Are the people at HP high....?

Luke

The truth is HP are cutting corners, they are selling these poorly built computers for more than they are worth and they ripping off the average consumer who doesn't know better. 

Carey is building computers and selling them for more than they're worth.  He's taking advantage of customers that can't/don't want to do it themselves, or don't know anything about components (aka, don't know any better).

He buys decent parts, but he sells them for more than he paid for the combination of the components.  

(That sounds pretty idiotic doesn't it?)

Carey is building computers and selling them for more than they're worth.  He's taking advantage of customers that can't/don't want to do it themselves, or don't know anything about components (aka, don't know any better).

He buys decent parts, but he sells them for more than he paid for the combination of the components.  

So in other words he shouldn't get paid for the cost of labour? That is not how you do business.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

So in other words he shouldn't get paid for the cost of labour? That is not how you do business.

Exactly.  

Why can Carey make profit but no one else?  You and @mdnorman38 are pretty naive if you think that selling a computer for "more than it's worth" is bad business and taking advantage of customers.  You can't have it both ways.  Either both are wrong for making a profit, or neither are.  C'mon.  Get a clue.  

Exactly.  

Why can Carey make profit but no one else?  You and @mdnorman38 are pretty naive if you think that selling a computer for "more than it's worth" is bad business and taking advantage of customers.  You can't have it both ways.  Either both are wrong for making a profit, or neither are.  C'mon.  Get a clue.  

You haven't being paying attention to what is being said at all. And naivety is thinking that someone shouldn't be paid for building a computer which is what you were saying by this 'Carey is building computers and selling them for more than they're worth.  He's taking advantage of customers that can't/don't want to do it themselves, or don't know anything about components (aka, don't know any better).'    HP charges more for less and is taking advantage of the fact that people who aren't tech minded don't actually know what a good computer is (quad core with no reference to speed, 64 bit performance etc), considering its very easy to ask someone to build a computer for you that's better than something HP offers and actually get what you truly paid for. I know for a fact that by going to a local computer shop and actually having one built (it had been 12 years since I'd actually last looked at or even bought the latest and greatest parts) and I ended up with a computer that was over twice the value of the pre-build Dell's and HP's I saw in stores such as Harvey Norman, the Good Guys and Officeworks for the same or a higher price ($1000+). I have personally seen how much people are getting ripped off. Getting someone such as Carey to build a computer would give someone the best that they can afford, which is not what a pre-built is. Making money is all well and good, but not when customers are getting screwed.

PMSL

On to the layout of the case... Tell me people what does heat do? it rises very good.

Wheres the PSU.... At the op of the case sucking in air and pushing it in to the case.

Power supply fans are intakes so it's taking air at the top of the case and blowing it out the back.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

You haven't being paying attention to what is being said at all. 

And you've completely lost touch with reality. 

HP charges more for less and is taking advantage of the fact that people who aren't tech minded don't actually know what a good computer is....     .....Getting someone such as Carey to build a computer would give someone the best that they can afford, which is not what a pre-built is. Making money is all well and good, but not when customers are getting screwed.

This opinion, one from some one that can't see the forest from the trees, is duly noted. 

And you've completely lost touch with reality. 

This opinion, one from some one that can't see the forest from the trees, is duly noted. 

HP Pavilion:

i5 4440

4GB DDR3

Intel HD Graphics

500GB HDD

Windows 7 Home Premium

=$1099.99

The rig I had built:

i5 4440

GTX 650TI OC 2GB

8GB DDR3

1TB WD Blue

Win 7 Home Premium

TP link PCIe wireless N card

Apacer all in 1 card reader

=$1195.95

That's what I'm trying to put across. how many people got ripped off by HP last year when they bought one of those. This is why I say that people get screwed over by HP, and why getting someone to build a computer is the best option for those lookingtobuy a new computer. Unfortunately not enough people know that or HP would have pulled their head in by now.

PMSL

Oh, oh. Their gaming desktop line, the Envy Phoenix, is a great one. i7-4790 (up to a 4820K) and a GTX 745.

An i7 and a GTX 745. $1300. Or you can build your own and get a 4690K and GTX 970 for $1130 (going by Logical Increments).

Oh, oh. Their gaming desktop line, the Envy Phoenix, is a great one. i7-4790 (up to a 4820K) and a GTX 745.

An i7 and a GTX 745. $1300. Or you can build your own and get a 4690K and GTX 970 for $1130 (going by Logical Increments).

@watts300 doesn't seem to understand that.

PMSL

I think they also offer liquid cooling with their top-end Envy Phoenix.

I don't think I'd try overclocking with an HP mobo or power supply. I don't even believe it's modular (and if it is it's probably a proprietary design, with proprietary cables and proprietary connectors that are proprietary).

I think they also offer liquid cooling with their top-end Envy Phoenix.

I don't think I'd try overclocking with an HP mobo or power supply. I don't even believe it's modular (and if it is it's probably a proprietary design, with proprietary cables and proprietary connectors that are proprietary).

More than likely, it would explode.

PMSL

More than likely, it would explode.

Yeah, probably.

And I looked, you can buy it with a 4960X and a GTX 770. Not like that makes it any more balanced, that's a $1000 CPU with a $400 GPU. Ew, no.

You didn't make a direct comparison.  You compared what you built at-cost to what a company built with profit in mind. 

Why is this such a complicated concept for you?  If some one builds something and then sells it, its price is going to be higher.  That's the way it is with anything in the world you live... computers, go-carts, furniture, houses..  it all costs more when some one else does the work.  

One day you'll realize that, but clearly not today. 

You didn't make a direct comparison.  You compared what you built at-cost to what a company built with profit in mind. 

Why is this such a complicated concept for you?  If some one builds something and then sells it, its price is going to be higher.  That's the way it is with anything in the world you live... computers, go-carts, furniture, houses..  it all costs more when some one else does the work.  

One day you'll realize that, but clearly not today. 

I had that computer built for me at that cost- labour was included in the price. So again your defense for companies charging more than they should, taking into consideration cost of manufacturing, shipping and the cut of the profit the store gets, is baseless. Computer shops have the same overheads, and they don't need to screw a customer over to make a profit. HP does it because they've been able to get away with it for so long. I did a direct comparison between the product made by a small company, and a product of a similar price made by a significantly larger company. To re-iterate, both companies have profit in mind, or they wouldn't have been started in the first place.

PMSL

...companies charging more than they should...

...HP does it because they've been able to get away with it for so long. 

Well you know what they say about opinions?  They're like assholes. Every body has one. 

its easy to say that large computer companies HP, Dell, ect. make silly mistakes on their computers. My dad happens to be a VP of enterprise at HP and I can grantee u that the people at HP are not "high" Primarily my pap's. They are running a multi BILLION dollar company with hundreds of thousands of employees that's been around for OVER 80 YEARS.  I'm sure there is a valid business reason why this specific computer doesn't use the APU.  That specific computer is definitely geared towards the broke and ignorant, not evolved people we all are on the forum.

Consider this. The APU runs of the prossesor which, when used will turn out more heat.  HP possibly made a business descision to add a lower end dedicated card to prevent unstable temps.  (we all know the broke and ignorant do not clean the dust out of their computers)

Power supply fans are intakes so it's taking air at the top of the case and blowing it out the back.

I have tested it and it sucks air in from out side the case at the back at the top of the case and blows it in side, i pulled the PSU apart and switched the fan around and it actually lowered the adv temp of the case by 5c

Desktop: CPU: I7-5820K GPU: 980Ti, 750Ti PhysX Mobo: MSI X99A SLI PLUS RAM: 4x4 Kingston DDR4 2400MHz OS: Win10
Storage: 250GB Samsung Evo, 3TB WD Black and Green FIRESTRIKE, Reason for dedicated PhysX Card.

Peripherals: Screen: 3x BenQ VZ2350 Mouse: Razer Naga Keyboard: Some Dell Thing Sound: Razer Tiamat, 5.1 Logitech Surround Speakers

Just going to leave this here...

ac67b1bd-9421-486d-8e66-9e9bb67fbfbc.jpg

yeah, those are both passive.

I've always wondered this: Why aren't shitty consumer grade towers SFF? Especially that one. I mean there's no purpose in having such a huge case, if there's no expansion or internal PSU, and the CPU doesn't kick out much heat... Make it smaller, everyone saves a little money and average joes don't have to have this enormous thing under the desk

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Exactly.  

Well buying stock at a lower price and selling it at a higher price is how every trading business works. Carey only charges for labor when he builds a computer, most of his customers are small businesses, I can't remember exactly how much he charges but it is some between $50-100, and that includes tech support and he also goes to business and sets up the computers. With HP they are able to buy and produce components in quantities of thousands, which means many of their computers probably only cost a couple of hundred of dollars to make and yet they sell them at huge mark ups, for example with some of HP's computers they are charging almost $1000 for a computer with a GTX 745. No, making a profit is not against the law, but selling products at a value that is way higher than their worth is just bad business practices.

I've always wondered this: Why aren't shitty consumer grade towers SFF? Especially that one. I mean there's no purpose in having such a huge case, if there's no expansion or internal PSU, and the CPU doesn't kick out much heat... Make it smaller, everyone saves a little money and average joes don't have to have this enormous thing under the desk

Because da big case means it is da better one! /s 

Dell used to be the king of SFF prebuilts. I have like 3 of them from the pentium age.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I can understand why some people dislike his attitude and at times I can agree that he can be arrogant, but he does a good job in getting people interested in computers and computer building.

The point of Carey's video is to show people how poorly constructed and equipped these budget pre-builds are. He shows people that there are alternatives to buying these computers whether that be through building your own or buying from another brand. Sure, consumers don't necessarily care about what PSU or motherboard it uses when they buy it, but when these components fail later on consumers will really be questioning the quality of the computer. The truth is HP are cutting corners, they are selling these poorly built computers for more than they are worth and they ripping off the average consumer who doesn't know better. Carey spent his own money on that computer, not to just to bash it for self promotion, but to warn people to not spent their money on that kind of HP crap.  

No it's not, the point of these videos is to bolster careys viewership.  This computer is no more poorly constructed than any other computer at that price.   The only legitimate complaint he has (sata cable unplugged) is so unlikely it was probably a setup.  Find me a single other brand that cheap that is better constructed?  In fact try to build one just as cheap, I have yet to find anyone who can. These pc's are being sold in Australia with a 20" monitor for $398.  HP are not ripping the consumer blind with this computer.  Yes all prebuilts have a premium price tag, but that is because someone else put them together and someone else is guaranteeing them.     Carey is quite simply making issues where there are none.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

No it's not, the point of these videos is to bolster careys viewership.  This computer is no more poorly constructed than any other computer at that price.   The only legitimate complaint he has (sata cable unplugged) is so unlikely it was probably a setup.  Find me a single other brand that cheap that is better constructed?  In fact try to build one just as cheap, I have yet to find anyone who can. These pc's are being sold in Australia with a 20" monitor for $398.  HP are not ripping the consumer blind with this computer.  Yes all prebuilts have a premium price tag, but that is because someone else put them together and someone else is guaranteeing them.     Carey is quite simply making issues where there are none.

Watch the second video.

PMSL

Watch the second video.

I have yet to see anyone build a complete pc for under 398 let alone a better one.  Does he do it in the video?   I ain't watching an arrogant prick for 40min only to find out it can only be done in US if you settle.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I have yet to see anyone build a complete pc for under 398 let alone a better one.  Does he do it in the video?   I ain't watching an arrogant prick for 40min only to find out it can only be done in US if you settle.

Here: 

Again:

PMSL