Why can't we ever have a giveaway for existing forum members

Aniallation

If someone wins it I hope they'd have the integrity to not accept it. I mean it was the first gift Linus got from his wife.

what if his wife gave away her engagement ring that he got her

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

This has been discussed many times. The forum is used to ease the process of giveaways and encourage new people to join(yes we all know how well it works). Plus, anybody who watches Linus regularly or even has a sembelance of liking his content can be classified as a fan. They are as eligible to giveaways as regulars are. There is no real 'fan base'. Some people might like interacting using twitter or youtube.

We are all fans of Linus.

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

I have watched almost every Linus video since late 2012 (and a whole lot more from archives).  I subbed to this forum yesterday.  I am a "real fan" just like you, just with a shorter sub time.  If you want to differentiate based on sub length, then be my guest (totally objective measurement). But to quantify someone as a "real fan" based solely on how long they've been subbed to an ancillary media (this forum) seems too subjective for my tastes (which they clearly understand).

Case: HAF XBCPU: 4690kCPU Cooler: NH D15Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming 7 | RAM: Hyper X FuryVideo Card: G1 Gaming 970SSD: 850 EVO |  PSU: Supernova 550 G2 | 

There are people out there who have been watching, liking, supporting Linus much longer than anyone with 100 views...

I, for instance, have been watching linus and donating since he first started up LTT, but only started getting active in the past year Forum-wise...

Linus is based and support by his youtube audience, NOT the forum.

All of these posts about forum members being superior to youtube only viewers are bull and they need to stop;

Linus has his youtube audience to thank for his success, and that's what he is doing....

Current System Specs:

MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming     CPU: Intel i5 9600k      GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 ti FTW Ultra Silent    PSU: EVGA 750 G2 80+ gold

Ram:  16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200    Storage: 500 GB Samsung 970 EVO/ 4TB WD Blue Case: Corsair 275R-White

Look, I'm sorry, I'm just pissed about the tons of people who make an account post once and then act like idiots doing it.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMFG YOU'VE ONLY BEEN A MEMBER FOR A LITTLE MORE THAN A MONTH!>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This thread should be either deleted, or stickied as an example of hypocrisy...

Current System Specs:

MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming     CPU: Intel i5 9600k      GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 ti FTW Ultra Silent    PSU: EVGA 750 G2 80+ gold

Ram:  16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200    Storage: 500 GB Samsung 970 EVO/ 4TB WD Blue Case: Corsair 275R-White

ohh yeah never thought about it. if someone wins linus' pc i hope they dont do something stupid like break it or sell it that is technically a museum piece for the technology world  

Linus is awesome but i'm sure even HE wouldnt consider it museum piece

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

well the only thing really annoying is the new posts out of the subform/ post dedicated to the giveaway. new people coming in just means more people on the forum. wich is a good thing. ads are ads.

its a lot more fun to see someone with like 200+ posts win. because you know they are watching and really take part in the forum. but doesn't mean that the guy who's been watching since the bigening and just doesen't like forums should not win.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

• Member Since 09 Feb 2015

I don't think you have room to talk op.

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB

If someone wins it I hope they'd have the integrity to not accept it. I mean it was the first gift Linus got from his wife.

I have to sincerely disagree with you.  You're placing intrinsic value on someone else's sentimental value, then attaching the word "integrity" next to it.  That, sir/madam, is not at all fair.  If Linus has decided the sentimental value of the case in his build does not outweigh the intrinsic value of the 100K sub mark, then there is no disputing this by anyone.  Linus is the only person that can place value on something that has value only to him.  Therefore, if Linus is good giving it away then we should collectively be good to accept it as a genuine appreciation for helping him reach his goal.

Case: HAF XBCPU: 4690kCPU Cooler: NH D15Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming 7 | RAM: Hyper X FuryVideo Card: G1 Gaming 970SSD: 850 EVO |  PSU: Supernova 550 G2 | 

Nice, we both had forum anniversaries recently.

I'm coming up to my 2 Year Anniversary in 10 days, but unfortunately that also means I'll be leaving then, still sticking with that decision.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

People Like us that actually use the forum are not gonna win a 1 post wonder is gonna win guaranteed 

Who cares? Alot of people just watch the videos and support Linus (what a real fan does) but aren't comfortable being part of a forum (lets be honest, forums in general are pretty nasty places...)

Again, Linus is Linus because of his youtube fan base that watch his videos; not because of his forum.

Current System Specs:

Its bit silly and funny to see this kind of talk coming from member with under 200 posts and under 3 months of being forum member. Sure, you wouldn't know that we had huge argument (with participation by mods, Linus and Luke) when last big giveaway took place. How would you then limit this. By post count? What would define true fan...? Spamming like hell to get into 100 (Classifieds limit) or even more to get custom title (500)? Or making stupid jokes for likes? What about people who created account during first 2 months of forum but have just couple of posts? There are few of them, one being major contributor in terms of money.

E: Not to mention being without any marks of contribution like badges or monthly mark.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

...if it meant that much to him he wouldn't give it away, trust me ^^ if he does get to giving it away he'll do it gladly as a thank you to the community. Hardware gets old and replaced, even when it's a gift. It's completely normal. To him the community means more than a piece of hardware, and if the winner refuses I'd bet they would redraw.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

well i actuallly joined for a giveaway and then now look where i am... I just liked the forum

CPU: Intel i5-2400 Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz GPU: Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X Case Corsair Obsidian Series 350D PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Certified

...if it meant that much to him he wouldn't give it away, trust me ^^ if he does get to giving it away he'll do it gladly as a thank you to the community. Hardware gets old and replaced, even when it's a gift. It's completely normal. To him the community means more than a piece of hardware, and if the winner refuses I'd bet they would redraw.

It's the case that was given to him as a gift. Cases really don't get outdated, especially considering all the work he out into it.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

I don't know how to feel about one post wonders who leave after giveaway. My opinion is that the easiest solution (maybe?) would probably be to have some temporary site for big giveaways to separate forum and giveaway. I don't think that a lot of people will stay after the giveaway plus Linus encourages people to join the forum in almost every video so it's not like it's some underground thing that people doesn't know about. 

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

I don't know how to feel about one post wonders who leave after giveaway. My opinion is that the easiest solution (maybe?) would probably be to have some temporary site for big giveaways to separate forum and giveaway. I don't think that a lot of people will stay after the giveaway plus Linus encourages people to join the forum in almost every video so it's not like it's some underground thing that people doesn't know about. 

The problem I find with these big giveaway sites is that they always seem sketchy. Since it's on the forums it feels more fair in a way. 

Also I think one of the intentions is to lure in new members to the forums.

The problem I find with these big giveaway sites is that they always seem sketchy. Since it's on the forums it feels more fair in a way. 

Also I think one of the intentions is to lure in new members to the forums.

Yeah I get it, but knowing Linus the site would probably seem pretty professional. I am thinking some nice light site using Squarespace.

I also understand that he probably wants to lure in new people, but he mentions forum in almost every video so I would guess that people that are not interested in the forum only make the account for the giveaway and be done with it after that. Some small percentage will stay which is nice, but is it worth the spam and headaches for moderators ? I don't know.

I was just throwing out an idea, not telling anybody what to do. :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

my 5 minutes of thinking... I have been following Linus and his crew for a long time, just never intended any(this) forum. So I must be automatically thrown in a ''basket'' of ''1 post people wanting just giveaway prize''?

I think not... What if we could write comments down below video on YT in comments? - would that be better?

I think even though I joined a couple weeks ago, I would have needed 200+ posts to not be in that catergory..

and I definitely understand your point. I was mad I hadn't joined earlier because I grouped myself (having only posted about 15 times) into the "I just joined with no avatar to post some links I haven't watched on a site I don't care in hopes to win something I won't even use to it's full potential(other than selling the parts on ebay to people that will)"

I think even though I joined a couple weeks ago, I would have needed 200+ posts to not be in that catergory..

and I definitely understand your point. I was mad I hadn't joined earlier because I grouped myself (having only posted about 15 times) into the "I just joined with no avatar to post some links I haven't watched on a site I don't care in hopes to win something I won't even use to it's full potential(other than selling the parts on ebay to people that will)"

and by a couple weeks ago I mean March 16th  :wacko:

Well  it's like my carrier fee for mobile 4g network. Been using them as a "loyal" subscriber for years and still new people get tons of reductions for new phones, many more GB of data for network access and so on. Fact is that they only care about bringing new people in the network nothing more.

It's pretty much the same case here.. Spread the word, make the community larger this is the game here. Don't take it too much personal on the internet.

Maybe Linus can consider at some point to have some contests with prizes to users based on what they did here, but that's a different story.

I just want them to start selling the LinusTechTips lanyards!! 

I think the system is fine as it is. I wouldn't have joined the forums had it not been for a giveaway they had in the past.