Oculus Rift to be Sold in Best Buy, Amazon, and Microsoft by May 7th

Article here: http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/2/11565972/oculus-rift-retail-sale-demo-best-buy-amazon-microsoft

The Oculus Rift is coming to retail stores this weekend, and things just got a little more complicated for preorder customers. On May 7th, 48 Best Buy locations across the US will start offering demos of Oculus' virtual reality headset. The chains will also have an "extremely limited" supply of Rifts available for purchase, marking the headsets' first appearance in brick-and-mortar stores. For anyone who can't make it to Best Buy, a small number will also be going on sale online through Amazon and the Microsoft Store, starting at 12PM ET on May 6th.

Meanwhile I'm still waiting on my preorder that was placed on the first day it opened. It was pushed back to be shipped by June 20 to 30.

I feel a bit... left out. 

KXCPW)ZPR$Z]S@YPDQW7OSR.png

Me: Computer Engineer. Geek. Nerd.

[Educational] Computer Architecture: Computer Memory Hierarchy

[Educational] Computer Architecture:  What is SSE/AVX? (SIMD)

I find it strange that people are complaining that they are having "some" retail units. Stores can also make orders and probably had retail units ordered before individual pre-orders were available to the public. 

That's bullshit. This is really fucking over those who preordered. They need to compensate a little more than just free shipping.

I'm still waiting on my vive. I'd be very pissed if something like this happens with the vive.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

this does not make me happy at all..... im not expected to get mine until mid July and i prerecorded it with in a hour of it going up......

Most likely they made commitments to retailer that they absolutely have to meet. As much as it sucks they can afford to push back the average consumer's order to meet retail demands. If they piss off retailers then no one will stock the product and they're in big trouble. Still, they need to issue some kind of statement to people that pre-ordered simply explaining why they're sending units to stores before everyone else that is getting delays on their orders.

Retailers get to order before the general public. This is always how things work, why is anyone surprised?

Edit: As a side note, I look forward to toying with one even if I can't buy it :P

I personally am not willing to spend nearly €1000 (yes, that is the cost of Rift/Vive here in Europe) on first generation device hoping for direct manufacturer's support should something go wrong. Especially in case of Oculus where they have pretty much no retail background.

Once HTC Vive and Oculus are sold on Amazon site by Amazon then yes, I will buy one. Only because I know their support are one of the best when it comes to replacing defective device or returning one that did not meet your expectations.

3 hours ago, christianled59 said:

That's bullshit. This is really fucking over those who preordered. They need to compensate a little more than just free shipping.

I'm still waiting on my vive. I'd be very pissed if something like this happens with the vive.

nope, its your own fault for pre ordering

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

I want to try it myself. Not sure if there's any demo units around Dayton, OH though.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

3 hours ago, edsdrafts said:

I personally am not willing to spend nearly €1000 (yes, that is the cost of Rift/Vive here in Europe) on first generation device hoping for direct manufacturer's support should something go wrong. Especially in case of Oculus where they have pretty much no retail background.

Once HTC Vive and Oculus are sold on Amazon site by Amazon then yes, I will buy one. Only because I know their support are one of the best when it comes to replacing defective device or returning one that did not meet your expectations.

The Rift is cheaper than that. 699€ to be precise. 

1 hour ago, Sakkura said:

The Rift is cheaper than that. 699€ to be precise. 

Excluding shipment. Also, I am not looking for Rift, more interested into HTC Vive. Either way none are available in store in Ireland or on amazon.co.uk

1 minute ago, edsdrafts said:

Excluding shipment. Also, I am not looking for Rift, more interested into HTC Vive. Either way none are available in store in Ireland or on amazon.co.uk

Shipping is free for preorders before 1 April.

1 hour ago, Sakkura said:

Shipping is free for preorders before 1 April.

Not if I to buy one now. Pre-order does not interest me much, I would like to test it first, especially when it comes to VR. I just hope some retailers in Ireland will be doing it shortly. Either that or amazon.co.uk listing sold by Amazon so I could buy with confidence.

6 hours ago, jaggysnake57 said:

Preordering in this case is different than a video game. There has been plenty of reviews and I needed mine asap for game development. Besides, the preorder comes with like $80 of free VR games. 

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

10 minutes ago, dmegatool said:

Hope Best Buy Canada will get some too... 

Eventually, but I wouldn't count on it happening any time soon. By end of summer if you're extremely lucky.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, edsdrafts said:

Not if I to buy one now. Pre-order does not interest me much, I would like to test it first, especially when it comes to VR. I just hope some retailers in Ireland will be doing it shortly. Either that or amazon.co.uk listing sold by Amazon so I could buy with confidence.

Yeah not if you buy now, but that's not really relevant to the discussion about preorders. And many preorderers will be able to test it first, in the US at least. I mean lots of people who ordered on day one still dont have their Rift, so just imagine the people who put their order through the rest of January, February, and March. They would be able to check it out IRL and then cancel (if necessary) before they get their Rift in July-August.

8 hours ago, jaggysnake57 said:

This! Only those people who pre-ordered shit, have only themself to blame.

And that's why, kids, don't do pre-ordering.

This is basically the same as pre-ordering games and you'll get are bugs, crashes and glitches.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

By end of summer if you're extremely lucky.

Wow we're getting this in 2021 then ;)

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I think I'll get a Vive just to spite Oculus. 

And because it's looking like it's a purely superior product.

11 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

And because it's looking like it's a purely superior product.

Once touch is released, they're both going to be nearly identical.

I'm getting the rift if only for convenience/comfort. (lack of built in headphones on the vive is a major inconvenience)

Can't you go and buy it at BestBuy or Microsoft Store, come back home, and cancel your pre-order?

Anyway, this is not new, and it all highlights the many problem of pre-order. I never pre-order anything, as you pay for a promise, with lots of hype, and not the product itself which you can determine if it is worth it or not.

thats kind of shitty. though...  i suspect they are having trouble with preorders because the retailers bought up as many as they could before preorders went public. 

Eitherway imma still wait for vr, both of my rigs are ready, but i just dont have the cash atm, and i still have my gen 1 rift dk1 from the original crowd funding. It screen doors like a bitch, makes you nausious to use, and tracks like shit, but hey, its w/e

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||