Ark DX12 patch delayed indefintely (update Jan 2017- now Vulkan in the works)

Humbug

Ark is the only game that actually bottlenecks my I5 4670k. I actually saw some pretty impressive gains from overclocking it. (from 30 fps to 60) which is just bananas.

This is only confirming what I've been thinking for a fair bit. We will not be seeing DX12 in games for a while. DX9, 10, and 11 will still be king.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Early access is such BS anyway just like pre ordering an excuse to do a lousy job.

right, they're definately doing a lousy job, you know, patching on a daily basis what some games take weeks to do.

This is only confirming what I've been thinking for a fair bit. We will not be seeing DX12 in games for a while. DX9, 10, and 11 will still be king.

I think that the first games to come out soon that will be using DX 12 will be Deus ex Mankind divided, which is slated for early next year, or fable legends.

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

DX10 is pretty much dead. Devs either use DX9 or 11 today. However I think DX11 will be used for smaller graphics intensive games, where as DX 12 should be king for AAA games (which Ark isn't). Eidos will have DX12 on all their games from now on (Rise of the Tomb Raider, Deus Ex Mankind Divided and Hitman, all coming out in the next half year).

EA graphics engine dev still said he wants WDDM2/DX12 as minimum spec for holidays 2016, and considering the adoption rate of Windows 10, I think it will be possible (for AAA games).

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

DX10 is pretty much dead. Devs either use DX9 or 11 today.

Maybe it is, but Skyrim used a mixture of both DX9 and DX10.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Maybe it is, but Skyrim used a mixture of both DX9 and DX10.

But that game is almost 4 years old now. Today most games released are DX9 and/or 11. I really wish more people would adopt Windows 10 (and that MS focus more on bug fixes). Having a homogenous platform with just one API to focus on (DX12), and maybe Vulkan (which also benefits from Windows 10 due to WDDM 2.0). Much better games with better optimization and bug fixing. But we shall see once all these DX12 games comes out in q1 2016.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I can't believe people pay to play unfinished games that are in such a shitty state. That game looks horrible. It doesn't even seem that interesting if they can ever get the thing working.

The game actually went on sale on steam for $20 today... glad I didn't jump on the gun. Meantime, I'll play something else.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Which part? From benchmarks we've seen NVidia going from negative performance to miniscule performance increase going from DX11 to DX12. That is a fact so far. Now the dev said themselves, they see no reason to spend a lot of resources on this, unless there is a big performance increase. That we know there is on AMD, especially using async compute, which NVidia don't support (yet or so they claim).

Now this being an Nvidia sponsored GameWorks title, there is no chance in hell, they are going to make AMD specific performance upgrades if they make AMD perform better and/or Nvidia performing worse.

Just look at what we know about DX11/12 on AMD and NVidia, then look at how GameWorks titles works on AMD and NVidia. Should not come as a surprise at all.

Looking at the arugment from that way, from your point of view it does make sense in that regard.

Shame, I feel ARK could have benefited greatly from using DX12.

With Microsoft trying to get DX12 compatibility on as many games as they can and all, I could see NVidia and Microsoft coming head to head in some way in the near future if they go down this route of preventing DX12 on gameworks titles.

Looking at the arugment from that way, from your point of view it does make sense in that regard.

Shame, I feel ARK could have benefited greatly from using DX12.

With Microsoft trying to get DX12 compatibility on as many games as they can and all, I could see NVidia and Microsoft coming head to head in some way in the near future if they go down this route of preventing DX12 on gameworks titles.

Well for the most part, games will not suffer on NVidia in DX12, so I think devs will still use it. Games just won't benefit as much on NVidia hardware as AMD hardware. That being said, it's really all about implementation. If the game uses concurrent async compute a lot, AMD will own that game. Fable Legends didn't, so the performance difference is much smaller between the two vendors.

Nvidia has focused more on DX12.1, and I believe (we don't know yet), that NVidia will benefit from all the ordered rasterizations that 12.1 includes. Maybe that will save performance?

Either way, I assume Pascal will be a strong architecture with proper concurrent async compute. If not, I bet NVidia will lose a lot of market share next year, because DX12 will be adopted (~24% steam users has win10 + dx12 gpu 5 weeks after launch).

I can't believe people pay to play unfinished games that are in such a shitty state. That game looks horrible. It doesn't even seem that interesting if they can ever get the thing working.

It works just fine, the game looks nice in most cases and as for buying u finished games.. Well why do people play alpha/beta games? To help improve the game by reporting issues. Considering G how shitty AAA's games QC Teams are and they only have open beta tests I think it's not a bad idea to have "early access"

Some games abuse this to make money and never find is the games though like dayZ.

Ark however is being patched and updated regularly.

It works just fine, the game looks nice in most cases and as for buying unfinished games... Well why do people play alpha/beta games? To help improve the game by reporting issues. Considering how shitty AAA's games QC Teams are and they only have open beta tests I think it's not a bad idea to have "early access" paying for it however.. Well all I can say is early access games are cheaper than it will be on release so people buy it because they believe in it and want to help improve it but Some developers abuse this to make money and never finish the games, like dayZ.

This greatly angers me....

Make a game with a Titan X as the requirements to run it on 50FPS Ultra and do not support SLI.  What about those with SLI 970s, or me with SLI 770s?  Value rigs are left out.  The Devs answer, "SLI will be coming with the DX12 update and will improve performance drastically!"  But that never came...  I don't want DX12.  It would be interesting to the Computer Scientist in me to play around with a DX12 game and see DX12 in Unreal Engine (a beautiful looking engine by the way).  However, this does not excuse the exclusion of SLI.  Why can't I use both of my GPUs?  Why do a number of Devs still see SLI/Crossfire support as unimportant although many others have seen how important it is to the community especially with the prevalence of multi-card budget rigs? 

Well...  That's my two cents...

Should've never listened to friends and bought a game in alpha....

But at least GTA was a good port right!

But that game is almost 4 years old now. Today most games released are DX9 and/or 11. I really wish more people would adopt Windows 10 (and that MS focus more on bug fixes). Having a homogenous platform with just one API to focus on (DX12), and maybe Vulkan (which also benefits from Windows 10 due to WDDM 2.0). Much better games with better optimization and bug fixing. But we shall see once all these DX12 games comes out in q1 2016.

Why do you want a homogenized system when the point of a PC is to be able to customize your experience?  Also you really want EVERYONE to adopt Windows 10 with its current bugs and privacy issues, along with learning a new OS just so you can have DX12 which works on only one OS?

and then "they lie" to their clients saying "we will support DX12 games" lol  :lol:

oh nvidia... the way to break games  <_<

So UE4 engine DX12 support is just like Nvidia DX12 support? Marketing gimmick support.

We "Support" DX12

hqg-52.gif

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Not even slightly surprised...

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

It works just fine, the game looks nice in most cases and as for buying unfinished games... Well why do people play alpha/beta games? To help improve the game by reporting issues. Considering how shitty AAA's games QC Teams are and they only have open beta tests I think it's not a bad idea to have "early access" paying for it however.. Well all I can say is early access games are cheaper than it will be on release so people buy it because they believe in it and want to help improve it but Some developers abuse this to make money and never finish the games, like dayZ.

I worked QA for a few months at a major publisher, we found the shit but the publisher didn't care and still sent the games in for first party certification whether they were broken or not, and hoped the MS/Sony/Nintendo teams wouldn't find all the gamebreaking shit. Of course any game is going to ship with bugs, but I couldn't believe the one the main game I worked on shipped with. My boss came in and told us we had 6 hours to completely break the game because they were hoping to send it off for certification in the morning and one of my friends and I found this complete game breaking MP bug, I mean it might have been the worst bug the entire team found that month. It was really easy to activate, could be done anywhere in MP, and made it almost impossible to get killed. We wrote it up as a highest priority bug and thought no way this build is getting submitted for certification, but the publisher said fuck it, sent it in anyways, it passed first party certification on all systems, and the game launched with this complete game breaking MP bug on two systems.  And no Day 1 patch.  :lol:

So my experience there was the fucked up game was the fault of the publisher, not QA or development.

So glad I got the refund for this piece of shit game. It ran like absolute rubbish on my machine.

I worked QA for a few months at a major publisher, we found the shit but the publisher didn't care and still sent the games in for first party certification whether they were broken or not, and hoped the MS/Sony/Nintendo teams wouldn't find all the gamebreaking shit. Of course any game is going to ship with bugs, but I couldn't believe the one the main game I worked on shipped with. My boss came in and told us we had 6 hours to completely break the game because they were hoping to send it off for certification in the morning and one of my friends and I found this complete game breaking MP bug, I mean it might have been the worst bug the entire team found that month. It was really easy to activate, could be done anywhere in MP, and made it almost impossible to get killed. We wrote it up as a highest priority bug and thought no way this build is getting submitted for certification, but the publisher said fuck it, sent it in anyways, it passed first party certification on all systems, and the game launched with this complete game breaking MP bug on two systems. And no Day 1 patch. :lol:

So my experience there was the fucked up game was the fault of the publisher, not QA or development.

"shrugs" if that's how things work then isn't that fraud or... Something law breaking? Like how VW "lied" about there cars?

Nvidia is already being sued for the 3,5 VRAM. They are pros at false advertising, yet this is shit related to games... The market cap it's like what? 10 billion? No one cares, and the consumers support and rejoice on it :)

Nvidia is already being sued for the 3,5 VRAM. They are pros at false advertising, yet this is shit related to games... The market cap it's like what? 10 billion? No one cares, and the consumers support and rejoice on it :)

*sigh* 4GB vRAM bogus, 4GB vRAM- I've seen all 4GB of it used so it is all there.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Hang on, what????

Care to explain exactly how Vulkan benefits from WDDM 2.0?

I don't think you understand what WDDM is, like at all.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Why do you want a homogenized system when the point of a PC is to be able to customize your experience?  Also you really want EVERYONE to adopt Windows 10 with its current bugs and privacy issues, along with learning a new OS just so you can have DX12 which works on only one OS?

Especially for AAA games, it will be beneficial for PC gamers. The reason is due to most AAA games not being PC exclusive, thus the PC platform is usually less than 1/3rd of the entire market for that particular game (e.g. Ubisoft is in the single digits on PC).

Right now, we have Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 (64 bit usually min spec), with DX 9, 11, 11.1, 11.3, 12 and OpenGL API's. WAY too much fragmentation for a small market share.

Having one Windows version with WDDM 2.0 (lower CPU overhead on both DX12 and Vulkan), one version to code for, one documents folder structure, and just 3 API's for focus on (DX12 & Vulkan. 11.3 is for devs who won't/can't do DX12, but they are usually not AAA games I guess).

As for Windows 10 itself, you can disable most stuff that has do to with privacy. The start menu is back and much better, so it really doesn't take that much effort to learn W10 differences. Some part of the control panel has been extracted to a separate settings page, but that is a pro for most consumers, as it's easier and gives a better overview. For a 5 week old OS, it has surprisingly few bugs and hard/software support issues. After all in 6 months, W10 should have less bugs than W7 for instance anyways.