Aerocool Dream Box Chassis Kit - The Last Chassis You Will Ever Need?

Ok, this has me all giddy inside! :D 

Introducing the brand new Dream Box Chassis kit from Aerocool. 

dreambox_2.jpg

What is it? 

A fully customize-able PC chassis kit containing 118 components (and 500 screws) which you can assemble in just about any form or fashion you desire. Want a little portable ITX Lan rig with a handle? Or a monster tower with triple GPUs and custom loop watercooling? Or an ultra-flexible test bench? You can build it all and more with this kit! I grew up playing and creating with Lego and Meccano as a child and loved being able to make anything I wanted. Now we have the ability to do this in the form of a PC chassis! 

The kit consists of a number of main chassis "rails" of various lengths and a multitude of connectors to join them in any configuration. Other components included are; mounting bars with locations to add motherboard stand-offs or to use as brackets to support PCIe devices, an ATX PSU mounting bracket, a power I/O module with audio jacks and USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports, clamps that firmly fasten to the rails for mounting just about anything (rads, fans, storage drives, etc.). All components are of high-quality construction and the main rails are made of aluminum tubing to keep weight down.  

While cooling will never be an issue, dust will. I have 4 dogs at home and can tell you by looking at the front filter of my S340 after just 2 weeks, I don't fancy the idea of running an open chassis of any kind. However, if you keep your PC up on your desk and or don't have any pets, this won't be as much of a problem. In this case (no pun intended) I would gladly sacrifice air filtration purely for the level of customization and creativity this enables you to have, even it it means I have to blast the thing everyday with compressed air to keep it clean. I don't even have one yet, but I feel like I did as a kid in the toy store ogling the large Lego Technic sets again. :) This is the coolest PC-related thing I've seen in a very long time. As one who likes to tinker and change things around all the time, this is perfect.  

To see a more in-depth look of the Dream Box kit, you can check out eteknix's review here. 

Or you can check out the official page here.

What do you guys think? Is this something you've been looking for? 

@LinusTech @Slick You guys (or Taran) should definitely do a video on this. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Look cool, defiantly a good core to start on.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Just now, theninja35 said:

Just imagine how bad cable management would be. That's a no-go for me.

it may require extra work but cable management is up to the person not the case.

There would be no space at all to hide your messy cables. The cables would have to be the exact length to not having any hanging/messy cables.

You could tie them to the struts or what looks like the hard drive mounts, but obviously it wouldn't be as easy as cramming them behind the mobo tray

There would be no space at all to hide your messy cables. The cables would have to be the exact length to not having any hanging/messy cables.

well dont make you cables messy, you can hide some behind the MOBO tray. and you can make/buy custom cables. I am not saying its easy but if you put in the effort you can make it look really good. you can even incorporate the cables into the design and not try and hide it. I could see some nice build come out of a modular case like this, and you should be able to add on custom made parts like for glass panels.

1 hour ago, theninja35 said:

Uh uh. Hiding messy cables isn't cable management. That's laziness. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

1 minute ago, Pohernori said:

Uh uh. Hiding messy cables isn't cable management. That's laziness. 

That's the definition of cable management tho.

25 minutes ago, CtW said:

That's the definition of cable management tho.

If you're bothered I said that's laziness. Don't worry. I am lazy too. 

But no matter how you say it, hiding messy cables != cable management. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

38 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

If you're bothered I said that's laziness. Don't worry. I am lazy too. 

But no matter how you say it, hiding messy cables != cable management. 

Hiding messy cables, like ctW said, is literally the definition of cable management. If I didn't hide my messy cables, then they would be in view, and everyone would say that I have poor cable management. So, if your cables are in view in this very open case, that's poor cable management. Only custom cables would help hide that with this case.

22 minutes ago, theninja35 said:

Hiding messy cables, like ctW said, is literally the definition of cable management. If I didn't hide my messy cables, then they would be in view, and everyone would say that I have poor cable management. So, if your cables are in view in this very open case, that's poor cable management. Only custom cables would help hide that with this case.

I'm not following. If you leave your cables messy, how would you have any form of cable management? 

If you have cable management in that aerocool case, how would it be messy?

But I'll chop chop and end this here, we will not go anywhere with this conversation. It'll be our fault if this thread gets locked for going off topic ;)

1 hour ago, Pohernori said:

I'm not following. If you leave your cables messy, how would you have any form of cable management? 

If you have cable management in that aerocool case, how would it be messy?

But I'll chop chop and end this here, we will not go anywhere with this conversation. It'll be our fault if this thread gets locked for going off topic ;)

That is exactly what I'm saying, you said that cable management does not equal hiding messy cables (!= or =/=). So, if you have nowhere to hide your cables in the case, you have no way to create proper cable management without buying custom, shortened cables.

And I don't think that we will get it locked, because we're discussing "features" of the case. It's also not a good idea to try to have the last post with two questions.

This seems like something Taran would be into. It reminds me of the Meccano/Erector sets. This would be great for test bench design. Past that though, it's useless. It caries all the problems of Meccano, with almost none of the benefits. Meccano is built on an already existing architecture. They just made plates and designs. Honestly the better choice would be to actually make a case from Meccano pieces (LTT get on this). If they used a common slip pipe/fitting system, and then just built ways to attach already existing hardware to it, it would be a whole lot better. They could even use snap clamps for making panels! It would make modding, and developing for it so much easier and cheaper. They could just buy aluminium pipe, powder coat it to make it look pretty, and sell that to us at a steep price. Other people would just buy PVC or some other cheap pipe at the specific OD. I think the MasterCase 5 MIGHT suffer from this problem as well, just because manufacturing and developing parts for it is so difficult. For modularity you either have to make something amazing on it's own, so people will buy it anyway, or build on top of what people already know/own/have easy access to.

2 hours ago, theninja35 said:

or you can run your cables neatly ... to be fair i dont run my cables neatly i just jumble them up in the back

8 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

or you can run your cables neatly ... to be fair i dont run my cables neatly i just jumble them up in the back

Right, but most PSU manufacturers include long cables. So you'd have to run your cables around the entire chassis to have them "neat". That would just be too complicated, and not worth the time for a "case" like this.

Right, but most PSU manufacturers include long cables. So you'd have to run your cables around the entire chassis to have them "neat". That would just be too complicated, and not worth the time for a "case" like this.

then its not the case for you but people who want to get custom cables as stuff

Not another giant case being nothing but a skeleton. Wires everywhere, unless they are hidden by the thick coat of dust on everything. No thanks.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

2 hours ago, Notional said:

Not another giant case being nothing but a skeleton. Wires everywhere, unless they are hidden by the thick coat of dust on everything. No thanks.

It's not a giant case as a skeleton. That's just what was made with the pieces in that picture. What you get is a box of parts and you build it into what ever shape/size you want. ;) 

The "wires everywhere" is only an issue if you put no effort into being creative with your cable management. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

This is pretty cool, I want to try it out. Maybe for the living room or something or put my pc in it and have my current case go to the living room. 

Aereocool always prices things very reasonably. They're usually very "gamery" (read: tacky as shit) but this I might try sure.

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 hours ago, theninja35 said:

That is exactly what I'm saying, you said that cable management does not equal hiding messy cables (!= or =/=). So, if you have nowhere to hide your cables in the case, you have no way to create proper cable management without buying custom, shortened cables.

And I don't think that we will get it locked, because we're discussing "features" of the case. It's also not a good idea to try to have the last post with two questions.

Still not following sadly. And what are zip ties and bundling cables together for? You don't need to have custom cables to have cable management. I've never heard anyone say that.

Since you wanted to be discussing a feature then I'll link it back to the case. This case allows you to make it as big or as small as it can be. So you can run your cables as long or as short you'd like, how did you not see this?