Low image quality on newer GPUs

Demiqas

il try it bro but it's happening in a few games and I also get a wired shimmery effect that looks like antialiasing isn't working properly

Also again only since the blue screen

Very strange

As they said if you want to be safe first open the game and load a save, enter the command and then make a new save. Once you refresh the ini files it's best to stick to that save and later saves, but I've NEVER had or seen anyone with a problem with Fallout 4. I hack my ini's almost every time I play :lol:

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I was just looking at some random pictures online and I came accross something interesting. A certain forum, when making an image bigger, would make it sharper for a few seconds before it became normal again.

I also noticed that photos at instagram on a desktop look jaggied/oversharpened right after you close or open one, but after a second or two they get "aliased". It doesn't happen in every browser though.

Need to know what resolution and settings you're using in these games. All settings if possible. 

All settings on very high. 1080p resolution

in arkham asylum, the AA is maxed.

in GTA V the aa is on fxaa + 4x MSAA, and 4x MSAA reflections.

I have had this since the topic on nvidia forums. This is the video I made back then. Now it is a tiny bit worse.

Before it started. On those settings in GTA, there would not be the shimmerings at all. The change was sudden, otherwise I wouldnt notice it.

look guys I will tell you this, I have this since I upgraded from gtx 560 ti to r9 290 in march 2015. Everything was good with r9 290. Then I once unplugged one of my vents and plugged and played it while my pc was on. saw a spark, pc shut down. and since then I started to notice. (also before that like a day a go I touched my gpu from the top just to feel the heat of the amds since well I was curious and that restarted the driver)

So i changed to gtx 970 and the problem was allready there. 

And over the course of time of trying to figure out what the hell is wrong I have rated the possible cause (from most possible to least possible) : Motherboard, Powersupply, GPU, CPU, RAM.

Yet that theory was broken because in the old forum, the creator of it, INNEX, LITERALLY replaced his entire system and tried it in another house.

Even though that was only one guy. It really turned me off from thinking I could try and just rebuy everything.

So unless someone, from the higher pedestals of understanding the hardware ever comes to take notice and help us. I think we will have to just live with this sadly and wait 5 years and then make an entire new system.

Me and demiqas will probably make a youtube video somewhat profesionally as a kind of a documentary about this and hopefully it will take some notice. Forums are one thing, the original forums had TONS of reads, but this could spread the word better.

Keep the hopes up but dont expect miracles guys. 

All settings on very high. 1080p resolution

in arkham asylum, the AA is maxed.

in GTA V the aa is on fxaa + 4x MSAA, and 4x MSAA reflections.

I have had this since the topic on nvidia forums. This is the video I made back then. Now it is a tiny bit worse.

Before it started. On those settings in GTA, there would not be the shimmerings at all. The change was sudden, otherwise I wouldnt notice it.

look guys I will tell you this, I have this since I upgraded from gtx 560 ti to r9 290 in march 2015. Everything was good with r9 290. Then I once unplugged one of my vents and plugged and played it while my pc was on. saw a spark, pc shut down. and since then I started to notice. (also before that like a day a go I touched my gpu from the top just to feel the heat of the amds since well I was curious and that restarted the driver)

And over the course of time of trying to figure out what the hell is wrong I have rated the possible cause (from most possible to least possible) : Motherboard, Powersupply, GPU, CPU, RAM.

Yet that theory was broken because in the old forum, the creator of it, INNEX, LITERALLY replaced his entire system and tried it in another house.

Even though that was only one guy. It really turned me off from thinking I could try and just rebuy everything.

So unless someone, from the higher pedestals of understanding the hardware ever comes to take notice and help us. I think we will have to just live with this sadly and wait 5 years and then make an entire new system.

Me and demiqas will probably make a youtube video somewhat profesionally as a kind of a documentary about this and hopefully it will take some notice. Forums are one thing, the original forums had TONS of reads, but this could spread the word better.

Keep the hopes up but dont expect miracles guys. 

an As Fast As Possible type of version should be made in addition to the long form version.

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

Like I've said before, I have built 2 entirely new systems since acquiring this problem with no results.  Thank God for the Micro Center warranty and return policy or I wouldn't have been able to do it.  The ONLY components I reused from the old system were a cheap mouse and keyboard and a 360 controller.  Perhaps these peripherals have some kind of information storage capabilities and the problem transferred to the new systems through them.  Yes it sounds stupid but I don't know what else to think.

I'm planning on building a new system using all new components including the case and peripherals but this will take some time.  Each time I return components to Micro Center I lose a little more money due to the fact that the extra money you pay for the warranty on each part is not refunded. Due to the lack of funds I will probably buy a motherboard with integrated graphics so I won't have to buy a GPU right away.

I can run my 2D games on the mobo integrated graphics and see if the problem persists.  It can clearly be seen on a game called Grey Cubes, which is a simple brick breaking type game.

Also something to note, my v sync option seems to be broke on some of my games now.  This just happened recently and will not fix with in game options or the settings on Catalyst Control Center.  This seems to back up the claim that these issues get worse over time and somehow permanently damage your GPU.  Sorry, I don't have the ability to post videos.

an As Fast As Possible type of version should be made in addition to the long form version.

you mean the documentary?

I don't think ENB, neither Reshade/SweetFX, are the instigator of it. I've always been using ENB with Skyrim on my previous and new laptop, and never had a problem because of it, in this game or any other. But who knows ? Some experienced this issue after changing GFX card, some after a blue screen, some after using an injector, as for me, well it happened just like that, on my GTX 860M, i had not updated drivers or anything. Since few days, seems it even affected videos i'm watching, on Youtube or Twitch, 1080p looks blurry and grainy. I'm trying to get used to it, but hell this is really hard to.

Why the hell are WE trying to FIX this? If it even happens on consoles and other devices.. 

We should somehow spread this issue so that big youtube channels start talking about it.. 

The biggest issue right know is that people don't know about this issue and think this is normal!

41 pages and a month and we still haven't gotten anywhere.

This is why I'm sure the problem doesn't even exist. ^-^

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

Like I've said before, I have built 2 entirely new systems since acquiring this problem with no results.  Thank God for the Micro Center warranty and return policy or I wouldn't have been able to do it.  The ONLY components I reused from the old system were a cheap mouse and keyboard and a 360 controller.  Perhaps these peripherals have some kind of information storage capabilities and the problem transferred to the new systems through them.  Yes it sounds stupid but I don't know what else to think.

I'm planning on building a new system using all new components including the case and peripherals but this will take some time.  Each time I return components to Micro Center I lose a little more money due to the fact that the extra money you pay for the warranty on each part is not refunded. Due to the lack of funds I will probably buy a motherboard with integrated graphics so I won't have to buy a GPU right away.

I can run my 2D games on the mobo integrated graphics and see if the problem persists.  It can clearly be seen on a game called Grey Cubes, which is a simple brick breaking type game.

Also something to note, my v sync option seems to be broke on some of my games now.  This just happened recently and will not fix with in game options or the settings on Catalyst Control Center.  This seems to back up the claim that these issues get worse over time and somehow permanently damage your GPU.  Sorry, I don't have the ability to post videos.

Honestly, I think you're wasting your time and money building whole new systems. Peripherals have no effect on image quality and cannot store data in the capacity by which you're implying. Instead of just "trying all the things!" we need to stop, take a step back and think about this logically.

Changing one thing at a time is the best method to finding a cause. When you change a bunch of things at once, you will not know what, specifically, made the difference and you're still left guessing.

Also, there are no motherboards with on-board graphics anymore. You'd have to buy an Intel CPU with integrated Intel HD graphics or an AMD APU. 

i have this strange problem since I installed a ENB Mod for Skyrim a year ago. I found the file in my download history. Is it possible that this is the reason for this flicker sh**?

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/15105/? 

Been running Sharpshooter's Classic ENB with my modded Skyrim for years. Never had an issue to this day. Plus lots of people claiming to have these issues don't play Skyrim or don't even have it installed. So it's not this. 

What remains to be seen is video footage evidence of before and after the graphics has "degraded" as claimed. Until someone provides such evidence, I have no reason to believe it is happening, nor can I or anyone else make any suggestions as to how to fix it. All my games look the same as they did on my 290's and the same as the day I installed the 980 nearly 2 months ago now. 

We KNOW LOD bias has gone away with the older cards (GTX 400 series), that it has not been an option since and that it cannot be implemented on any game that is DX10+. So this is nothing new. 

Also, I'd like to point out, again, that pretty much 100% of these claims are coming from people running a resolution of 1080p (or lower) and none from people using higher resolutions. Has anyone been experiencing these "problems" on a higher resolution display? (1440p or higher)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

41 pages and a month and we still haven't gotten anywhere.

This is why I'm sure the problem doesn't even exist. ^-^

There have been a few posts within the last 5 pages showing game footage with clearly visible graphical issues (TW2: texture/shadow/object pop-in at close proximity to character in game, AC Syndicate: poor aliasing despite high AA settings in game etc.). Issues I do not see on my PC when I run the same game with the same settings. So there could possibly be a problem. In relation to those examples, I have no explanation. 

Before we can "get anywhere", we first need to establish if there is a problem in the first place and what that problem is, specifically. I'm still not 100% convinced, but it is possible some people are having issues to some extent, based on what I've seen thus far. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Also, I'd like to point out, again, that pretty much 100% of these claims are coming from people running a resolution of 1080p (or lower) and none from people using higher resolutions. Has anyone been experiencing these "problems" on a higher resolution display? (1440p or higher)

I've stated several times that I've tried downsampling from 1440p and 4k with both DSR and OGSSAA. All the white  lines were still there. I know about normal anti aliasing not affecting temporal aliasing, but downsampling from 4k resolution should surely lower their visibility? Unless it's not even temporal aliasing. I know that before the graphics downgrade happening, these white lines were nowhere to be seen, so I don't think I can assume it's temporal aliasing anyway.

i dont know but is it possible that all of this visual degradation is because the shadow map or shadow depth is failure? or ambient occlusion? because i think its not the anti aliasing not working since some object do finely anti aliased and shimmering object its perhaps because a "miss calculation" on predicting shadow? and thats maybe the answer to the white line on the aliased object. its just my guess

I've stated several times that I've tried downsampling from 1440p and 4k with both DSR and OGSSAA. All the white lines were still there. I know about normal anti aliasing not affecting temporal aliasing, but downsampling from 4k resolution should surely lower their visibility? Unless it's not even temporal aliasing. I know that before the graphics downgrade happening, these white lines were nowhere to be seen, so I don't think I can assume it's temporal aliasing anyway.

There's a huge difference between DSR/VSR and actually having the extra pixels.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

There's a huge difference between DSR/VSR and actually having the extra pixels.

True, but as my photoshop touch-ups of some of the images with antialiasing problems proved, the games can look better - ie, it is possible eith the number of pixel present - so, why they still don't with large downsamples remains to be seen.  Maybe downsampling from 8k or something is necessary, or maybe there is some other issue.  Point is, it should help a decent amount, and if it is not, something is strange.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I've stated several times that I've tried downsampling from 1440p and 4k with both DSR and OGSSAA. All the white  lines were still there. I know about normal anti aliasing not affecting temporal aliasing, but downsampling from 4k resolution should surely lower their visibility? Unless it's not even temporal aliasing. I know that before the graphics downgrade happening, these white lines were nowhere to be seen, so I don't think I can assume it's temporal aliasing anyway.

And I've mentioned several times that 4k DSR/VSR on a 1080p display is still limited to the pixel size/density of a 1080p display and therefore does not and cannot fix all aliasing effects. You need to go full native 4k to see the true difference. 

True, but as my photoshop touch-ups of some of the images with antialiasing problems proved, the games can look better - ie, it is possible eith the number of pixel present - so, why they still don't with large downsamples remains to be seen.  Maybe downsampling from 8k or something is necessary, or maybe there is some other issue.  Point is, it should help a decent amount, and if it is not, something is strange.

While we did prove the image could look better, we have to remember we're at the mercy of how the game was developed and how those levels and types of AA were implemented by the devs. Even while using 4k DSR, it still might be a limitation of the game engine itself in terms of how well it effects the image quality. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

And I've mentioned several times that 4k DSR/VSR on a 1080p display is still limited to the pixel size/density of a 1080p display and therefore does not and cannot fix all aliasing effects. You need to go full native 4k to see the true difference. 

While we did prove the image could look better, we have to remember we're at the mercy of how the game was developed and how those levels and types of AA were implemented by the devs. Even while using 4k DSR, it still might be a limitation of the game engine itself in terms of how well it effects the image quality. 

My point is that even on a pixel-density-limited 1080p display, and even with zero anti-aliasing, if you crank up the DSR high enough (16k?  32k?  idk) simply because of what that is doing would literally have to make it look like the pics I posted.  How couldn't it?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

My point is that even on a pixel-density-limited 1080p display, and even with zero anti-aliasing, if you crank up the DSR high enough (16k?  32k?  idk) simply because of what that is doing would literally have to make it look like the pics I posted.  How couldn't it?

That may be the case in extreme scenarios (like 16k + DSR), but 4k is only 4x the pixels. So depending on how well the game is scaling down the image to 1080p, it still might not be enough to eliminate the aliasing (at 4k DSR). 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

That may be the case in extreme scenarios (like 16k + DSR), but 4k is only 4x the pixels. So depending on how well the game is image scaling down the image to 1080p, it still might not be enough to eliminate the aliasing (at 4k DSR). 

true - some of these really harsh examples would not be affected to the point where people would call it acceptable by a mere 4k -> 1080p reduction.

true - some of these really harsh examples would not be affected to the point where people would call it acceptable by a mere 4k -> 1080p reduction.

Edited my post so the second sentence now makes sense. :P

Yeah, if you go back and look at my Alien Isolation video, 4k DSR doesn't look much different than 1080p native - in that game anyways. The aliasing is still very prominent.

In other games DSR seems to make a bigger/more noticeable difference though. It seems to be game-dependent as to how well it works at reducing aliasing. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

Just started Dragon's Dogma today. As much as i've accpeted by now this problem and am enjoying gaming fully again... this really tears my heart apart everytime i start a new game anyway until i get used to it... especially if it's pronounced like in this one. Just look at the shadows and the swimming textures on the buildings...

*breathes calmly* *tries not to cry* *mans up* Ok, let's just keep thinking and testing... something will come up eventually... i just know it.

I know this is a port of a last gen game, so the artifacts are prolly more pronounced on this one than in others due to an old engine clashing with whatever is causing this LOS/Aliasing shit, still, that's now how it plays on other systems and other videos i saw online. And that's with 4k dsr as you can see at a certain point where i chage resolution.

P.S.: the game, graphical shit aside, is an instant classic and i reccomend it to any lover of action rpgs (it's offtopic, but bear with me, feels good to say something postive for a change in this thread of doom, gloom and despair).

Honestly, I think you're wasting your time and money building whole new systems. Changing one thing at a time is the best method to finding a cause. When you change a bunch of things at once, you will not know what, specifically, made the difference and you're still left guessing.

I tried changing individual components before I built a whole new pc.  In this order: GPU, PSU, hard drive, mobo and CPU, ram.  No results. I individually changed out basically every component that I figured could possibly be causing this.  It seems like it has to be a software issue, which makes it harder to pinpoint.  I know how to build computers cause it's fairly uncomplicated, but I know a lot less about programming or how software actually works.

I tried changing individual components before I built a whole new pc.  In this order: GPU, PSU, hard drive, mobo and CPU, ram.  No results. I individually changed out basically every component that I figured could possibly be causing this.  It seems like it has to be a software issue, which makes it harder to pinpoint.  I know how to build computers cause it's fairly uncomplicated, but I know a lot less about programming or how software actually works.

Someone should try to build a new one from scrap with nothing in common and plug in a random 5 dollar keyboard and mouse and possibly another cheap monitor. Than see if it works properly. And start switching in components til it gets bugged. That would give a definite answer... but who has the money to throw right? Wish i had...