Low image quality on newer GPUs

Demiqas

Someone said that they fixed the problem by going to windows 10 from 7. Should this work and has anyone tried it?

Im going to upgrade to windows 10 and see if it does anything.

Im going to upgrade to windows 10 and see if it does anything.

If you do that take some screenshots now on 7 so you can objectively compare later

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

If you do that take some screenshots now on 7 so you can objectively compare later

Im trying to and when I get to the final step it gets to 40 percent and says Windows couldnt configure one or more system componets. It then returns to windows 7. How do I fix this?

Im trying to and when I get to the final step it gets to 40 percent and says Windows couldnt configure one or more system componets. It then returns to windows 7. How do I fix this?

I don't want to derail the topic with how to install/upgrade windows 10, but if it is not upgrading, you can always just do a clean install of 10 directly.  Apparently they have changed how the licensing works; you used to have to upgrade and it would then recognize that hardware as licensed, allowing you to reinstall 10 whenever without a key, but installing 10 directly the first time would not work.  Now, if what I've been hearing can be believed, you can just install 10 directly and when it asks for a key, use the key for your existing 7/8/8.1 installation.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Something I've been thinking about is how all of us experience this problem.. I thougth the bluescreen I got after two weeks was standard, but then I read people having these issues instantly or it happened suddenly without a bluescreen. We're all using the same type of cards from the same manufacturers, so what could possibly cause this difference? If it's one the same issue we should all experience the exact same thing prior to the graphical downgrade.

Funny thing, I remember 4 years ago, playing skyrim on my laptop with an integrated chip, I suddenly started noticing that everything looked horribly pixelated whereas it was perfect before. Didn't pay much attention to it and I was a little illiterate towards these things back then, but I could never really touch skyrim anymore because of how much it was bothering me before I started noticing it in other games too. I just realise I had probably experienced the exact same thing that we are now.

Anyway, I bought a pair of second hand 9800gt's. Going to download some old drivers and see if I notice any difference. I'll take some screenies with my current intel HD before installing the card. For the record, my intel HD went through the same downgrade.. this time it took about a week. Funny thing, the bluescreen happened right after a very choppy installation of morrowind. Happened exactly when I pressed "play" and I ended up having to restore my system to a restore point because it wouldn't launch otherwise. The fact that restoring my PC to before the bluescreen happened, yet the issue remaining may mean that this is some sort of permanent hardware damage....

The fact that restoring my PC to before the bluescreen happened, yet the issue remaining may mean that this is some sort of permanent hardware damage....

Don't be so sure - a system restore is far from going back to how your computer was in a time machine.

Don't be so sure - a system restore is far from going back to how your computer was in a time machine.

Ah well, I'm not too familiar with the details of it.

Just going to have to wait for the 9800gt's to arrive.

I was just looking at some random pictures online and I came accross something interesting. A certain forum, when making an image bigger, would make it sharper for a few seconds before it became normal again.

The below screenshots are both *exactly the same* screenshots. The only difference is that the first one for some reason had sharpening applied to it:

(watch image in full size, especially pay attention to the distance and compare them)

1jp8y1.png

Notice how the sharper image has a lot of those white lines that we see in games, but the normal one doesn't (especially noticable at bridge in distance). If our graphical issues are a result of this sharpening, would it mean that most of it is traceable to the fact that lod bias stopped working? Considering that the side effect of a broken lod bias is the image being a lot sharper.

It sure is.. and as the lod bias seems unactive, i can even see lighting problems in my games. Currently replaying the Witcher 3, and funny thing is, aside of AA not working and crazy pop-in, the DOF itself is not working, landscape in the background is sharp and thats why its even more easier to notice the problem (in conversations thought the DOF works).

I don't know if people here play this game, but if you do, the part where you go to Skellige, you normally see a whale having fun jumping out of the water to greet you, well my first playthrough of the game the animation was normal, now if i'm actually 10/15 feet away, the animation will stuck, a part of the whale being above the water, not moving, and the animation will finish if i get close. Somehow funny.

Well, I've found some really old (196.21) drivers, and nowhere in the release notes does it say anything about lod bias not working, so I'm going to assume it has functioning lod bias clamping. I'll try this out as soon as I get my 9800gt and see what happens..

Good luck with that. I wish i could try things too on my side, but i'm pretty much limited with a lappy. And i'm not gonna try to upgrade or install W10 on a hunch, since it's gonna be a nightmare to configure everything properly with dedicated drivers.

DS is downsampling, right? How does it compare to Nvidia DSR in the control panel? Is there a difference?

VSR is AMD's version of DSR and does the exact same thing. Renders the entire image at a higher resolution, then downsamples to your native resolution. DS AA is a form of anti-aliasing where just the aliased parts of the image are rendered higher, then downsampled. DS AA is less demanding than DSR/VSR. Visually it's very similar to when I used to run the game with VSR at 1440p with DS6X on my previous set-up with crossfire 290's.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Not sure if this is related but after my blue screen a few weeks ago my shadows started going ugly as shit in all games

2fd9cfd19cb6cd470f2afabd5cc0a527.jpg

Check out the car shadow that's ultra with Ud shadows on :/

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

VSR is AMD's version of DSR and does the exact same thing. Renders the entire image at a higher resolution, then downsamples to your native resolution. DS AA is a form of anti-aliasing where just the aliased parts of the image are rendered higher, then downsampled. DS AA is less demanding than DSR/VSR. Visually it's very similar to when I used to run the game with VSR at 1440p with DS6X on my previous set-up with crossfire 290's.

So it's the same as ssaa aliasing ?

also (1600) 

So it's the same as ssaa aliasing ?

I believe so. Very similar. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Not sure if this is related but after my blue screen a few weeks ago my shadows started going ugly as shit in all games

Interesting.  That's another confirmation of the "minecraft shadows" effect.

Check the shadow resolution set in the ini files.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Check the shadow resolution set in the ini files.

i have dude at it was what it was meant to be,

Happened in witcher 3 and fallout 4 too

also (1600) 

i have dude at it was what it was meant to be,

Happened in witcher 3 and fallout 4 too

That sucks. In fallout 4 the higher the shadow distance is, the poorer the shadow quality will be, little known fact. So reducing the shadow distance increases shadow quality. Maybe the shadow distance is being increased somehow? Is is worse for shadow up close than those at a distance?

That sucks. In fallout 4 the higher the shadow distance is, the poorer the shadow quality will be, little known fact. So reducing the shadow distance increases shadow quality. Maybe the shadow distance is being increased somehow? Is is worse for shadow up close than those at a distance?

cant remember il have a look tomora

But I know for sure that it wasn't happening before I had a random blue screen

also (1600) 

cant remember il have a look tomora

But I know for sure that it wasn't happening before I had a random blue screen

If the shadow quality is as it should be, then ether the game is using another value or the distance is out of control

Next time you play Fallout 4 hit the "~" key, this will open the command console. Then type "refreshini" and hit enter. See if that helps.

If the shadow quality is as it should be, then ether the game is using another value or the distance is out of control

Next time you play Fallout 4 hit the "~" key, this will open the command console. Then type "refreshini" and hit enter. See if that helps.

I'm surprised you didn't specify before/during/after opening the game.

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

I'm surprised you didn't specify before/during/after opening the game.

I live dangerously, and have never seen a broken save in Fallout 4. Skyrim, hell yes I've run through the process. Fallout 4 is pretty bullet proof in that regard, best quality it has :lol:

il try it bro but it's happening in a few games and I also get a wired shimmery effect that looks like antialiasing isn't working properly

Also again only since the blue screen

Very strange

also (1600)