New Platform Launch Feedback & FAQ

What is Vessel? Vessel is a low-priced ($2.99 USD per month) subscription service that provides early access to the web’s best short-format videos from many of its most creative storytellers and best video-based talent.

Correction: The uploader provides their existing platforms late access to the video. A better description of Vessel is "Pay to see the videos today, that you would've seen today if Vessel didn't exist, otherwise wait however long".

Does this mean that you won’t be putting your videos on YouTube or the free web? Our videos will continue to be on YouTube and the free web like they always have been. Vessel allows fans to support creators by subscribing to get early access to videos.

*to not get late access

Who is Vessel for? Vessel is for fans who want to get early access to videos from their favorite creators and support those creators by subscribing to Vessel and allowing creators to earn a lot more per view compared to the free web.

That's what Vessel is for: to allow creators to earn more per view. Nothing wrong with that in and of itself, stop sugar coating it. There is no benefit to the viewer - there is no early access. You've decided to start uploading videos LATE on YouTube so that you can advertise your videos here as early access. That's all this platform exists for, and that's a stupid angle.

Is putting videos behind a paywall anti-fan? We don't think so - ultimately, this enables creators to invest in making better and more ambitious content, which benefits every fan--even the ones who choose not to pay.

You are making free-viewers wait to watch the videos you would otherwise upload "on time", then charge people to watch them when they would've seen them anyways (if Vessel didn't exist) for "early access". That is very much anti-fan. But the concept of being able to do better content by having more money is nothing out of the ordinary.

What if I don’t have a credit card or find paying challenging? Vessel is committed to keeping the subscription price as low as possible, supplemented with light load of advertising. In addition, in celebration of their launch, they are giving away a full free year to fans who sign up during the first 72 hours of our launch. Use our referral link when you sign up,http://vessel.com/linustechtips, to help support the cause!

It's so awesome that we get to pay to watch videos that still have pre-roll commercials. Fortunately I haven't encountered one over 10 seconds long yet, but on YouTube I don't encounter them over 5 seconds since I can always skip it, although I often choose to watch the longer entertaining ones (such as Google's ads, DollarShaveClub, etc.)

Is Vessel a YouTube competitor? No. They’re each part of a much larger video ecosystem, and each of them offers a different way to help creators build their business. At the end of the day, they’re all interested in seeing that ecosystem thrive.

Nothing about Vessel is designed to help the 'ecosystem' thrive. It's designed to charge people for something they were already getting for free. As I've already said, "early videos" is really just videos. Were it not for Vessel, everyone would get those "early" videos.

Also their interface sucks.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

Video quality on vessel is wors than on Youtube, if the video quality on vessel stays  this bad then this platform is pointles to use, I prefer to wait a little longer for much beter quality on Youtube. Someon suggested patreon, I think that wuld be a better option. 

So that should tell you just how succulent of an offer Vessel made to LMG.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

There are definitely some technical deficiencies with the Vessel platofrm compared to even Youtube:

- Video appears to max out at 1080p at 4800kbps (if the page source is to be beleived) at 30fps, with no stream selection granularity

- No way to disable autoplay

- Vessel does not respond to middle-click correctly (will hijack the same tab to open links rather than opening a new tab as desired)

- No download copy (an expectation for any paid-for distribution platform) for offline/mobile viewing, particularly when this is so trivial with Youtube

- It appears that all LMG videos have been uploaded with (or autoconverted by Vessel with) TV levels rather than PC levels

Basically, apart from videos arriving earlier, Vessel is an inferior way to actually watch videos. Compared even to Youtube, which is hardly a shining bastion of usability.

Hi, I have already entred the giveaway, but it is international right?

I live in Australia

Thanks

Yes it is international!

Long time watcher first time poster (well second now I guess).

Firstly, I wouldnt pay for vessel and I probably wouldn't even give it a go if it wasnt for the 1 year free premium. I cant see myself using it very much but I will probably go there once a day to see what you guys have up. The reason being I usually watch YT from the couch or bedroom and both those places access YT through a console. When I'm at my computer I am usually gaming or watching twitch (which I can also do from a console). I do however watch just about every video put out by Linus Media Group as well as the live stream. There is just too much stuff these days that wants a subscription and sometimes it seems like money is going in a hundred directions. Even for a couple dollars a month I couldn't justify the price unless it was the only content I was watching.

I am a little bit torn on if I think this was a good idea or not but obviously you guys think its a good move so I really do hope it works out. It seems a little bit scary delaying content for YT and people may think there not getting the most upto date news/videos. Just make sure you keep a tight hold on YT incase Vessel goes south. Good luck, I look forward to more Linus media group content. 

Thanks for supporting!

They're working on expanding to other platforms, hope to have more info about that soon.

We're definitely still posting to YouTube. And timely releases (WAN Show, embargoes, event coverage) will still go up on YouTube at the same time as Vessel. We made it explicitly clear that this cannot limit important news reaching our audience that doesn't like the platform or doesn't want to pay for the subscription past the initial year.

Thanks!

I only have one concern so far - and that's resolution.

On Youtube & Twitch, we can chose a resolution that is high for us - but good enough to not lag due to slower speeds. My issue is that youtuber's slider of 140p -> 4k is a lot nicer than Vessel's "HD AUTO  ON" button. I'd like to dictate my own resolution, Youtube is a much larger company and therefore I feel their services are better, at least on the consumer side. I find HD AUTO to be too blurry and HD ON to just take forever to load.

Unless these are improved, I'm going to stick to waiting the big longer and watching Youtube instead. Not very ideal for someone who likes to keep up-to-date with the latest LTT videos.

7bxeGa7.png

I also am not interested in paying $3 a month to watch LTT, While I want to support LTT however much I can, this will not be the way I plan to do it. Not everyone is buying an Office365, FiveFour and every other LTT-endorsed monthly service.

Not a deal breaker, but at least for the consumer side, It's not exactly a good start. I'd of rather LTT went for a larger service, like Vimeo for example.

I don't mean to hate on this or anything, I'm sure you have good reasons for moving to vessel.

Definitely something we have made very clear to them. We need more and better resolution options.

We totally get it and we don't take it as hate! If you want to continue to watch on the free platform we will definitely still be posting everything to YouTube, we will still be releasing a video there every single day!

I like this idea, but what is the aim of Vessel? Is its aim to allow viewers to get closer to their favourite content producers by giving them access to videos before they are released and giving them extra content or is it trying to be a complete YouTube replacement?

First one. They have said explicitly that their goal is not to replace YouTube, just to add diversity to the marketplace and give the end user the choice of what platform they want to use.

well linus i hope u can answer me this

youtube has a option to set quality and together with an autoHD extension in chrome i can set it to 480P

this is where vessel sucks i cant do that my internet is not stable at all so it will think it can do HD then it cant so it has to buffer and will keep trying to switch to HD

this makes vessel useless for me i cant use it

Sorry to hear that :( Vessel has stated that they will be adding more quality options as they go and as they expand.

I dont think you guys realise how big of a deal it is to hold back content even if it is for only a couple days. I understand you will still be releasing content on YT daily but I don't think it makes a difference. Especially for reviews for items on release day (or close to). Coming in upto a week late is a big disadvantage. 

We have exceptions for embargo releases, event coverage, and news like WAN Show. Those content pieces will not be limited, and they will reach everyone at the same time on both platforms.

sup guys

first off, I'm cool with this whole vessel thing. it's a neat platform which has many benefits over YouTube.

only issues are:

• that I can't seem to find a Vessel Android app which is a nuisance as I watch the vast majority of my LTT content on my phone. Do you know if Vessel have plans to release an android app?
  • I'd really appreciate it if Vessel had more options for the quality of video streaming. Sometimes, like if I'm just watching the WAN show I'd prefer even lower quality to save on downloads and sometimes I want higher, all depending on what the particular content is. just having a toggle between "HD" and "auto" doesn't really cut it for me :/

(also your giveaway is insanely awesome! You'll hit 50,000 entries easy)

Anyways, you guys rock! keep it up!

and Linus, enjoy your holiday :)

Right on!

1. It isn't available yet, but it will be.

2. Definitely something we have brought up to them, and they say they are addressing it in the near future.

Haha you never know!

Thanks for the kind words.

I think that vessel is a great idea and all but I found it is really buggy and tacky. I play your videos and the audio plays multiples times or it loops or lags.

I'll pass this along. Can you PM me with the issue, as well as your browser and OS combo?

What if I already have a Vessel account? How can I get my first year free? I made it when Linus started talking about it to try it out, does this mean I'm going to miss out on m1 year free Vessel?

PM me with your account name and I'll pass it along - they should be able to hook you up with the free year.

This is actually the feedback thread - we're tracking giveaway entries in http://bit.ly/linusgiveawayso be sure you submit your entry over there!

The giveway its worldwide?

Yes!

Thank you Linus for reading this .

Vessel is nice and a better way to support people that make videos , but i'm gonna pay for it , it's design better get better . I have 3 complaints :

-Too much wasted space , there should be modes similar to youtube .

-What do yo mean HD on/off ? Where's the 360 ,480 , 720 , 1080 ?

- When you want to open in new tab videos by middle clicking them it counts as a click .

I don't know if you can communicate to them these issues , but you're surely in better contact with them than i am . 

Thanks again !

1. I'll pas that along

2. They're working on more quality options

3. Already have passed that feedback along, hoping they'll figure it out soon.

Definitely can!

Thanks for the feedback.

I think its awesome that you guys are branching out to other sites to host your content.

This question may have been asked before, so sorry if I am repeating a question, but I am in a hurry and do not have the time to read all 26 pages of questions.

I recently decided that I wanted to support LTT with more that just watching their ads, but I heard that you were looking into vessel and decided to wait to see what would be the best option to support you. After seeing the options for Vessel, I feel that I would rather donate $5 a month and have all $5 go to you over spending $3 a month and you only getting part of that donation through Vessel. The problem is that going the $5 donation a month route and supporting LTT directly through your website will put me at a disadvantage to the people who donate $3 a month because they would get the videos a week earlier than me. I feel that supporting you directly would be the best option because more of my money would go directly to you, but I do not feel that would be in my best interest because I would not be getting the videos a week early. 

Main Rig

{
Intel Core i7 4770k, MSI Gaming z87-g45, EVGA GTX 770 dual SLI,  ARC Midi R2 , 16GB Crucial Ballistix, 256Gb SSD, 4TB HDD}

Peripherals

{
Keyboard: Razer Black Widow      Mouse: Razer Naga     Monitor: Asus 27in x 3}

Hi. i successfully registered in vessel, but down speed is really bad for mi, can't stream in hd and "vessel hd" is notably worse than youtube 1080p..

I assume it will get better, but for now doesn't work for mi

I have subscribed to vessel I really like the format is sleek. I definitely like it better than youtube in terms of clicking on your profile and being able to scroll through video's. 

My question is so how does this subscription fee of 2.99 a month directly support LinisTechTips. I wanted to know because my main reason I would get vessel is to show my support for the excellent videos and hard work you guys put into? The free year is definitely a plus to be able seamless as possible transition. 

I've not read every post, so apologies if this has been mentioned.

I get why you guy are partnering with Vessel, and really want to support you in it.  However, Vessel really needs a mobile site/app for Android and Chromecast as well for me to actually view your videos there.  At least half of my youtube usage, especially longer videos and stuff I actually care about (your content being in that category), I watch from my sofa on my TV via Chromecast.  So while I signed up for vessel, for the time being I guess I'll be waiting for the videos to hit the youtube channel.

Does the giveaway include International e.g. uk and Europe or just US/Cannada]

sorry just missed the last page,  ignore this.

In the video Linus said that Channel Super Fun was on vessel too. I can't seem to find it though.

Thanks for the free year, I don't like Vessel's UI very much (also it seems to be missing features from Youtube such as "already watched" and remembering where you stopped to watch a video). But it will have to do.

I have run into an issue with vessel, one which i dont expect u guys to be able to fix, but just a heads up, your youtube videos loads just fine (even 1080p), but due to me living in malaysia, yes where u are now linus, vessel's video buffers really slowly, even without turning on HD   

Dude Vessel on maxis fibre/unify 30mbps  work flawlessly here on Arch Linux/ Firefox (latest)/HTML5 & Win8/Firefox/HTML5 ... (not sure about Flash). 1080p playback.

I completely understand why LMG has started to use vessel and I congratulate them for doing so. 

However my experience with the platform hasn't been good so far. 

I live in Australia and have terrible internet speeds compared to you guys in the rest of the world, I can watch Youtube in 720p no problem however I have never been able to watch twitch without the video stopping and having to buffer ever 10 seconds (even in low resolutions) and I'm getting the same experience with Vessel. 

With no option for resolution settings, just Auto or HD I am forced to leave it on Auto where the video looks terrible (maybe 480p) and having to leave it to buffer for over a minute before I am able to watch 10 seconds of the video before it stops again. 

As I said before I completely support LMG's choice to use vessel is seems like a great platform however I thought you would appreciate my feedback and I think I'm going to have to stick to YouTube for now. 

Was also wondering if the WAN show archive will be going up same time as usual on YouTube? 
Thanks heaps for the AWESOME content guys and keep up the amazing work!! :) 

I'm having trouble making an account: Whenever I try to make one, it says, "We're sorry, you are not eligible to make an account." How do I fix this?

How much is it going to cost after this first year?

My main problem is that Youtube has become my go-to place for everything. I already get annoyed when I've watched a video but it keeps getting put on my feed, watching all the Linus vids on Vessel will add some small annoyance. Will it become annoying to the point where I watch them all on V & unsub on YT? Maybe, I dunno.

The years free sub makes all the difference for me at the moment, almost everyone else I regularly watch is still on Youtube & I'm not going to pay a sub for early access to only a couple of channels.

I absolutely support you guys in trying this out though. I recognise LTT puts a lot of effort into making their videos look professional & YT takes a good chunk of the profits.

Are you planning on eventually abandoning YouTube all together? Do you want us to stop watching on YouTube and switch to Vessel?

What if I don't care if I get early access to your videos and just want to watch your video's and support you? Is Vessel still something you'd like me to do or should I just say, buy a shirt or something?

I hope you guys don't stop clowning around on your videos, its my favorite thing about them since most of what you review or cover has nothing to do with what I can afford. I watch everything you put out mostly for entertainment except when a certain product is relevant to me.

LMG TV show anyone? LOL