Corsair HX1000i or Seasonic Platinum Fanless 400w

dragonber1

I have no price limit but I want something reasonable that is not high priced. My objective is to make a very silent PC. The corsair HX1000i has a fan but I have read that it stops at medium/ low loads that is why as my computer uses a max of 400 watts I thought that it wouldn't spin. This PSU costs 250€ in my country. My other choice is a 400w Seasonic Platinum Fanless. This is a Fanless PSU so I won't have any worries about fan noise. Hovever there is a cover over the PSU in my case(nzxt s340) and I don't know if it is compatible with this setup. This PSU costs 120€ in my country. Both PSUs are platinum and can handle my PC perfectly. Which of them could give me a 0db operation with the best efficiency at the lowest price?

well the fan less would be a guaranteed silent choice and the HX1000i would be really really overkill so it wont be giving the best efficiency 

11 minutes ago, dragonber1 said:

I have no price limit but I want something reasonable that is not high priced. My objective is to make a very silent PC. The corsair HX1000i has a fan but I have read that it stops at medium/ low loads that is why as my computer uses a max of 400 watts I thought that it wouldn't spin. This PSU costs 250€ in my country. My other choice is a 400w Seasonic Platinum Fanless. This is a Fanless PSU so I won't have any worries about fan noise. Hovever there is a cover over the PSU in my case(nzxt s340) and I don't know if it is compatible with this setup. This PSU costs 120€ in my country. Both PSUs are platinum and can handle my PC perfectly. Which of them could give me a 0db operation with the best efficiency at the lowest price?

is this a serious post?

Actually, to make it stable u have to add at least 1 case fan, so...

But u can use noctua coolers, they are dead quiet.

1 hour ago, TheRandomness said:

Take everything seriously.

@dragonber1 Rest of specs please.

Specs:

case: Nzxt s340

cpu: Intel i7 4790k

mobo: Asus z97-a

gpu: Asus gtx 970

ram: crucial ballistix tactical 16gb

hdd: WD green 2tb

ssd: x2 Samsung 850 pro

psu: cooler master 750w Storm 

52 minutes ago, dragonber1 said:

Specs:

case: Nzxt s340

cpu: Intel i7 4790k

mobo: Asus z97-a

gpu: Asus gtx 970

ram: crucial ballistix tactical 16gb

hdd: WD green 2tb

ssd: x2 Samsung 850 pro

psu: cooler master 750w Storm 

1000W is way too much, 550 is good enough. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

19 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Ok thx

21 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Actually for max efficiency , most PSUs are most efficient at roughly 50% load so technically a 850w would be the most ideal if OP is looking for max possible efficiency no? 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

3 hours ago, paprikman said:

Actually, to make it stable u have to add at least 1 case fan, so...

Not true at all

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

1 hour ago, spwath said:

Not true at all

No? R u sure? So the radiator can efficiently move hot air away with simple convection? Not even close.  You have to have at least tiny airflow if u want this sht to run any serious loads.

I have a NAS machine with haswell xeon, passive cooled psu and cpu, but without 1 case fan this thing runs 'stable' at 70 C. With one intake case fan - 55 C.

19 minutes ago, paprikman said:

No? R u sure? So the radiator can efficiently move hot air away with simple convection? Not even close.  You have to have at least tiny airflow if u want this sht to run any serious loads.

I have a NAS machine with haswell xeon, passive cooled psu and cpu, but without 1 case fan this thing runs 'stable' at 70 C. With one intake case fan - 55 C.

Yes, if you have a big enough heatsink.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm550x-power-supply,4484-5.html

I would suggest getting the Corsair RM550x if your concern is noise.

2 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Actually for max efficiency , most PSUs are most efficient at roughly 50% load so technically a 850w would be the most ideal if OP is looking for max possible efficiency no? 

Since efficiency level is only ~2% difference at 20%+ loads, spending more for a higher wattage unit just to get the "ideal efficiency" isn't that beneficial.

Even then a setup with an overclocked Haswell i7 and Asus GTX 970 would be under 300wDC, so a 550w would be more "ideal".

Just now, quan289 said:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm550x-power-supply,4484-5.html

I would suggest getting the Corsair RM550x if your concern is noise.

Since efficiency level is only ~2% difference at 20%+ loads, spending more for a higher wattage unit just to get the "ideal efficiency" isn't that beneficial.

Even then a setup with an overclocked Haswell i7 and Asus GTX 970 would be under 300wDC, so a 550w would be more "ideal".

I know :D just stating that's how you get the max efficiency :D 

3 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

What about when he is just browsing the internet ? As mentioned above, a 550W is the better option.

Just now, lee32uk said:

What about when he is just browsing the internet ? As mentioned above, a 550W is the better option.

*underload max efficiency :D and that's only like 40w total so it's okay...while 2% with 400w is 8w difference you know...

3 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

The efficiency affects your power bill almost nil. Unless you run a hefty system 24/7 then you really don't need to buy a PSU where efficiency is of any concern

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

The efficiency affects your power bill almost nil. Unless you run a hefty system 24/7 then you really don't need to buy a PSU where efficiency is of any concern

10 hours ago, dragonber1 said:

the best efficiency

Gave him the best efficiency thou...oh well...(I know an extra 4w isn't going to affect a power bill very much :P)

If I end up going for the fanless psu will it work fine on my case? The s340 has a cover on top of the PSU so the hot air cannot ascend like Seasonic recommends in its webpage, can I put this PSU upside down so that it faces the bottom intake in the case? Will it overheat if I do so?

19 minutes ago, dragonber1 said:

If I end up going for the fanless psu will it work fine on my case? The s340 has a cover on top of the PSU so the hot air cannot ascend like Seasonic recommends in its webpage, can I put this PSU upside down so that it faces the bottom intake in the case? Will it overheat if I do so?

The best way is to remove the cover. Also if your location is bad, get the 520 watt version to increase the headroom.

Or just drill 30 hohles in the cover.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil