Another gaming windows handled devices by PGSlab

leafar

Is this a hard launch or just a product announcement? Intel just announced new goldmont atom Cores with the skylake gpu meaning id expect to see devices with the chips coming out soon so hopefully they can change out the SoC. 

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

2 hours ago, randomhkkid said:

Is this a hard launch or just a product announcement? Intel just announced new goldmont atom Cores with the skylake gpu meaning id expect to see devices with the chips coming out soon so hopefully they can change out the SoC. 

Apollo Lake isn't shipping till 2H. These specs seem pretty final to me. Preliminary on Apollo Lake doesn't really sound like it's going to be that much faster in a way that's going to be meaningful.

This'll be good for playing older games/emulators/indie games on the go. And the battery life on the top end sku looks absolutely absurd (6,000 mAh!). I wonder how they'll be handling it? Because it's got Android Marshmallow and Windows 10. Is it a dual boot? Or both OS's ran side by side?

Really, I'm just curious about it by sheer novelty. I don't think it's going to be cheap, that's for certain.

6 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Can we please stop with the mobile obsession? It's never going to be as good or as fun as desktop/laptop+mouse.

Seriously, what is the point? How often are you out and about, and have time to game? Generally when I am out of the house, I am trying to get back to the house, as quickly as possible.

Some of us love portable gadgets, when travelling something like this would be great, often there is lots of downtime, especially if travelling for work stuff and you dont have all your top end gear with you

Something like this is right up my street and I would buy it in a heartbeat

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

7 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Can we please stop with the mobile obsession? It's never going to be as good or as fun as desktop/laptop+mouse.

Seriously, what is the point? How often are you out and about, and have time to game? Generally when I am out of the house, I am trying to get back to the house, as quickly as possible.

God forbid people have different tastes on how they like to use their time, I personally prefer being relaxed on my bed while gaming than on my desk, I just sit at my desk because PC is my main gaming platform. But I prefer to use my PSP or 3DS because it's more comfy. 

6 hours ago, Shadow Bullet said:

I just don't see how this would be powerful enough to even maintain 30 FPS on low in most titles, not to mention a QHD screen. Please, unless we get a dedicated GPU in here it will suck for PC gaming ultimately..

Well it's probably better for older games, that's fine by me, if it can run 5 year old games decently I can see the value on this. 

With that out of the way, I usually jump right in at the hype wagon of any of this mobile Windows devices, and I mean, I like this thing on paper, but it does sooound a bit too optimistic. I like the specs, everything that is packing seems fantastic. But first of all, the  2560x1440 display sounds ridiculous, unless that's the combined resolution of the 2 screens there's no way those specs are gonna handle anything at that resolution, it could definitely drive, the desktop, I guess, but it's deeeefinitely not doing gaming at anything even close to that, I would probably put a lot of games below 720p on that thing tbh. 

Second of all, 2 screens? I mean yes, ok, the 3DS has 2 screens, games that utilize it, are great, the Wii U, has 2 screens, it's very cool, it's very useful. Problem, tho, the 3DS and the Wii U have games made specifically to utilize 2 screens, you cannot do that on a PC game unless it's somehow made with this device in mind or modded, yes you can maybe split an image between the 2 devices but a game having the main screen show the gameplay and the second one show the map is not gonna happen as far as I know. Is it actually just a full second PC crammed inside just to power both displays at once doing different stuff? Sounds kinda unplausable in such a small device. 

I mean if they make it work, great, but, I don't know if they could, and even if they do then how much is this thing gonna be? at least a good 600-700$, I wish them well, I am definitely sitting here waiting to see who can pull it off first, either this guys, GPD or if we are very lucky, the Smach Z guys, buuut my money is on the GDP guys, they seem to have the more realistic and reasonable approach so far, the Smach Z was very reasonable all in all as well, but they just weren't that succesfull I guess, this guys, is they can pull this off, great, buuut I'll have to see to believe. I'll keep my eyes and ears on them tho, and I wish them luck. 

8 minutes ago, Tairetsu said:

SNIP

Agreed with that

Honestly they are being over ambitious, all we want is a JXD 7800 but with Windows and intel atom inside , no reason it should cost more than £200 like other intel atom windows tablets 

I mean my 8" windows tablet was £60 off amazon and I can play doom 3 at 60fps but I have to use a clip on tablet controller, not something sleek and built in

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

8 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Agreed with that

Honestly they are being over ambitious, all we want is a JXD 7800 but with Windows and intel atom inside , no reason it should cost more than £200 like other intel atom windows tablets 

I mean my 8" windows tablet was £60 off amazon and I can play doom 3 at 60fps but I have to use a clip on tablet controller, not something sleek and built in

Yes. that's literally all most of us really want, a Windows tablet with built-in controls, maybe a keyboard too, which is what the GPD guys are doing. Tho then again, I wouldn't really complain if there were a bunch of "gaming" UMPCs coming out all of the sudden, that's a type of device I personally miss and I think could be done much better nowadays. 

Just now, Tairetsu said:

Yes. that's literally all most of us really want, a Windows tablet with built-in controls, maybe a keyboard too, which is what the GPD guys are doing. Tho then again, I wouldn't really complain if there were a bunch of "gaming" UMPCs coming out all of the sudden, that's a type of device I personally miss and I think could be done much better nowadays. 

like the OQO and Sony UX- best things ever, but with twin analog sticks

28 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

like the OQO and Sony UX- best things ever, but with twin analog sticks

I think the guys that made the Pandora and are now making the Pyra nailed the desing for a mobile PC personally. 

14 minutes ago, Tairetsu said:

I think the guys that made the Pandora and are now making the Pyra nailed the desing for a mobile PC personally. 

Yeah I have been keeping my eyes on those guys for a long time!, that with a top end quad core atom and W10 would be a dream

2 hours ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Apollo Lake isn't shipping till 2H. These specs seem pretty final to me. Preliminary on Apollo Lake doesn't really sound like it's going to be that much faster in a way that's going to be meaningful.

This'll be good for playing older games/emulators/indie games on the go. And the battery life on the top end sku looks absolutely absurd (6,000 mAh!). I wonder how they'll be handling it? Because it's got Android Marshmallow and Windows 10. Is it a dual boot? Or both OS's ran side by side?

Really, I'm just curious about it by sheer novelty. I don't think it's going to be cheap, that's for certain.

True but there's no mention of a release date just a product announcement. Skylake was a pretty big GPU upgrade so it should have a decent impact on the performance especially in GPU bound (read games) scenarios.

Most likely dual boot, which is better IMO for general usability. Windows boot for gaming, Android for general use.

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

I was fallow GPD win,but didn't buy because I don't like the clamshell design with keyboard and the layout of the controllers.but PGS sliding handle Is good or perfect,that's what I am looking for, the design,with a more powerful SoCs and some optional upgrade.Those people's PGSlab,already responding some replays in Dingoonity.org and gamedev.net, fingers crossed

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/4/2016 at 8:36 AM, leafar said:

I was fallow GPD win,but didn't buy because I don't like the clamshell design with keyboard and the layout of the controllers.but PGS sliding handle Is good or perfect,that's what I am looking for, the design,with a more powerful SoCs and some optional upgrade.Those people's PGSlab,already responding some replays in Dingoonity.org and gamedev.net, fingers crossed

The PGSlab people have been very good at responding to questions in social media quickly but their answers aren't very satisfactory imo, even if this product is not a scam it's definitely gonna be what the pictures show. 

The biggest lie here is definitely the depiction of PC games with UI elements at the bottom, they are yet to confirm me wether you can boot Android on the bottom screen while using Windows on the top but they did told me that both screens would act like 2 PC monitors on a normal PC already, which as far as I know would not give you the capability to do something like what they show. 

On 19/4/2016 at 11:38 PM, shdowhunt60 said:

I'm honestly holding out more for the GPD device.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gpd-win-intel-z8550-win-10-os-game-console#/

GPD has more of a reputation for it, and they're making less extravagant promises. I wouldn't be labeling this thing as a AAA gaming machine.

Definitely, GPD is 100% coming out which is why I'm putting my money on it (or I would if I had any), in fact they've already showed the working prototype around their facebook page and such. 

• 3 months later...

Looks like PGS Lab has given an answer to my prayers!! It's now in black! The black Hardcore looks amazing, now it's more of my preference than the white one.

CqtP4A9XgAQgCgu.jpg