Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

My motherboard is on 1156, and it's an intel board, so I go out and get 16GB of ram, just to come home and realize that the motherboard doesn't support 8GB dimms. FML

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

In terms of buying, my biggest regret is probably my Antec DF-30 case or my Xigmatek Colleseum CPU cooler.

My biggest mistake was probably when I was building the PC, and I didn't mount the CPU cooler properly and it wasn't making contact with the CPU. Consequently, I sat there for about an hour booting and instantly overheating, causing a restart, and wondering what was going wrong. My friend ended up coming over and tightening the screws a bit.

I did that once, but it wasnt that bad, my system would run but it would shut down whenever I started any intense games. Took me several months before I realised what the issue was.

Socket 3 is stupid. I got my 486 PC about a year ago and the first thing I do is take the cpu out and look at it. Guess what, Socket 3 lets you insert the cpu in any direction and doesn't have the triangle or anything to tell you which way to put it in. So what did I do? Stick it in the wrong way and power it on, frying the CPU. Luckily the motherboard and all the other components worked fine, so I ordered a new CPU.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

cheaped out and bought a 6850 instead of 560ti

Cleaning my CPU Heatsink, removing the CPU and then placing it back in, not checking the pins were lined up and forcing my CPU into the housing, bending pins and breaking the housing. This was about 10 or so yrs ago, when P4's were very expensive, so i had to replace $1000+ worth of parts at the time, wasn't impressed.
did this aswell... was an acer prebuilt comp anyways. now im kinda glad i did it, its like my future self destroyed the pos computer

The biggest mistake I have done which is very little is not connect the 24 pin correctly on my seasonic psu. It is split and I only connected one half of it and took me a min to fig what that other half had to go and why my computer was running, but no screen lol.

I once plugged in a guetto 7v molex fan adapter into a harness with one molex then one sata underneath...the hard drive did not like it:((

System - Bulldozer 8150, Crosshair V Formula, Radeon 7770, 8Gb Corsair Vengeance, Corsair Rm450

selling my quiet gtx 460 for a reference 480, not buying a fan controller, selling my ssd though what i got with it i have been very happy with and got another ssd to replace it after 8 months. buying a used WD green drive, trying to run crysis on a dell hahaha

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

Back when I was a young recycler (14) i tried to clip a pin off to fit into a different socket. I think it was a celeron 700mhz or sumthen . Oh yeh that didnt work no idea why (shifty eyes)

But my list goes on and on being that I learnt everything i know through a butt load of mistakes haha.

CPU- I7 7700K @ 4.4Ghz, RAM- 32 Gig Hyper X @ 2800 mhz , GPU - GTX 1080ti Strix 11gb , MOBO- Asrock Fatality Z270 , SSD :Kingston Hyper X SSD Fury and Samsung 500gig

Trying to add some bytehertz to my hdd, didn't work

2natf2q.jpg

Roflmao brilliant

CPU- I7 7700K @ 4.4Ghz, RAM- 32 Gig Hyper X @ 2800 mhz , GPU - GTX 1080ti Strix 11gb , MOBO- Asrock Fatality Z270 , SSD :Kingston Hyper X SSD Fury and Samsung 500gig

Found a switch on the back of my power supply when I was young, got curious while the computer was on... :o
Oh yeh the voltage changer, ive done that haha, fogot about that made a nice puff of smoke from the psu

I have not done a lot with computers but I guess the biggest mistake would be putting the Mother Board on top of the anti-static bag while installing CPU and cooler, nothing happend but...

Second, buying a Mac for school. Now I regret that decision.

Asus Sabertooth Z77, Intel 3770K 4.6GHz @ 1.33V, EVGA GTX670, Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM, and Corsair 800D

when I was doing my first build I put the RAM in backwards and broke the PCB on the RAM stick.
Oh yeh this is a common one.

I remember when I did my first dust cleaning on my first computer with a dedicated graphics card. I thought to myself "what's this weird residue underneath the heat sink? *wipes away* That should be much better". Took a few minutes to realize the errors of my decision.
lol....ouch

well I used a Hp computer for a long time before I built my own gaming rig, actually I am still using the 320gb drive from that hp for my os, but I bought a (don't laugh) vista computer. yeah vista didn't stay long, I ran ubuntu 9.10 I want to say and comp usa said that installing a different os voided my 3 year extended warranty
Thats so not cool, replacing OS voids the warranty.

I bought three WD Caviar Blacks from a local computer store in town. Somehow two of the three drives were dead, and when i took it back to the store the same day they wouldn't give me a refund or replacement drives.
Yeh that sounds shifty as. Id report those guys to department of fair trading.

I clean the gpu cooler and dont plug to the three pin... when i start to play 5 minutes later the lcd go black... that 2 times later i forget plug...
Ouch.... man so not cool

got some thermal paste in cpu socket :( killed mobo and cpu

Ive always been so scared of doing this.

Sticking my finger into one of these at max settings, P4 days think i had a 3.2ghz under it, Yeh it gave me stiches but it was worth it.

thermaltake-cpu-fan-contact-29-CLP0588-2_zpsbf411d3d.jpg

biggest mistake: windows vista
no no i can go one step further, Windows ME yeh thats right everyone forgets that horrible mistake

I had my first real gaming machine in my car when I got in an accident. Broke my gtx460...

Not really a mistake but more unlucky. Last year I had severe chest pains the week leading up to term papers which were due on the Monday. The chest pain didn't go away till the Friday before. Till this time I was not well enough to get out of bed. The first thing that I did was that I went onto my computer to send an email to my parents letting them know why I haven't been in contact with them for a week. My hard disk drive decided to die soon after and not having backed up my data for around two weeks due to being sick, I lost most of my progress on my term papers. I ended up going to the library to madly complete the papers that weekend. Luckily I passed all my courses that semester and got a new hard disk drive soon after in the summer.
Ahh thats sux, i hope ur lungs are ok?

I was at the computer and a fly was irritating me. I swatted at it and it the screen. I ended up dislodging the bezel and the fly is still here. (happened a while ago)

He who dies with the most tools wins.