A revolution in mid-tower cases - the Defcon One

Yup, indeed so ;) we wanted to make sure they stayed cool but well showcased :)

Uhm, makes sense - we'll take it into consideration :)

Just a suggestion, some people, like myself, aren't above putting fans on the outside of a case, so some slightly larger holes around the venting, to allow for fan mounting, would be awesome.

(I have two Noctua 140mm fans mounted on the outside of my Air 540, at the top of my case, to pull air through the rad, because I couldn't fit the rad and push/pull fans on the inside because of mobo clearance issues.)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Hi Nicola,

Since I've a graphics card with "custom" design and not the "reference" which should blow out all the hot air from rear side, I'm little bit worried about the temperature that my graphics card could reach. In fact I've test my graphics card and the hot air goes in all directions, and not only backwards like the reference blow design.

For that reason I would be more secure if there will be an optional mounting for a front fan thats helps to restore the "normal" Front=>Back airflow, or the "extraction" of the hot air from the graphics card compartment. however I love the DefconOne and probably I'll buy one as soon as I can!

Thanks Nicola!

Don't worry about that - if you take a close look at renders there is a dedicated grid in the front of the case structure - this functions as both air exhaust for the custom-style GPUs can both exit and be slowed down.

Bottom line, there is no hot air stagnating anywhere in the case, especially not on the GPUs, which get fresh air from the side panel and then kick the hot one out from the back an front behind the cover panel.

This part is the visually covered by the front cover (you can see how it is accomplished in the renders) :)

If you like the project help us get it funded so that we can move into the production phase :D

Just a suggestion, some people, like myself, aren't above putting fans on the outside of a case, so some slightly larger holes around the venting, to allow for fan mounting, would be awesome.

(I have two Noctua 140mm fans mounted on the outside of my Air 540, at the top of my case, to pull air through the rad, because I couldn't fit the rad and push/pull fans on the inside because of mobo clearance issues.)

We could certain look into that if we can get the prototypes funded and be able to test them - I don't think it would be much of a problem putting a 140mm fan in above the rad.

Again, all of this we'll be able to do if we get it funded :)

Intel Core i7 4790KK @4.2Ghz; AsRock Z97M OC Formula; HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3 @1866; Zotac GTX970 @1532; 7510; Defcon One Final prototype; 2x 2TB seagate HDD,1 x Kingston HyperX Fury 120GB SSD1x Kingston SSD now V300 240GB; Corsair CX600M; 2x LG full HD 21.5"; Seidon 120V with Jetflow 120mm fan; CM Devastator; A4 Tech Bloody V2M Sanguinante2.1 Trust surround; Win 10 Pro 64 bit

That's a pretty sexy case. Wonder when Thermaltake's one comes out. 

LMAO!!! I couldn't stop laughing when I read this.

Those temps aren't bed, but what about the motherboard and internal case temps?

I don't remember the MB temps, but as all the case is from aluminum, the back panel dissipates part of the MB heat. They aren't that high.

About internal case temps there's only one hot spot, the front top (back side of the PSU), but you can only find cables there, so it's not a critical place. Another tweak would be to put more holes in both panels, a second line in the lateral of the back panel, and two lines in the top and bottom of both.

Anyway, even with all the tweaks, it's still not a cooling genius, but I find it sufficient, specially for my toasty pc (what it would be with the new i7 5775c and a gtx 970 xD).

Build: CPU: Intel i5 4690k OC = 4.4Ghz | GPU: Gigabyte R9 285 OC = 1100/1575MHz | MB: MSI Z97M Gaming | RAM: Corsair 8GB 2133MHz CL9 | Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Silent 14 | CaseCooltek U3 | PSU: Corsair RM550 | MonitorDell UltraSharp 2414h | Keyboard: Steelseries 6gv2 | Mouse: Corsair M95

FireStrike score = 7803. Graphic score = 9363 (record single r9 285).

That looks so cool. :D

Thank you man! contribute and/or spread the word about it to help us get the project funded! :D

I don't remember the MB temps, but as all the case is from aluminum, the back panel dissipates part of the MB heat. They aren't that high.

About internal case temps there's only one hot spot, the front top (back side of the PSU), but you can only find cables there, so it's not a critical place. Another tweak would be to put more holes in both panels, a second line in the lateral of the back panel, and two lines in the top and bottom of both.

Anyway, even with all the tweaks, it's still not a cooling genius, but I find it sufficient, specially with my toasty pc (what it would be with the new i5 5775c and a gtx 970 xD).

Btw, do you already know the total dimensions of the case? I've read all the italian posts and I cannot find them.

Well, as long as it works fine and doesn't overheat sounds all good :)

Yup, the final dimensions (those that will be in the prototype) are 340x380x173mm .

Intel Core i7 4790KK @4.2Ghz; AsRock Z97M OC Formula; HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3 @1866; Zotac GTX970 @1532; 7510; Defcon One Final prototype; 2x 2TB seagate HDD,1 x Kingston HyperX Fury 120GB SSD1x Kingston SSD now V300 240GB; Corsair CX600M; 2x LG full HD 21.5"; Seidon 120V with Jetflow 120mm fan; CM Devastator; A4 Tech Bloody V2M Sanguinante2.1 Trust surround; Win 10 Pro 64 bit

I am a fan. It's nice. My builds will probably stay in the realm of ATX though. I can see swapping to an MATX down the line.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Thank you man! contribute and/or spread the word about it to help us get the project funded! :D

I didn't know this was your project. I will share it on.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

Code of Conduct ■ Suggestions ■ Report a Bug ■ FAQ with Windspeed36 ■ Useful Links ■ Memes

I am a fan. It's nice. My builds will probably stay in the realm of ATX though. I can see swapping to an MATX down the line.

To each their own! We did choose to keet to M-ATX to make it as small as possible but still keep the dual-GPU config - there are some great M-ATX builds out there :)

if you want to still give us a hand, get the word out about the crowdfuning! :)

I didn't know this was your project. I will share it on.

Yup, trying to get it as much visibility as possible - and thank you for the support! :)

To each their own! We did choose to keet to M-ATX to make it as small as possible but still keep the dual-GPU config - there are some great M-ATX builds out there :)

if you want to still give us a hand, get the word out about the crowdfuning! :)

I was thinking of going to MATX already, because really, I don't see the need of having a full ATX system.

If/when I build an Matx system this case would definitely be in consideration.

My only concern would be storage limitations (hard drive/ssd wise).

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I was thinking of going to MATX already, because really, I don't see the need of having a full ATX system.

If/when I build an Matx system this case would definitely be in consideration.

My only concern would be storage limitations (hard drive/ssd wise).

We did try to give it as much storage as possible without complications - you fit x2 3.5" HDDs and 2x 2.5" drives in there - not aNAS but still not bad considering modern HDD size :)

We'll be able to get it into production if this campaign goes well, so if you like the project give a hand funding it either by contributing or by spreading the word, or both! :)

Looks good but I don't think they'll be very successful.

Why's that? your feedbak may help fix the flaws it has we did not see :)

That case looks so nice  :wub:

Great to hear! with your help we can take it to the next stage of development! :D

Why's that? your feedbak may help fix the flaws it has we did not see smile.png

Don't get me wrong the case itself is absolutely beautiful and what you're doing is incredible however the way the market is going right now it's more style over function. A very simple and professional design can last forever and not go out of style, that's what the market is aimed at right now.

Don't get me wrong the case itself is absolutely beautiful and what you're doing is incredible however the way the market is going right now it's more style over function. A very simple and professional design can last forever and not go out of style, that's what the market is aimed at right now.

uhm, I see what you're saying, but do you think the case is over-designed? tried to keep the lines as clean as possible and allowing to see both sides of the case and all of the componets seems like a good style touch...

What would you say is off here? (just gathering feedback :) )

How much radiator space? Would look sweet with 2 watercooled gpus.

Perhaps straight lines on the sir vents ontop instead of it being angled but that's only my preference.

thanks for the feedback - we might try and make a straight line top and see how it fits with the rest :) 

Since I seem to recall you said you like the case itself, could you give us a hand by spreading the word around? :)

How much radiator space? Would look sweet with 2 watercooled gpus.

This model only supports a single 120mm radiator - size bound design did not allow for additional radiator space (we already enlarged it relative to the mark II design).

We will try to implement a second 240mm in single GPU config, but we need to make the prototypes for that to happen :)

This model only supports a single 120mm radiator - size bound design did not allow for additional radiator space (we already enlarged it relative to the mark II design).

We will try to implement a second 240mm in single GPU config, but we need to make the prototypes for that to happen :)

Id probably say to go back to the drawing boards.

With aio gpus on the horizon aka amd fury people are going to look for more than 1x 120 radiator spot.

Even extend the length of the case a couple inches to accommodate a 240mm rad or 2x 120 rads at the front.

To me, not doing so would cut you away from a potential market

That looks very cool! 

Thank you man! Give us a hand by sharing the project and/or contributing if you can! :)

Id probably say to go back to the drawing boards.

With aio gpus on the horizon aka amd fury people are going to look for more than 1x 120 radiator spot.

Even extend the length of the case a couple inches to accommodate a 240mm rad or 2x 120 rads at the front.

To me, not doing so would cut you away from a potential market

We did consider it and had plans to implement a 240mm rad in single GPU configuration - however without making the case bigger, that solution would have suffered from reduced airflow;

That being said, when we can build the prototypes, we'll run some tests and see if there is a way to implement it efficiently :)

Thank you man! Give us a hand by sharing the project and/or contributing if you can! :)

Me and people from Tek Syndicate have this question that is, how are you going to handle the heat issue on the graphics card side?

The airflow look extremely restricted, will there be extra space to handle a 2.5 slot graphics card without choking them?

Other concern is that the heat output of the cards may melt the side window.