What speakers for $2,000?

johnt

This topic is a little something different than the typical recommendations for $100-$200 speakers.

I'm looking for entry to mid range audiophile level speakers. My maximum budget is $2,000 for a pair of speakers mainly used for all types of music and some gaming. They will be used in a 2.1/2.2 setup. I already own the subs these new speakers will be paired with.

My initial thought is to purchase speakers from the same brand as my subs, which is Power Sound Audio. But I want to see what alternatives you guys might propose. Plus, general discussion is always appreciated.

Updates:

I like the sound of SVS speakers, so the Ultra towers should probably go on your list. Serious frequency extension so you can set the crossover low and avoid localization. I won't bother with more comment, there are plenty of reviews out there for you to peruse.

I like the sound of SVS speakers, so the Ultra towers should probably go on your list. Serious frequency extension so you can set the crossover low and avoid localization. I won't bother with more comment, there are plenty of reviews out there for you to peruse.

The best speakers that I've heard in that price range would probably have to be the KEF LS50, but if you don't want bookshelf style, then look elsewhere :) they're incredibly well reviewed though, and they're very, very pretty.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

I want to recommend something from JBL that would fit his or her budget, but all I have are JBL530's which I can vouch for. Problem is that they are both kind of cheap  All I can say is that you may want to check JBL out.

Random person here...

A B&W perhaps? I really do like the smooth B&W house sound. KEF Q900 is also a fantastic speaker when paired with sub

If you want a more forwardness in the treble, yamaha has some good speakers but it might create some sibilances

I'm familiar with the Ultra Towers. They are absolute beasts and very, very well priced. Definitely a great suggestion. I'll have to see if there are any dealers nearby and give these a listen. Have you ever been near one or heard one?

Good list! Some of the designs are out there. I have never heard of Spendor before... predominantly a UK company. The nearest sales in US is in New York  -_-

The best speakers that I've heard in that price range would probably have to be the KEF LS50, but if you don't want bookshelf style, then look elsewhere :) they're incredibly well reviewed though, and they're very, very pretty.

I agree they are very well reviewed... and gorgeous. I see them on sale for $1,200 or so all the time at massdrop. I'll need to keep these in mind. And I'm not picky if it's towers or bookshelves.

I want to recommend something from JBL that would fit his or her budget, but all I have are JBL530's which I can vouch for. Problem is that they are both kind of cheap  All I can say is that you may want to check JBL out.

The 530's are literally the benchmark for speakers pairs under $1,000. JBL did some magic voodoo with these studio monitors. They aren't much to look at when you remove the grille, but they sound amazing.

A B&W perhaps? I really do like the smooth B&W house sound. KEF Q900 is also a fantastic speaker when paired with sub

If you want a more forwardness in the treble, yamaha has some good speakers but it might create some sibilances

Not sure how I feel about the CM series. They sound great, but their looks haven't won me over yet  ^_^ maybe I should have another look... The Q900 is also catching my attention.

I'm familiar with the Ultra Towers. They are absolute beasts and very, very well priced. Definitely a great suggestion. I'll have to see if there are any dealers nearby and give these a listen. Have you ever been near one or heard one?

Sadly, no. I've heard the Prime Satellites and SB-1000; if they Ultras are better than that, they must be quite good indeed.

Hands down, Maggie 1.6QR's, that is, if you have room that would suit them. If that is not the case, then Monitor Audio RX8's.

Get some good quality studio monitors, something like KRK RP10's or KRK VXT 8's;

362e6d7d_Groupshot4.jpeg

KRK_RP10-3_01.jpg?vzwGkoBAJiufsQIPj3p9b6

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Get some good quality studio monitors, something like KRK RP10's or KRK VXT 8's;

362e6d7d_Groupshot4.jpeg

At this price they should be floor standing

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

362e6d7d_Groupshot4.jpeg

JBL's LSR305 beats them out. Plus TS has a $2000 budget. I think its better if we actually suggest something that actually makes total use of the budget.

Random person here...

What do you mean lol  :P

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

JBL's LSR305 beats them out. Plus TS has a $2000 budget. I think its better if we actually suggest something that actually makes total use of the budget.

Dude the JBL's LSR305 are 148€ the VXT 8 are 550€ a piece

Also do you realise that's the setup of Laidback Luke?

lsr305_front_r.jpg

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

lsr305_front_r.jpg

Elton John, Stevie Wonder, Quincy Jones, or TokuP could use KRK speakers. But if measurements and perceived sound translates to ass, then its ass, no matter how good the music was mastered. The music can be mastered, mixed, etc... to the best that it can. But if it sounds like ass through the same speakers they use, then its ass. Might as well get another pair of speakers that actually perform as advertised or beyond that.

And no, I don't like using products that suck when there are products for slightly more or less money that perform much better based on measurements and perceived sound.

Random person here...

What do you mean lol :P

Floor standing speakers.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

So?

This is just another example of M50x sickness, people recommending something that is simultaneously overpriced and under budget. :rolleyes:

So?

This is just another example of M50x sickness, people recommending something that is simultaneously overpriced and under budget. :rolleyes:

I wonder what would get people to stop recommending products like the M50X. Maybe if Justin Beiber used one, that'd help.

Random person here...

Sadly, no. I've heard the Prime Satellites and SB-1000; if they Ultras are better than that, they must be quite good indeed.

I believe I heard the SB-2000 back in May. I almost bought it too, but I made the mistake of listening to the SB13-Ultra first, and the SB-2000 just sounded like a damn boom box by comparison. I'm looking over SVS's website... really tempted to audition those Ultra Towers.

KRK definitely seems like it might fit the bill. Is that your setup in the first pic?

Looks like there's a few US dealers in San Francisco and Sacramento that I might be able to explore. I wish KRK would post the speaker sensitivity. It's pretty important for me to buy an efficient speaker to keep up with my subs.

Have you heard Focal Chorus? Are you planning on using a receiver/preamp?

Floor standing is preferred, but I didn't want to be terribly limiting. Based on what I know, I might be able to get better bookshelf speakers for my budget than floor standing just because there's less materials.

Have you heard Focal Chorus? Are you planning on using a receiver/preamp?

I haven't. Seems like they are a number of dealers near me. I'm adding it to my list to research.

Correct, I plan to use a receiver. I was hoping for a smaller alternative because my desk space is at a premium, but I can't seem to find anything.