Gaming on SSD vs HDD?

Erfurt
Go to solution Solved by Dzzope,

Basically load times... In games with large world environments that load as you travel through them, it can make a difference in game but otherwise it's just game and level load times.

Hey guys

I was just wondering, what is the difference between gaming on a SSD and a HDD, I have looked at some FPS charts, that showed little to no difference. So I was wondering if there is any advantages at all to use one or the other for gaming? I know that for programs and OS SSD's are way faster than HDD's, so I would think that there might be a difference in loading the games, but otherwise no difference at all.

I would much appreciate some of your experiences, and if you could link me either some youtube links or some links to reviews that talks about this, so I can get a  better understanding of when to use SSD's or HDD's :)

In advance thanks for your time and help

Erfurt

My setup: i5 3570K  - Corsair H100i - MSI Z77 GD65 - 256 GB Samsung 840 pro SSD - Corsair AX760i - Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 2GB - 4x4 GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RAM - Corsair Carbide 500R (modded side window)

You have a lot less time spent in loading screens, but no other benefit what so ever.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Hey guys

I was just wondering, what is the difference between gaming on a SSD and a HDD, I have looked at some FPS charts, that showed little to no difference. So I was wondering if there is any advantages at all to use one or the other for gaming? I know that for programs and OS SSD's are way faster than HDD's, so I would think that there might be a difference in loading the games, but otherwise no difference at all.

I would much appreciate some of your experiences, and if you could link me either some youtube links or some links to reviews that talks about this, so I can get a  better understanding of when to use SSD's or HDD's :)

In advance thanks for your time and help

Erfurt

only loading times 

Basically load times... In games with large world environments that load as you travel through them, it can make a difference in game but otherwise it's just game and level load times.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

-snip-

No (noticeable) fps difference.

Load screens are just a lot shorter with SSD's.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

The only known games that can benefit from SSD beside improving loading times.

In these games SSD will drasticaly reduce stuttering (FPS will be unchanged):
Arma 2, Arma 3, DayZ.

Also if the HDD bottleneckts the map loading ( it does with mine when in GTA ) it actually increases performance.

SSD'z! They are way more snappier for for startin' up games and are much more reliable for game saves!

SNIP

No difference for FPS, only really useful for games with long loading times, very few games benefit, Battlefield and GTA V are the main ones

SSD'z for Dayz! They are way more reliable for data recovery!

They are worse for data recovery, if an SSD dies, say goodbye to your data, at least a HDD platter can be transferred etc 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Besides the games listed above total war series and other turn based ganes are very much worth a ssd. Other than that hards are here stay for bit longer general consumer wise.

They are worse for data recovery, if an SSD dies, say goodbye to your data, at least a HDD platter can be transferred etc 

But some SSD's also have platters.

Ones that doesn't exit that is.

Hi there @Erfurt!

I agree with the others - the difference and the only benefit from running a game from the SSD is the faster loading times which occurs because the data transfer speed of a SSD is higher than that of a HDD (for instance for open world games and such that have to load often and load in objects, etc.). However, gaming from the solid state will not affect your FPS since your GPU and CPU will have the major role there, and upgrading to an SSD will not make that much of a difference in the general performance (except for the mentioned loading times).

Hope this helps and cheers! :)

If this post helped you, please like and choose it as a best answer.   :)
http://www.wdc.com/en/

I usually put games with lots of load screens on my SSD, for example I have WoW on my SSD. Games like BF4/BF3 that can take forever to load the map off an HDD i move to my SSD. Its really just whether or not you care about fast load times in your games or if you dont mind waiting a bit longer.

i7 4790K @4.7GHz; MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition; Klevv Neo 4x4Gb 2400Mhz; PNY GeForce GTX 980; Crucial M500 240GB SSD; Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD; Corsair RM750; NZXT Kraken X61