Low image quality on newer GPUs

Demiqas

But when i recorded witcher 3 it doesnt have anything to do with my monitor right?

correct; it wouldn't.  That is capturing the data before it ever leaves the GPU, so what screen you have (if any) would make no difference.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Ok so i want to show you my desktop...If you look closer to the skse on left side of all icons you can see this have a doubled image.Just look at the "SKSE" and on the right of it there is like shadow of this text.

Same goes for "start" button with the windows logo.I can see it on ss little harder than on monitor but its still visable.I think this have something to do with this broken shadows and stuff.Also tomorrow or today i'll check if on gtx 650 it lookes better.(hat this card before mine and didnt see the any flickering bars,had same resolution always but lowered details and shadows)

Przechwytywanie.PNG

Cok free autoclicker.....hehe.....cok

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

https://youtu.be/aeloIvzQg6E

As you can see in this comparison, specially on 0:29, you can clearly see what that filtering and AA looks on LOW and ULTRA. So if I get stair-effect texture with 4xMSAA adn AFx16 in GTA V and looks like LOW graphics from this comparison that something is fishy here, right? It is not normal aliasing!

Cosmic Council Department of Defense ; Interplanetary Class 3 Relations & Diplomatic Affairs - OFFICE 117

Many pages ago, I made the suggestion that what some people might be seeing might be related to a bad/wrong cable or something along those lines. Now we know that was the case for at least one person here. ;)

I thought TXAA is better than traditional MSAA?, anyway MSAA2x, MSAA4x TXAA2 and TXAA4 give same result, only TXAA4 give a little less Jaggies (but still there), take look here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwEfRO_8F21vTTB4NGJ5T2NUdG8/view?usp=sharing

You're right, my bad. TXAA x2 and x4 are technically "higher" AA settings. For some reason I thought 4xMSAA was the highest in that game. 

Now, that being said, I fired up the game and tested 4xMSAA vs 4xTXAA. On my PC (at 1080p very high settings), TXAA looked worse and 4xMSAA looked quite a lot better. A lot less jaggies and less flickering, with overall better/sharper image quality. 

Question for you: Are you using any of the settings in NVCP aside from antistropic filtering? If so, disable those and set them back to "let application decide" and try again. 

https://youtu.be/aeloIvzQg6E

As you can see in this comparison, specially on 0:29, you can clearly see what that filtering and AA looks on LOW and ULTRA. So if I get stair-effect texture with 4xMSAA adn AFx16 in GTA V and looks like LOW graphics from this comparison that something is fishy here, right? It is not normal aliasing!

GTAV with AFx16 and 4xMSAA does NOT look like that game on low. Not even close. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

This is such strange problem. I think it has to do with motherboard compatibility or something (the problem has to do with the motherboard). Because people have changed many things in their PC and the flicking and stuff is still showing up. No one has tried changing their motherboard and the motherboard is one of the pc parts that many companies make (Different types etc.). I think someone should try changing their motherboard and see what happens. In my build I have a i5 6500, r9 380x, MSI B150, and 8 gb of ram. People with the same setup just not the motherboard, don't have this problem and it made me wonder why.  There are many motherboards out there. Please someone look into this.

Sorry for the english.

Just a list of things that we know/don't know so far:

1. It cannot be electricity based on the fact that we went as far as to try using a UPS, which should basically make it as clean as possible for a first world country.

2. It has nothing to do with CPU, whether you use amd or intel.

3. It has nothing to do with GPU brand, although there is the strange "higher quality" thing for the first two weeks I spoke about. Turns out it's the same case on intel HD chips aswell. The only brand that doesn't have this is AMD, which looks bad straight off the bat. Which makes me wonder if I should've questioned AMD more than Nvdia in the first case.

4. It has nothing to do with PSU

5. It has nothing to do with what HDD/SSD you're using

This really leaves only few possibilities:

1. It's a motherboard issue, which seems unlikely to me nevertheless

2. It's entirely an OS/Software issue

I'm not even going to go into the "is it real or not" discussion, I've seen the graphics go from good to bad on the same games I've been playing for years. It's not something you "can't unsee once you see" either, because when I bought a new nvidia card everything looked beautiful again for the first two weeks, until it went back to being bad. This issue is real and I still haven't figured out why it happens. All that I know is that, for me, the graphics downgrade always start after a "system_service_exception" bluescreen. I have tried reinstalling windows without any success on reverting the graphics quality back to normal, so god knows in what way that one specific bluescreens messes everything up.

This is the most I can contribute for now.

Just a list of things that we know/don't know so far:

1. It cannot be electricity based on the fact that we went as far as to try using a UPS, which should basically make it as clean as possible for a first world country.

2. It has nothing to do with CPU, whether you use amd or intel.

3. It has nothing to do with GPU brand, although there is the strange "higher quality" thing for the first two weeks I spoke about. Turns out it's the same case on intel HD chips aswell. The only brand that doesn't have this is AMD, which looks bad straight off the bat. Which makes me wonder if I should've questioned AMD more than Nvdia in the first case.

4. It has nothing to do with PSU

5. It has nothing to do with what HDD/SSD you're using

This really leaves only few possibilities:

1. It's a motherboard issue, which seems unlikely to me nevertheless

2. It's entirely an OS/Software issue

I'm not even going to go into the "is it real or not" discussion, I've seen the graphics go from good to bad on the same games I've been playing for years. It's not something you "can't unsee once you see" either, because when I bought a new nvidia card everything looked beautiful again for the first two weeks, until it went back to being bad. This issue is real and I still haven't figured out why it happens. All that I know is that, for me, the graphics downgrade always start after a "system_service_exception" bluescreen. I have tried reinstalling windows without any success on reverting the graphics quality back to normal, so god knows in what way that one specific bluescreens messes everything up.

This is the most I can contribute for now.

I thinkl its a mothboard issue because most people have the same software and some of them have this problem and some do not. There are many different motherboards though so some may work and some may not. Maybe everyone here just has a motherboard that doesn't work or something.

Has anyone tried putting the gpu in a new slot on your motherboard? Maybe it works in the beginning then gets this problem because the slot is worn down or something. IDK

I've tried switching motherboards already and pcie slots doesn't matter because as I said, this even happens on intel HD. When I said unlikely I meant it pretty much isn't the cause of motherboards, there's no logical way for it to be. This issue lies somewhere on the level of OS/Software issues.

Question for you: Are you using any of the settings in NVCP aside from antistropic filtering? If so, disable those and set them back to "let application decide" and try again. 

nope, this is a clean driver installation, and with recently reinstalled windows

I've tried switching motherboards already and pcie slots doesn't matter because as I said, this even happens on intel HD. When I said unlikely I meant it pretty much isn't the cause of motherboards, there's no logical way for it to be. This issue lies somewhere on the level of OS/Software issues.

I know what you mean ,but if someone has the same software as someone else ,why does it on only work for one of them? 

Man my stuff started when i chaged card from gtx 650 to r9 280...

All that I know is that, for me, the graphics downgrade always start after a "system_service_exception" bluescreen. 

Is it possible the card has suffered some minor hardware failure that both caused the bluescreen and resulted in reduced quality from then on?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Is it possible the card has suffered some minor hardware failure that both caused the bluescreen and resulted in reduced quality from then on?

I dont have a bluescreen as I recall and yet the quality still reduced

Well I've had it happen to four cards now, on three different builds, so I don't see why it would just fail like that =/. 

We need to establish THE FACTS first.

1. What PSU/wattage are we using ?

2. What OS are we using ?

3. What motherboard are we using ?

4. What type of connection GPU-Monitor  are we using ?

That will possibly narrow some facts better IF ALL THIS IS EVEN A HARDWARE ISSUE.

So I will start first :

1. Seasonic G-Series 650W

2. Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

3. Asus Republic of Gamers Maximus V Gene

4. DisplayPort

But I'm starting to think that all this is somewhat software/drivers related.....

Cosmic Council Department of Defense ; Interplanetary Class 3 Relations & Diplomatic Affairs - OFFICE 117

I also send r9 on warranty and got it back with a note that everything is ok

Well here is mine,

Seasonic M12II-620 Evo Edition 620W Full modular Bronze

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

MSI H97M-E35

HDMI (previously DVI with DVI To DSub Adapter)

and

Haswell CPU, Core i5-4590

ha ha it's not about the aliasing,and LOD..There are some around the character region in which the smoothing and other functions,and this area is just not smoothing anything,that's where these shadows and the ladder..But LOD should work well,and not 3 meters away from the character,but that limits the detail regardless of the settings I don't know ... take a Look!!!!

ha ha it's not about the aliasing,and LOD..There are some around the character region in which the smoothing and other functions,and this area is just not smoothing anything,that's where these shadows and the ladder..But LOD should work well,and not 3 meters away from the character,but that limits the detail regardless of the settings I don't know ... take a Look!!!!

Take a look at what? Did you mean to post a screenshot or video?

How have I just stumbled upon this thread? Has linus said anything about this?

I tagged Linus and Luke in this thread back near the beginning. No word from them on this as of yet. Not even sure if they've taken a look at the thread.  

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

We need to establish THE FACTS first.

1. What PSU/wattage are we using ?

2. What OS are we using ?

3. What motherboard are we using ?

4. What type of connection GPU-Monitor  are we using ?

That will possibly narrow some facts better IF ALL THIS IS EVEN A HARDWARE ISSUE.

So I will start first :

1. Seasonic G-Series 650W

2. Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

3. Asus Republic of Gamers Maximus V Gene

4. DisplayPort

But I'm starting to think that all this is somewhat software/drivers related.....

Can rule out the 1st item. It's not power-related. 

IF there actually is something going on here (of which I'm still not convinced), it would probably be software/driver-related, IMO.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

OS Windows 7 ultimate 64

MOBO M5A78L-M LX V2

Connection from dvi-i (duallink) card to monitor with dsub.

We need to establish THE FACTS first

Along this same line of thought, I think we should clearly identify and specify all the different aspects of this problem, since different people seem to be reporting different things.  We can then determine if they are or are not related, and possibly start checking off solutions.

So far it seems as though: (please comment if I've missed any and I'll update this post)

• Anti-Aliasing not nearly as effective as it should be (example: see any of the many images that have been posted)
  • Texture flickering/pop-in (objects randomly flash white on and off) (example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prpkhkZszq0)
  • Shimmering (flickering lighting on objects) (example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlg4C0_3fUM)
  • "Minecraft shadows" in a game that should look very realistic and does even with lower settings on other people's machines (example: http://s27.postimg.org/u4g6fcofn/563456.png)
  • The "detail box" problem where things are only rendered "fully" within a short radius around the player, causing a visible difference between things inside and outside of this small box, particularly with regard to shadows (example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWKl5c9ZkBQ)
  • Claims that cards start out perfect and then develop this problem over time, getting progressively worse in discreet, identifiable "steps"

Anything not in this list (unless I've forgotten it) is the result of something else (like the VGA-connected display issue that was identified and resolved a few posts back)

It has been a long road proving that all of these are actually real things that happen, but I believe we are all in unanimous agreement that they do (with the possible exception of the last point).  Now there is still some debate over whether things like the anti-aliasing and shimmering are actual "problems" that some people get and some don't, or whether they are just normal operation of the game, but (afaik) we also all agree that the other issues mentioned here are not normal, and thus could possibly be fixed some how.

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

Along this same line of thought, I think we should clearly identify and specify all the different aspects of this problem, since different people seem to be reporting different things.  We can then determine if they are or are not related, and possibly start checking off solutions.

So far it seems as though: (please comment if I've missed any and I'll update this post)

• Anti-Aliasing not nearly as effective as it should be (example: see any of the many images that have been posted)
  • Texture flickering/pop-in (objects randomly flash white on and off) (example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prpkhkZszq0)
  • Shimmering (flickering lighting on objects) (example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlg4C0_3fUM)
  • "Minecraft shadows" in a game that should look very realistic and does even with lower settings on other people's machines (example: http://s27.postimg.org/u4g6fcofn/563456.png)
  • Claims that cards start out perfect and then develop this problem over time, getting progressively worse in discreet, identifiable "steps"

Anything not in this list (unless I've forgotten it) is the result of something else (like the VGA-connected display issue that was identified and resolved a few posts back)

It has been a long road proving that all of these are actually real things that happen, but I believe we are all in unanimous agreement that they do (with the possible exception of the last point).  Now there is still some debate over whether things like the anti-aliasing and shimmering are actual "problems" that some people get and some don't, or whether they are just normal operation of the game, but (afaik) we also all agree that the other issues mentioned here are not normal, and thus could possibly be fixed some how.

Well said. This pretty much sums up where we're at with all this.

I think the next step is to gather more comparisons of the same scenes in the same games using the same settings and resolution from people both claiming to have the problems vs people claiming they're not having any problems. 

Already I've seen a noticeable difference between @silverhawk and myself in AC:Syndicate, where the game looks better on my PC using 4xMSAA vs silverhawk using the same settings. Could be some evidence there in proving if this is a real issue or not, but we need more examples like this, IMO. If we see a trend emerging where there is consistent differences like this, then we'll know for sure if there's something going on. Basically; we need more supportive evidence from those making the claims. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler