Live chat room?

IsaacDaGrazin
Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,

No. It's been suggested before, but, aside from the cost and server resources required, it would also be impossible to moderate. 

If you want to chat with people, join one of the unofficial chat servers. 

Yes or fuck off Isaac?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Can't you see the title?

So like a chat room we can just chill and talk to each other instead of making like 20000 posts to have a conversation 

thats all :P eh it's not important but would be cool to have :D

No. It's been suggested before, but, aside from the cost and server resources required, it would also be impossible to moderate. 

HTTP/2 203

3 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Oh okay

18 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Is LTT on IRC by chance?

There was semi-official channel back in 2013. But lack of use, it became first unofficial and then died in quiet. I believe there are unofficial channels in Qnet and Ircnet.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

20 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Nothing is impossible, I moderate a game chat with 10000-20000 users daily. But it's definitely a hand full.

10 minutes ago, AlexTheRose said:

Bro, I’m on IRC all day erryday. On like 5 different servers, got ZNC and everything. If there are any chans for LTT I’d love to idle in them :D

It hasn't been updated in while but you can find all unofficial communities here

1 hour ago, ModuleLFS said:

Nothing is impossible, I moderate a game chat with 10000-20000 users daily. But it's definitely a hand full.

So... you have been in LTT Twitch chat during WAN show? Twitch chat is actually online even when channel isn't. And you could use it with IRC client.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

@LoGiCalDrm I stay away from moderating twitch chats since I want to keep whatever sanity I have left.

And the WAN show is like 2am for me, cant really stay awake that long.

4 hours ago, ModuleLFS said:

@LoGiCalDrm I stay away from moderating twitch chats since I want to keep whatever sanity I have left.

And the WAN show is like 2am for me, cant really stay awake that long.

Well WAN show chat is as close as you get to what LTT official chat would be. Eventually it would be filled with trolls and spammers, even if it would be for forum members only.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

12 hours ago, Linearburn said:

html chat applet is stupid easy to add to a webpage

It has never been question about difficulty on how to do it. Question is more about moderating and keeping it clean. Its already taxing to current mods to keep forums clean. Most of the time.

Read my previous posts to this thread. Semi-official IRC channel had webchat window in front page of forums. Still, there wasn't that many chatters when I was around. Twitch chat is already a thing and requires only Twitch account. That chat is on even if channel isn't broadcasting. So adding link to that would be easiest way. If moderation would want it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

14 hours ago, Linearburn said:

html chat applet is stupid easy to add to a webpage

Easy to add and easy to maintain are two different things xD

Just join the lennycrew discord chat, there is a "well used" shitposting section

Can we have a temporary chat room when the site is being updated?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

Someone is going to be an ass and ruin it. I guarantee it

The temp chat has nothing to do with LTT. Once the forum is up, the chat link disappears. There is this other forum that does that, when the site is being updated. Makes time fly when you have to wait a whole day or so. And you can just log in with random generated names.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

51 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

https://www.twitch.tv/linustech This is always available... All you need is Twitch account.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

12 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

https://www.twitch.tv/linustech This is always available... All you need is Twitch account.

Yeah, but people will only chat if they are watching something. Right now it's empty.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

No. Aside from the massive amount of effort that would be required to set up a chat room that would work even though the site is down, and the fact that it would be straight up impossible to moderate because some of the moderators would be busy updating the site and nobody would be able to keep up with the large number of messages that an official chat would get, the site isn't going to be going offline for more than like 15 minutes any time in the foreseeable future, so you really, really don't need it.

We will not be adding a chat room, and that is not open to negotiation.

HTTP/2 203