Apple's new file system: introducing APFS

Looks like Apple is doubling down on security with their new file system (accessible if you have access to Sierra).

The new file system offers an improvement over Apple’s previous full-disk encryption File Vault application. For one, APFS supports encryption natively instead of through File Vault. There are three modes of operation: no encryption, single-key encryption, and multi-key encryption with per-key files and another key for sensitive metadata. Both AES-XTS and AES-CBC cypher variants are supported, "depending on hardware." This lets you apply an adaptable amount of encryption depending on what your security needs might be—from "I don’t care" to "I don’t want anyone swiping the disk out of my computer" up to "NO ONE ELSE MUST KNOW MY SECRETS."

While it's still in development, it looks to add a lot of support over HFS+ for additional features usually found in newer file systems such as ZFS.

What's new:

• Native encryption support (not Filevault) - single-key, multi-key, and per-key files and metadata. 
  • Nano-second time stamps (improvement over 1 second in HFS+) - important for tracking order of operations
  • copy-on-write for additional crash and power loss protection
  • Fast directory sizing for near instant queries
  • Snapshots and clones for better backup management with TimeMachine
  • Space sharing - thin provisioning. 

In my personal opinion this is great. While a lot of users won't see a benefit from this, it's a huge improvement from HFS+ - I'm a little excited about the feature they're calling "space sharing" which sounds similar to thin provisioning for VMs. 

Source: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/06/digging-into-the-dev-documentation-for-apfs-apples-new-file-system/

Giggity. Giggity. Gimme.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

51 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

-snip-

Anyways, this looks like this is going to be completely useless and/or irrelevant for the majority of people using a Mac computer. Even though, good on Apple for stepping up their game. 

It seems apple is taking a full-security approach with their new ideas/innovations.

I like the idea of adaptive encryption according to what hardware you are sporting as most people use devices that don't contain a TPM chip to use Bitlocker, it is handy to be able to do full-disk encryption at a partition format level as opposed to application level where the cipher key can be obtained (in a non-commercial environment, commercial typically use Keysign servers such as PGP).

Love the idea of quicker directory sizing also.

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

23 minutes ago, ThatsCanadaDry said:

Anyways, this looks like this is going to be completely useless and/or irrelevant for the majority of people using a Mac computer. Even though, good on Apple for stepping up their game. 

Completely agree - the average user won't notice/benefit from these improvements. They'll likely benefit from software that's build on-top of these innovations though. 

2 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

People shit on Apple for a lot of things.

Shit like this is why I don't shit on them for the sake of shitting on them.

Thx for being smart fam.

That sounds super awesome

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

meanwhile others are still sticking to a 20 year old file system 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

13 hours ago, Belgarathian said:
  • Fast directory sizing for near instant queries

Oh man, I want this for my media server.  But for windows.  lol, like that would ever happen.

And where is Microsoft in all of this?  They're still using NTFS.  Clearly other companies don't have any issues making progress in this space.  And they didn't even need to!

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

13 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

And where is Microsoft in all of this?  They're still using NTFS.  Clearly other companies don't have any issues making progress in this space.  And they didn't even need to!

I'm guessing it's either "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" or legacy support keeping NTFS alive. Maybe both.

Also, I want to note that the new file system apparently won't launch along side Sierra but will come later. And I can understand why. They want to test it thoroughly and probably want to avoid millions of corrupted drives if there are critical issues.

1 minute ago, Trixanity said:

I'm guessing it's either "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" or legacy support keeping NTFS alive. Maybe both.

Also, I want to note that the new file system apparently won't launch along side Sierra but will come later. And I can understand why. They want to test it thoroughly and probably want to avoid millions of corrupted drives if there are critical issues.

This is definitely something that needs to be put through its paces before going out to the public! :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

43 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

ABFS will ship with Sierra but with a caveat, it won't be bootable. You can use it on secondary drives but not your main drive. 

Wondering if it's worth the few hours it'll take to create a time machine then test out the preview on my hackintosh, I've got the DMG already.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

ABFS will ship with Sierra but with a caveat, it won't be bootable. You can use it on secondary drives but not your main drive. 

Wondering if it's worth the few hours it'll take to create a time machine then test out the preview on my hackintosh, I've got the DMG already.

I suppose that's reasonable. I mean you gotta test it somehow. Although I'm guessing there is a way (or will be) to test the new file system as a boot drive unless they intend to do that all internally.

But I think what people really want to know is when their main drive will be running the new file system.

1 minute ago, Trixanity said:

I suppose that's reasonable. I mean you gotta test it somehow. Although I'm guessing there is a way (or will be) to test the new file system as a boot drive unless they intend to do that all internally.

But I think what people really want to know is when their main drive will be running the new file system.

Yeah, it's the same approach MS took with ReFS and it's a sensible approach. 

Apparently they're dropping support for 2009 Macs meaning the Mac Pro 3.1 system definition won't work, this will mean the large majority of Hackintosh users will be stuck on El Cap which will suck. Guess I'm spending the shit load of hours to create a custom DSDT for my board so I can use a Skylake definition :(

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Now if only Windows supported any half decent file system.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

4 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Can you imagine if this was launched before proper testing... Oh man, the Chaos. Apple would go back to 1996 overnight. It's one thing to have an app crash on you, but what if the file system fails do you have to format and reinstall, or can you recover and rebuild?

5 hours ago, Trixanity said:

It's definitely legacy support at this point. Windows is horribly non-modular. If you tried to swap out NTFS then everything would break. That's why even the new ReFS is very similar to NTFS.

Quote from the Building Windows 8 blog about ReFS:

When we look at the file system API, this is the area where compatibility is the most critical and technically, the most challenging. Rewriting the code that implements file system semantics would not lead to the right level of compatibility and the issues introduced would be highly dependent on application code, call timing, and hardware. Therefore in building ReFS, we reused the code responsible for implementing the Windows file system semantics. This code implements the file system interface (read, write, open, close, change notification, etc.), maintains in-memory file and volume state, enforces security, and maintains memory caching and synchronization for file data. This reuse ensures a high degree of compatibility with the features of NTFS that we’re carrying forward.

Underneath this reused portion, the NTFS version of the code-base uses a newly architected engine that implements on-disk structures such as the Master File Table (MFT) to represent files and directories. ReFS combines this reused code with a brand-new engine, where a significant portion of the innovation behind ReFS lies. Graphically, it looks like this:

8015.NTFS-and-ReFS-file-systems_64354781.jpg

16 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

That sounds super awesome

If only I gave a shit about Macs.

On a more serious note, this kind of thing would be nice on IOS.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

OSX PowerUsers rejoice!  Finally a better filesystem 

I might actually upgrade from mavericks to Sierra

Ultimate XP gaming system build log coming soon!  Q8200 // 8GB DDR2 // Asus P5E Deluxe X48 // Asus 4870 DARK KNIGHT X-Fire // Supreme FX sound // BFG Ageia PhysX PCI Co-Processor // AX 860x with Silverstone extensions 

Is it safe to assume this is ZFS? lol