Why can't we ever have a giveaway for existing forum members

Aniallation

I agree it seems like the real forum members are lost among the 1 post wonders who seem to win every giveaway. By hosting a giveaway and requiring people to sign up to the forum, it doesn't increase active members, it just creates a bunch of accounts with barely any posts.

I agree it seems like the real forum members are lost among the 1 post wonders who seem to win every giveaway. By hosting a giveaway and requiring people to sign up to the forum, it doesn't increase active members, it just creates a bunch of accounts with barely any posts.

And why would you think that the objective is to get my people in the forums? The objective is to get more views, which translates into more money for LMG. The forum requirement it's just there so they can keep track of who really did subscribe and liked and shared. This is pretty simple, we have a community here but it's not really the focus, the fucking views are their focus, not the forums or any of you.

-------

Current Rig

-------

And why would you think that the objective is to get my people in the forums? The objective is to get more views, which translates into more money for LMG. The forum requirement it's just there so they can keep track of who really did subscribe and liked and shared. This is pretty simple, we have a community here but it's not really the focus, the fucking views are their focus, not the forums or any of you.

In a way that is true, but if they didn't care about growing the forum, wouldn't it be easier just do the giveaway it the YouTube comments?

If even 1% of the people that sign up stay on the forum and contribute that's still hundreds of new people. I joined for a giveaway and I liked what I saw so I stayed.

In a way that is true, but if they didn't care about growing the forum, wouldn't it be easier just do the giveaway it the YouTube comments?

No it wouldn't for technical reasons is much easier to keep track of it on the forums.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Not everyone has time to hang out on a forum all day.  I joined on a giveaway and have mostly only posted for giveaways, but i scroll through the forum and enjoy it.  I just never have enough time to read an entire post to feel confidant about not posting redundant information.  Can you imagine how annoying these threads would be if after the first two pages was nothing but the obvious posted by people whom didn't notice its been posted eighty times already.  

Top Hat=Classy Monocle=Villain  Top Hat+Monocle=Mr Peanut 

LTT could just ask viewers to post it on youtube comments

it will make things easier and fair for everyone without have to get sudden performance hits (slow forums/bot/multiple account)

I think I would agree for small giveaways like a single game but if you had a minimum post requirements, the amount of shitposting would increase dramatically.

This is true as well. The more you put the requirements on min posts, then people just post stupid stupid stuff all over. I've had to do that to use certain sites, and it's just silly.

I agree with the OP for a bit, and I with it were true that the LTT gang used their sluething techniques to see who actually contributes, and who's here to make the giveaways. Unfortunately there will always be those people, and if the site get's increased traffic, then it's going to generate some income, somehow which is also good. I do want them to get that generated income period, but I agree it sucks we don't have just forum giveaways.

Look, I'm sorry, I'm just pissed about the tons of people who make an account post once and then act like idiots doing it.

Oh shoot! Was that offensive! (I don't care).

I believe they have done this in the past

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

"the real fan base"

This is not what the people in charge of these things think.

So no.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

Since we are the real fan base, we watch almost all of linuses videos, shouldn't there be a giveaway just for us. I think it's unfair that anyone can just watch one of linuses videos, make an account, do one post, and then just wait and see if they win. Say what you think about it.

I find that it would be more than likely that a 1 post wonder could forget about the giveaway, considering half of them couldn't follow simple instructions 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I think the give away is great for getting more people on the forum but how many people will stay when the give away is over

The weird kid in the corner eating glue
“People think that I must be a very strange person. This is not correct. I have the heart of a small boy. It is in a glass jar on my desk.” - Stephen King

Since we are the real fan base, we watch almost all of linuses videos, shouldn't there be a giveaway just for us. I think it's unfair that anyone can just watch one of linuses videos, make an account, do one post, and then just wait and see if they win. Say what you think about it.

I still don't get why people think this. I use to watch all the videos and it took me a long time to join the forum. Members had this discussion before about "the real fan base". Just find it annoying now.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Just because we're on the forum doesn't mean we're more of a fan than other people. 

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

I have participated in several giveaways but I simply don't consider myself to be a social being, does this make me a non-fan? 

Posts like this just feel unwelcoming for newer users. 

Just because we're on the forum doesn't mean we're more of a fan than other people. 

^This. I remember watching Linus' videos since late 2009. When the forum first started in 2013, I lurked for 3 months before even signing up.

Sidenote @EarthboundHero look at our join dates hehe xD. Off by exactly one year wow.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

One can be a fan of Linus, watch every single video, and still not feel comfortable joining the forum for whatever reason. We shouldn't automatically assume these people are just flocking in for the prizes. Sure, they may sign up specifically for the prizes, but that doesn't mean they aren't part of the fanbase. I don't like this condescending approach.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

^This. I remember watching Linus' videos since late 2009. When the forum first started in 2013, I lurked for 3 months before even signing up.

Sidenote @EarthboundHero look at our join dates hehe xD. Off by exactly one year wow.

Nice, we both had forum anniversaries recently.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

I find that it would be more than likely that a 1 post wonder could forget about the giveaway, considering half of them couldn't follow simple instructions 

People Like us that actually use the forum are not gonna win a 1 post wonder is gonna win guaranteed 

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

People Like us that actually use the forum are not gonna win a 1 post wonder is gonna win guaranteed 

Yeah, but to tell people they won LMG sends them PM's on the forum. If a one-post wonder wins, it's likely that they'll never even know, and they'll re-draw.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Yeah, but to tell people they won LMG sends them PM's on the forum. If a one-post wonder wins, it's likely that they'll never even know, and they'll re-draw.

ohh yeah never thought about it. if someone wins linus' pc i hope they dont do something stupid like break it or sell it that is technically a museum piece for the technology world  

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

ohh yeah never thought about it. if someone wins linus' pc i hope they dont do something stupid like break it or sell it that is technically a museum piece for the technology world  

If someone wins it I hope they'd have the integrity to not accept it. I mean it was the first gift Linus got from his wife.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

sell It back to Linus

The weird kid in the corner eating glue
“People think that I must be a very strange person. This is not correct. I have the heart of a small boy. It is in a glass jar on my desk.” - Stephen King