Gaming Headphone Recommendations?

So my Sennheiser 363Ds just broke RIP. They served my well and I enjoyed using them. I considered buying them again but decided I could probably do better. My budget is within the $250-100

range and I do not need a microphone as I have a external mic that i use. I don't have a soundcard aside from the external usb one that came with my 363ds. I'd be probaly using front panel audio or usb audio.

I'm looking for headphones that have good sound quality while having very good directional sound( I play a lot of competitive Counter Strike ).

Thanks guys!

tl;dr Headphone recommendations, budget $250-100 , directional sound is important, have no dedicated soundcard or amp. Microphone not important

ath m50x or hd558's. For bang for the buck.

DT 990 for ballin' headphones.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

ath m50x

no.

AKG k612 pro

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

With a budget of $250, I wouldn't use the front panel audio, It gets a ton of interference. Use the ports at the back, directly from the motherboard. 

Audio Technica ATH M50X is a solid choice. 

EDIT: Beyer Dynamic DT 990 Pro are also a nice choice. 

Sennhieser 598's. IMO, sweet spot for price/performance for gaming. Especially if you value being able to have directional sense.  Mind you they are open, so you need to game in a quiet room otherwise you will get external noise bleeding in.  Here is a pretty honest and accurate review: 

First all thanks for replying with your suggestions.

Right now I'm leaning towards the  DT 990 but I'm not sure which version to get. Does it have good directional sound and do I need an amp or dedicated soundcard to use it?

Honestly all of these look good but some look like they really aren't intended for gaming and would have bad surround sound/directional sound. Also how would they handle media that was intended to be consumed in surround sound like tv or movies?

I'm going to be honest, I'm completely lost here so any help I can get is really appreciated. I never really tried to figure out audio that much so I'm a total noob at this. 

EDIT: Just saw the 598 post I think that might be a good one too but that color is a big minus. :(

STAY AWAY FROM THE M50X!!!

ath m50x

With a budget of $250, I wouldn't use the front panel audio, It gets a ton of interference. Use the ports at the back, directly from the motherboard. 

Audio Technica ATH M50X is a solid choice. 

EDIT: Beyer Dynamic DT 990 Pro are also a nice choice. 

I'm sending you guys lemons instead of dick pics...

Anyways, for my recommendation, the AKG K612 or the AKG Q701 (the Q701's positional accuracy and soundstage is ridiculously good for gaming, but the K612 is like a hair behind)

Formerly known as TumbleButt (I won't send dick pics now, I'll just send lemons instead (rotting lemons from now on). Recommend the M50X, I'll send you a rotting lemon... because thats what you are, a rotting lemon...)

ath-m50x is the opposite of bang for you're buck, hd 558 is similar to the 598 and I would just get the HD 600

DT 990 is great though.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

ath-m50x is the opposite of bang for you're buck, hd 558 is similar to the 598 and I would just get the HD 600

DT 990 is great though.

^^^^^^

Although, for positional accuracy and soundstage, the K612 Pro would do a better job than the DT 990.

Formerly known as TumbleButt (I won't send dick pics now, I'll just send lemons instead (rotting lemons from now on). Recommend the M50X, I'll send you a rotting lemon... because thats what you are, a rotting lemon...)

^^^^^^

Although, for positional accuracy and soundstage, the K612 Pro would do a better job than the DT 990.

It may have a better sound stage but game engines suck anyway, I would just personally look at what sound signature is better suited to the persons taste. I play CSGO all the time and my headphone's have always gave me great accuracy, I'm currently supreme and there's a limit to what the game will let you hear anyway.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

It may have a better sound stage but game engines suck anyway, I would just personally look at what sound signature is better suited to the persons taste.

Fair enough.

^^^^^^

Yeah, i recomended that durring the inital wave of M50x recomendations.

So many m50x recomendations :(

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Why does the audio section keep attracting people who know absolutely nothing?

ath m50x

@TumbleButt!!!

Sennhieser 598's. IMO, sweet spot for price/performance for gaming. Especially if you value being able to have directional sense.  Mind you they are open, so you need to game in a quiet room otherwise you will get external noise bleeding in.  Here is a pretty honest and accurate review:

How can it be a sweet spot when the 558 is the exact same headphone for less money?

@TumbleButt!!!

How can it be a sweet spot when the 558 is the exact same headphone for less money?

Uhm... yeah, I was here... and I did send them lemons this time... instead of dick pics.

@TumbleButt!!!

Yeah @TumbleButt has been replaced by @lemoncheeck after a dick pic incident

Oh because the 598 will match your noctua fans.

It's the 558 noctua eddition

No regrets xDDD

I'm surprised that's allowed.

yeah they are all like the same... 518 is tiny bit different

post-53826-0-03404300-1440287247.png

But its just 518, 558. and 558 noctua eddition (598)

So you can pay more to make you headphones match your noctuas.

what?

OP asks for recommendtaions I say a headphone.... its how it works

Well you are suposed to say a headphone that is good for the price and good for the op's uses.