Can I use double-sided tape to mount a hard drive?

Dobbsjr

To see why I can't mount with screws see here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/444456-is-it-okay-if-i-just-screw-one-of-the-screw-holes-on-the-hard-drive/#entry5961664

Can I use double sided tape to tape the side of drive to the side of the cage?

Did my post help you? Then make sure to rate it!

Check out my post on symbolic links! || PSU ranking and tiers || Pokemon Thread

Sounds like you need a roll of duct tape

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Don't see why not. Try and see if you got something to stop it from vibrating. Like little rubber things.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

duct tape the sides to the drive tray with a piece of rubber in between the drive and the tray.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

I guess you can... There are no laws for keeping drives mounted properly.

My native language is C++

To see why I can't mount with screws see here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/444456-is-it-okay-if-i-just-screw-one-of-the-screw-holes-on-the-hard-drive/#entry5961664

If you have a sled or metal tray I'd screw it onto that first before sticking it in place but only say on the bottom of a case.

EDIT: Ah stripped screw head so yeah double stick it to the bottom of the case would be the next best option.

Edited by W-L

If you have a sled or metal tray I'd screw it onto that first before sticking it in place but only say on the bottom of a case.

EDIT: Ah stripped screw head so yeah double stick it to the bottom of the case would be the next best option.

Well the reason I'm using the tape is because I damaged the too half of the threads on 3 of the screw holes on the HDD

Did my post help you? Then make sure to rate it!

Check out my post on symbolic links! || PSU ranking and tiers || Pokemon Thread

Well the reason I'm using the tape is because I damaged the too half of the threads on 3 of the screw holes on the HDD

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91eGSyDS6HL._SL1500_.jpg

heres what you should actually use

its incredibly strong

and you can get it at any hardware store

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Use smaller width 3M VHB double sided foam tape. It's extremely strong and the foaminess helps stop vibrations.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Been there, done that.

note: Don't use double-sided tape made for paper!!!!

Use the thick foamy ones that are generally used for wall mounting canvas, frames, clocks etc.

Those type are pretty damn strong. It felt like my ssd was gonna break in half when I tried to rebuild my pc.(This were in the days where SSD's were still not common and most cases still used 2.5" brackets just to mount an ssd)

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

Yeah you could double stick it down or get those sleds that just clip the drive into place and don't rely on screws.

If you only have one HDD as storage and say want to completely ditch HDD bays and not want it to stand out like a sore thumb at the bottom of the case you could get something like this to hide it and mount it:

http://www.chillblast.com/Scythe-Quiet-Drive-HDD-Silencer.html

If it is a ssd, then its a no-brainer and go ahead and do it. However if its an hdd, then make sure that the piece of metal it is being attached to is sturdy enough so that there is no vibration in the metal, which can kill the hard drive over time

Double sided velcro tape if you need it to be removable. :D

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Way back when I "mounted" my hard drive by it hanging loose diaganoly by its IDE cable. Pretty sure that drives still alive today in a box somewhere.

Am I suggesting you do this? No. But this should indicate to you that using double-sides tape should work just fine.