-Thoughts on- New OnePlus 2 2016 Flagship Killer

So today the specs the new OnePlus 2 was released, and I personally find it pretty cool, but what do you guys think of it? (Please be nice since this is my first real forum post :)  )

post-29121-0-16776300-1438084401.png

post-29121-0-92507800-1438084407.png

Basic Parameters:
Color: Sandstone Black
Dimensions: 151.8 x 74.9 x 9.85 mm
Weight: 6.17 ounces (175 g)
Operating System: OxygenOS based on Android 5.1
CPU: 64-bit Qualcomm© Snapdragon™ 810 processor with 1.8GHz Octa-core CPUs
GPU: Adreno™ 430
RAM: 4 GB/3 GB LPDDR4
Storage: 64 GB/16 GB eMMC v5.0 (available capacity varies)
Sensors: Fingerprint, Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Proximity and Ambient Light
Battery: Embedded rechargeable 3,300 mAh LiPo battery
Max. SAR: Head: 0.795 W/kg, Body: 1.447 W/kg

Connectivity:
Connectivity: GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900MHz
WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/4/5/8
FDD-LTE: Bands: 1/2/4/5/7/8/12/17
Wi-Fi: Dual-band Wi-Fi: 2.4GHz 802.11b/g/n and 5GHz 802.11a/n/ac
Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.1
Positioning: Internal GPS antenna + GLONASS + Digital Compass
Audio
Speakers: Bottom-facing speaker
Microphones: Dual-microphone with noise cancellation

Camera:
Sensor: 13 Megapixel (1.3um)
Lenses: 6 lenses to avoid distortion and color aberration
OIS: Yes
Laser Focus: Yes
Flash: Dual-LED
Aperture: f/2.0
Front Camera: 5 Megapixel - Distortion free
Video: 4K resolution video, Slow Motion: 720p video at 120fps

Multimedia:
Audio Supported Formats: Playback: MP3, AAC, AAC+, WMA (v9 and v10), AMR-NB, AMR-WB, WAV, FLAC, WAV, OGG
Recording: WAV AAC AMR EVRC QCELP
Video Supported Formats: Playback: HEVC (H.265), H.264, MPEG-4, DivX, Xvid, MPEG-2, MP4, MOV, 3GP, AVI, MKV, ASF
Recording: AVC
Image Supported Formats: Playback: JPEG, PNG, BMP, GIF
Output: JPEG

Display:
Size: 5.5 inch
Resolution: 1080p Full HD (1920 x 1080 pixels), 401 PPI
Type: LCD In-cell
Protection: Corning© Gorilla© Glass

Ports, Slots, Buttons & Indicators:
Ports: Data & Charging: USB Type-C 
Audio: Jack 3.5mm
Buttons: Power Button, Volume Rockers, Alert Slider, Capacitive / On-screen buttons
SIM: 2 slots - Nano SIM (DSDS) 
Indicators: 1 LED notification light (multicolored)

If you liked the post just a little feel free to vote for me: http://wshe.es/3DTDXhyO   :P  :)

post-29121-0-16776300-1438084401.png

post-29121-0-92507800-1438084407.png

It looks awesome, but the invite system doesn't...

I hope it's cheap,

been waiting for the phone, but can't afford 500+€ for it

And the stupid invite system kills the deal,

I hope they put it on flash sale for non invites from time to time

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

Snapdragon 810 and an invite system. No thanks. Less than $400 or not, if you're going to shoot yourself in the foot don't bother in the first place.

EDIT: Marius reminded me of these

No SD Slot

Wireless charging and NFC would've been nice to have.

Was excited, not anymore

NO QUICKCHARGE!

No SDcard

No Front facing speakers

No NFC

No Wireless charging

Network/Homelab build log Main PC: "Aqua Blue"  Server: 15TB+ "Blue Lightning"

3900x, 32GB RAM @3200mhz, RTX 3090, 2.5TB+ SSD Storage, 4x2560x1440 monitors

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, +2x Note 9

Whats the invite system?

I have an i5 and many other things

Was excited, not anymore

NO QUICKCHARGE!

No SDcard

No Front facing speakers

No NFC

No Wireless charging

Not everyone needs those things, the only two (pun unintended) of those I'd "need", is the wireless charging, and NFC.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Was hoping they upgraded the res to the current specifications found on android phones these days, and the invite system is...bollocks...

MKBHD first impressions: 

I really think it's a great buy, but most people don't seem to agree

The invite system is horrible, but OnePlus has stated that they cannot keep up with the demand with their current company size

But if they grow into a larger company I hope they solve it at once as many people are looking to buy it and can't do so because of an invite system

Whats the invite system?

You can only buy if you get an invite from a friend or giveaway, but they also have promos that allow you to get it without invites (I think)

Not everyone needs those things, the only two (pun unintended) of those I'd "need", is the wireless charging, and NFC.

The quickcharge is what killed it for me, idc about the others that much tbh

The quickcharge is what killed it for me, idc about the others that much tbh

The quickcharge won't really be that necessary unless you don't go home and charge your phone overnight that often

OnePlus is known for their great battery life, but it would definitely be a nice addition if it had quickcharge especially on road trips 

The quickcharge won't really be that necessary unless you don't go home and charge your phone overnight that often

OnePlus is known for their great battery life, but it would definitely be a nice addition if it had quickcharge especially on road trips 

Roadtrips, airports, when u forget to charge, it is a lot of situations where I'd at least like to have the option

You're kidding me, right?

The ability to charge a decent amount in a short period of time is potentially the future of batteries. 

If we can't (in the near future) figure a way to store a larger capacity in a smaller space, then at least develop a way to charge more, in less time. 

There are plenty of times where my battery is really low, and I throw it on the charger for 15 minutes (because I'm leaving the house) and it's charged enough for me to still be able to use it.

snip

The thing is you won't charge the OnePlus as often

I'm not sure if you have one but it does have one of the longest out there

I do have to agree that it's useful but with the current production rate of OnePlus with their company size it won't happen with this phone

I do hope that they improve the next phone and it will contain all the missing extra features 

MotoX has been announced: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/417205-find-your-perfect-moto-match/

I think people make quickcharge seem like a bigger deal than it really is, you'll similar results when using a simple 2.1A charger tbh.

You can only buy if you get an invite from a friend or giveaway, but they also have promos that allow you to get it without invites (I think)

There are more ways to get it now. You can get put on a list and they'll give you an invite as they become available.

Was hoping they upgraded the res to the current specifications found on android phones these days, and the invite system is...bollocks...

Oh yea, let's upgrade the resolution to something absolutely overkill and unnecessary just for e-peen while at the same time killing battery life.

Also the invite system really isn't that bad. If you want the phone, you basically just have to ask at this point.

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

It's a nice little phone for the price, but I think calling it a "2016 flagship killer" is a stretch.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

There are more ways to get it now. You can get put on a list and they'll give you an invite as they become available.

Oh yea, let's upgrade the resolution to something absolutely overkill and unnecessary just for e-peen while at the same time killing battery life.

Also the invite system really isn't that bad. If you want the phone, you basically just have to ask at this point.

Although it might be unnecessary, it allows them to compete with top manufacturers, enhance competition even more but I guess it may raise the final price of the device and totally go against what the company is offering which is a bang for the buck device. 

Heyyo,

I'm very impressed with the OnePlus 2. Plus? The invite system is better meow. No longer are you forced to just beg for invites or win them or pay money for invites... now? You can enter your email into a waiting queue and when it's your turn? You have 24 hours to buy a device or your invite gets skipped to the next person in the queue. A very fair setup I say. It's one thing to just plop your name in a list... but to actually purchase the device? That's a different deal altogether.

So far? There's over 500,000 with their emails in the queue to get an invite. That's a lot considering the OnePlus One sold I think 1.5 million devices over its one year and a bit lifespan so far. Will all 500,000 emails in the queue buy the device? I doubt it. This system is also fair in the sense that it'll prevent people from selling invite codes for $20... well, hopefully prevent them anyways lol.

https://oneplus.net/invites

I think people make quickcharge seem like a bigger deal than it really is, you'll similar results when using a simple 2.1A charger tbh.

Indeed. Yeah, it does work. But the battery on this is pretty huge so it's not nearly as big of an issue as the Galaxy S6. :P

Besides, this is LTT! Linus! Give your knowledge to this thread! ;)

It's a nice little phone for the price, but I think calling it a "2016 flagship killer" is a stretch.

Both are true. It's a fantastic device no doubt... but by 2016 I'm sure OnePlus will put out an even better device... maybe front facing speakers? pl0x? :P

Who knows? Maybe next year the OnePlus 3 could have a deca core SoC!? So much battery savings! Just like a pickup truck, throw more gears into your transmission and you get better fuel economy at different speeds.

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

It seems to be a good phone but then again it will charge much slower than Adaptive Fast Charging and Usb type-c imcompatibility with Quick Charging 2.0 phones, thus it still packs a Full Hd display to compensate for the Snapdragon 810 heat output, and the way things are going by 2016 we should see UHD phones so 1 year ahead flagship killer is just.. not gonna happen. I would like to see one in front of me just to compare it to the world leading displays which are Retina HD, Quantum Ips and the allmighty Super Amoled. Honestly the OnePlus 2 Kevlar would be an absolutely fantastic device to hold. And the rosewood O-O is just marvelous alongside Bamboo. DAMN I WANT AN INVITATION xD!

Groomlake Authority

Although it might be unnecessary, it allows them to compete with top manufacturers, enhance competition even more but I guess it may raise the final price of the device and totally go against what the company is offering which is a bang for the buck device. 

What do you mean compete with top manufacturers? Most people don't care about the screen resolution. If they can't see the pixels, they don't care. And guess what, on a 1080p 5.5" screen you can't see the pixels.

Also you're missing the most important part, 2.5k screens are way less bright, and suck way more power. It's not worth it, ever.

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

What do you mean compete with top manufacturers? Most people don't care about the screen resolution. If they can't see the pixels, they don't care. And guess what, on a 1080p 5.5" screen you can't see the pixels.

Also you're missing the most important part, 2.5k screens are way less bright, and suck way more power. It's not worth it, ever.

Actually I know a fair handful that do, but to the manufacturers e.g. samsung and LG, 2.5K screens are what the consumer market apparently wants, hence the offerings on their device, its a way of attracting more customers, battery life will forever remain an issue as more hardware that requires lots of power is crammed into small devices.