1440p 144Hz Cable to use?

tom_mack98

Hey all,

Planning on picking up a 1440p 144hz monitor, but I am unsure on which cable will support this resolution with this refresh rate. I have a 980ti, so games at this resolution with a higher FPS is possible.

If this isn't possible; (for CS:GO) will I be able to set my in-game resolution to 1080p and receive 144hz?

Thanks for the help guys! :)

May you have many mahogany doors. | http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/GsxYcf

Displayport :)

Also, follow your topics.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

DP

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Displayport :)

Also, follow your topics.

No need to follow topics if you check back on them. 

He posted it a minute ago, so it's not like he hasn't replied for ages. 

No need to follow topics if you check back on them. 

He posted it a minute ago, so it's not like he hasn't replied for ages. 

Its a good habit to get into.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Thanks for the quick response,

which version of DisplayPort would I be looking at?

There's no difference. Displayport cables are displayport cables. The revisions of Displayport are efficiency changes that have nothing to do with the cable. 

Double penetration of the DP cable from the monitor into the graphics card.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

What monitor? It may include a DP cable already.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

What monitor? It may include a DP cable already.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/acer-predator-xg270huomidpx-27-2560x1440-tn-freesync-144hz-gaming-widescreen-led-monitor-black-re-mo-078-ac.html

It does, however, Im in need of a couple of lengthy ones, 2meters plus

There's no difference. Displayport cables are displayport cables. The revisions of Displayport are efficiency changes that have nothing to do with the cable. 

This isn't correct. Displayport cables do come with different amounts of bandwidth certification and 1440p@144 is specifically designed to run near the limit of DP 1.2. I would recommend you find a cable that say it supports HBR2 and this will ensure it meets the necessary quality standards. I have had problems with multiple DP cables with 1440p@144 and 1440@165 because I run it 3m instead of the usual 1-2 and cable quality has caused a lot of issues.

This isn't correct. Displayport cables do come with different amounts of bandwidth certification and 1440p@144 is specifically designed to run near the limit of DP 1.2. I would recommend you find a cable that say it supports HBR2 and this will ensure it meets the necessary quality standards. I have had problems with multiple DP cables with 1440p@144 and 1440@165 because I run it 3m instead of the usual 1-2 and cable quality has caused a lot of issues.

There are RBR (reduced bit rate) cables that don't support more than 1080p, but all other cables are the same. There is no difference between a 1.1 or 1.2 cable, it is just marketing. 

EDIT: Sure, if you buy dirt cheap cables that use poor quality wiring, you may have issues over longer distances, but that is not a difference in DP revisions, that is just a cheap, crappy cable. 

Despite what you may read, there is no such thing as a DisplayPort 1.1 cable and DisplayPort 1.2 cable.  A standard DisplayPort cable, including the so-call DisplayPort 1.1 cables, will work for any DisplayPort configuration including the new capabilities enabled by DisplayPort 1.2, including 4K and multi-stream capabilities.  All standard DisplayPort cables support RBR, HBR (High Bit Rate), and HBR2 (High Bit Rate 2), which can support 4K at 60Hz, or up to four 1080p displays using multi-stream.

http://www.displayport.org/cables/how-to-choose-a-displayport-cable-and-not-get-a-bad-one/

There are RBR (reduced bit rate) cables that don't support more than 1080p, but all other cables are the same. There is no difference between a 1.1 or 1.2 cable, it is just marketing. 

EDIT: Sure, if you buy dirt cheap cables that use poor quality wiring, you may have issues over longer distances, but that is not a difference in DP revisions, that is just a cheap, crappy cable. 

http://www.displayport.org/cables/how-to-choose-a-displayport-cable-and-not-get-a-bad-one/

http://www.quietpc.com/displayport-cables?gclid=CjwKEAiA7MWyBRDpi5TFqqmm6hMSJAD6GLeAZTzt56Ci-arXiSkcIYthzKYhhf2njleRJV5sHEU4rhoCK5fw_wcB

This one here has HBR2 in the spec, not much info around the web about 1440p 144hz support, hence me posting here... thanks for the clear up guys :)

• 1 year later...

I know there are no versions of cables. I also know to use the DP with the Asus PG279Q monitor. But the cable supplied seems to be too short, like 3ft long. And I see a lot of complaints about 6ft or 10 ft cables not working of working only at 60Hz. Don't tell me I just spent $1000 cdn on a monitor that will not fully work because the cable is too short. Is there a 6ft cable out there that will work at 1440p/144Hz or even 165Hz? I've seen that they work up to 10Ft but they never say at what resolution of refresh rate.

On 11/22/2015 at 5:17 AM, BrightCandle said:

There are no certifications for different bandwidth levels, other than RBR. Beyond that there is only a Standard DisplayPort cable. Yes, it is possible to find DisplayPort cables that do not handle higher data rates. That does not mean they are certified for a lower bandwidth level, it means they are not certified, period. There is only one certification for DisplayPort cables, and any cable that meets that certification will work for full HBR2 bandwidth. If you a buy a non-certified cable instead, naturally all bets are off.

14 hours ago, richardp said:

I know there are no versions of cables. I also know to use the DP with the Asus PG279Q monitor. But the cable supplied seems to be too short, like 3ft long. And I see a lot of complaints about 6ft or 10 ft cables not working of working only at 60Hz. Don't tell me I just spent $1000 cdn on a monitor that will not fully work because the cable is too short. Is there a 6ft cable out there that will work at 1440p/144Hz or even 165Hz? I've seen that they work up to 10Ft but they never say at what resolution of refresh rate.

Any cable listed in the DisplayPort certification database should work for this.

https://www.displayport.org/products-database/

Got the monitor and the cable is fine.

Everything is working ok.

:-)