1080p resolution games to be mandatory on PS4 Neo

asim1999

Now all we need is 60FPS to be mandatory. This is a good move though. 

Digital Foundry’s own sources have confirmed that there will be no online segregation between the PS4 and the Neo, which could potentially cause some balance issues with multiplayer games. For instance, if a multiplayer game runs at 30 frames per second on the original PS4 but 60 on the Neo, then that could be an advantage.
Save data will be cross-platform, all purchases will be cross-platform and the Dualshock 4 will still be the primary controller for both versions of the PS4. So you won’t need to worry about getting new peripherals, or old PS4 games not running.
One thing that does seem clear at this point is that somebody over at Sony really likes The Matrix. First we were introduced to Project Morpheus, which has gone on to become PlayStation VR and now, the codename for this upgraded PS4 is ‘Neo’, potentially hinting that Sony has had this planned for quite some time

ony is requiring all developers to ensure that games run or at least look better on the PS4 Neo compared to the base model, meaning no game can go below 1080p resolution. While older games can be patched with Neo support, all games from October onwards will be required to take advantage of the new hardware at launch, while also having a display mode that supports the original PS4.

Source:http://www.kitguru.net/desktop-pc/console-desktop-pc/matthew-wilson/1080p-resolution-to-be-mandatory-on-ps4-neo/

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Hm... and they did make sound announcement about rejecting games below 60 fps for their VR system... I wonder if there will be overlap between these two rules or not.  We console users can only hope :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, asim1999 said:

no online segregation between the PS4 and the Neo, which could potentially cause some balance issues with multiplayer games. For instance, if a multiplayer game runs at 30 frames per second on the original PS4 but 60 on the Neo, then that could be an advantage.

Do they really need to sell this point? Different FPS has been in PC gaming forever.

The 1080 min. is a good thing, especially since they are saying this will upscale games to 4K.

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

might be a bad move if this means games will run at lower than 30fps now. i think the fps is more important than the resolution 

I think Sony is more interested in pushing 4k over fps because if i recall correctly they have huge stake in Bluray XL and they have one of the only 4k BD players on the market. The PS4 would have massive appeal as a 4kBD player too

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

At what cost will 1080p resolution cost console gamers? Another 10fps? They can barely afford to lose 1...

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

1 minute ago, Albatross said:

At what cost will 1080p resolution cost console gamers? Another 10fps? They can barely afford to lose 1...

If rumors turn out to be true and the GPU turns out to be the Polaris successor of 380X I don't see a problem with 1080p 60FPS.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Just so everyone is clear on what is changing with the NEO revision of the console, the specs as we know them to be will be listed below as indicated by the report:

CPU: Currently, the PS4 uses an eight core Jaguar CPU clocked at 1.6GHz. The NEO revision will have the same CPU, but it'll be clocked at 2.1GHz.

GPU: Currently, the PS4 uses some sort of AMD GPU which seems to be roughly equivalent to a 7870(18CUs at 800MHz). The NEO will have 36CUs clocked at 911MHz.

Memory: PS4 currently has 8GB of GDDR5 memory with a bandwidth of 176GB/s. The NEO version will have the same amount and type, except its total bandwidth is 218GB/s instead. 

Source for the above information: http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/sources-the-upgraded-playstation-4-is-codenamed-ne/1100-5437/

Edited by Godlygamer23
Type correction.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

If this has a 4K Blu-ray drive, so I can watch 4K Blu-ray movies on my 4K tv, this is an instant purchase for me.

Please Sony, make this happen.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

3 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Memory: PS4 currently has 8GB of GDDR5 memory with a bandwidth of 176GB/s. The NEO version will have the same amount and type, except its total bandwidth is 218GB/s instead. 

But they have changed something, probably faster kit/modules. 24% more bandwidth is 24% more bandwidth and it came from somewhere, so we'll see about that. 

6 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

GPU: Currently, the PS4 uses some sort of AMD GPU which seems to be roughly equivalent to a 7870(18CUs at 800MHz). The NEO will have 36CUs clocked at 911MHz.

That would fit an r9 290/390. I wonder if they're crazy enough to have one of those in such a small space - and what the price will be, considering r9 390s go for about 300$.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Bouzoo said:

But they have changed something, probably faster kit/modules. 24% more bandwidth is 24% more bandwidth and it came from somewhere, so we'll see about that. 

Clocks and latency. Probably nothing too major.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Clocks and latency. Probably nothing too major.

My thoughts exactly, but I can't shake the feeling we'll get surprised there. I'll probably get disappointed though.

10 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

My thoughts exactly, but I can't shake the feeling we'll get surprised there. I'll probably get disappointed though.

I wonder if Sony prepared for this time. Thought ahead and did testing on parts to see what would be achievable for a decent 4K gaming experience and did some internal experimentation with VR, including any binning.

18 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

If this has a 4K Blu-ray drive, so I can watch 4K Blu-ray movies on my 4K tv, this is an instant purchase for me.

And this is what Sony is banking on. Like I said before, I believe that this is their primary focus.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

30 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Just so everyone is clear on what is changing with the NEO revision of the console, the specs as we know them to be will be listed below as indicated by the report:

CPU: Currently, the PS4 uses an eight core Jaguar CPU clocked at 1.6GHz. The NEO revision will have the same CPU, but it'll be clocked at 2.1GHz.

Source for the above information: http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/sources-the-upgraded-playstation-4-is-codenamed-ne/1100-5437/

Based on that, it should be enough to do 1080p at 60 fps in all current titles the way said titles are setup graphics wise.  I don't care personally, but if I did, I would want them to do that, rather than shoot for 4K or better graphics or anything else.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Based on that, it should be enough to do 1080p at 60 fps in all current titles the way said titles are setup graphics wise.  I don't care personally, but if I did, I would want them to do that, rather than shoot for 4K or better graphics or anything else.

I'm not sure how I feel about Sony locking devs out from making NEO exclusive content. 

1 hour ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I'm not sure how I feel about Sony locking devs out from making NEO exclusive content. 

Wait, did they say they would do that?  I kind of doubt they will - I suspect they will want to entice people to upgrade just as the original ps4 had exclusives.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Wait, did they say they would do that?  I kind of doubt they will - I suspect they will want to entice people to upgrade just as the original ps4 had exclusives.

From the article I used earlier:

Sony seems committed to keeping the NEO and the original PS4 player bases connected. As such, there will be no NEO-only games, and Sony will not let developers separate NEO users from original PS4 players while playing on PSN. Likewise, Sony explicitly and repeatedly states that developers cannot offer exclusive gameplay options or special unlockables for NEO players—so don’t expect NEO owners to get a level editor or a special Rocket League car that you won’t have access to on your original PS4.

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

That would fit an r9 290/390. I wonder if they're crazy enough to have one of those in such a small space - and what the price will be, considering r9 390s go for about 300$.

One of the articles i read about the hardware upgrades say they will sell it for the original launch price of the PS4, so $399.

1 hour ago, Godlygamer23 said:

This is to avoid the rage of the 30+ millions of people that own the current PS4, i'm all for shorter hardware refreshes on consoles but you can bet there will be a lot of mad people if games came out that don't run on the OG hardware the thing is just going to be 3 years old this October.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

3 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

From the article I used earlier:

Hm, I'm surprised they did that, because honestly it's probably a good thing.  It will keep their player base form getting fragmented, and it will prevent devs from ruining new games by wasting the NEO's extra power on graphics before they've even made it playable (60 fps)

2 minutes ago, AlexGoesHigh said:

This is to avoid the rage of the 30+ millions of people that own the current PS4, i'm all for shorter hardware refreshes on consoles but you can bet there will be a lot of mad people if games came out that don't run on the OG hardware the thing is just going to be 3 years old this October.

Yeah, that's likely what the reason was. 

13 hours ago, Scruffy90 said:

And this is what Sony is banking on. Like I said before, I believe that this is their primary focus.

14 hours ago, VagabondWraith said:

I don't think the optical drive in the 'Neo' is going to support real 4k BR. Current 4k players cost the same as PS4 now. Idt Sony is willing to lose money on 4k players - it's pretty much confirmed the neo will cost current ps4 price. It's just going to upscale 1080 content to 4k like some blu ray players do now.

13 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I think it's Smart for now. Now meaning - they will probably let devs make exclusive content a couple years from now once the Neo catches up to Ps4 sale levels. They would have hit 'Microsoft first announcing the Xbox one' level PR suicide if they allowed the Neo have exclusive titles when the Ps4 is just 3 years old. It would be a giant f-you to your install base. Like Nintendo did with the *new* 3ds....

PS - F* you Nintendo!

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

@GeekJump

Sony sold the PS3 at a loss when it launched. Even moreso when it's price dropped because of stagnant sales. I don't think it's unrealistic for them to support native 4K in the Neo if they're really gonna want to push 4K mainstream. I mean, they developed Blu-ray after all.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM