in the comments of every laptop review.

5 hours ago, LucidMew said:

How come the 8GB ram limitation wasn't mentioned in the review? I'm assuming it's soldered in, and non-upgradeable on that form factor, and I can't find a version with 16GB on Amazon.

Well it is in the category of what we used to call a "netbook":  intended for office use. If 8 gigs doesn't cut it for you then the 256/512gb is probably also not cutting it. If you do video/photo editing or some IT work then you are not in the demographic of this laptop. 

I have an envy laptop Linus, so I understand your pain with the smart pad or whatever that mousepad is called. I wish laptop manufacturers would bring back the seperate left/right click buttons on laptops, I do miss that feature.

Speaking about missing things, you should some include some battery testing at least, because then if people within the laptops demographic watch this video, they could make a decision solely on your video, which is something I hope you also want.

Also the B-roll shots at 1:03-1:19 is bad. You focus on 1 inch of the laptops back and than scroll from side to side or something, but you don't have a full shot of the laptops back. Not all that important, just kind of annoyed me to keep watching a tiny bit of the laptop into focus for so long. 

Overall still a great review thanks LTT :) I'm also not in the demographic but it's always fun to see what new stuff is available.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

that laptop is just slightly worse speced then my laptop from school, only i have a shit firepro card in mine too lol, anyway i would just snap the spectre in the middle in like a day because its so thin and i would do something stupid with it :P 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I want it.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Hey, congrats on 3 million subs, LMG! @CPotter

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

18 hours ago, nicklmg said:

SNIP

i was very very very disappointing that there was no testing with the razer core. that would have been an interesting test IMHO

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

Saw it at Best Buy the other day and I like it. Thinking about getting this or some other ones that's on my list. I wished it used DDR4 instead of DDR3L and the only DDR4 out there now are those gaudy gaming laptops that scream you're a 12 year old.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On 1-9-2016 at 5:28 PM, spwath said:

I want it.

I have the HP spextre x360 13 (the new one)

IMO it's better because it has a touchscreen and it's much cheaper in Europe.

Looks great but I would rather have some heft to my laptop.  And a PSA to every laptop manufacturer: Please stop removing some many ports.  I would rather not have to buy adapters after spending $1,000+ on the machine itself.  

• 3 months later...

What would you choose: HP Spectre 2016 or Microsoft Surface Book (without GPU)?

My use wouldn't be for gaming. I want a thin and light notebook for usual work (windows OS) and one to last for 5 years (is that possible?)