Ultimate Programming Resources Thread

Markmjb

Introduction

Some of you guys might now Zonked thread with the exact name. He started the topic to gather our knowledge of the best programming stuff you can find.

So first, a thank you for Zonked who started this work!

Since he is unable to update the thread regularly, I will, with the consensus of alpenwasser, continue his thread.

Hey my thread is still alive!!

Hey @msrkmjb you have done an awesome job maintaining and updating this thread.

I moved to the US to do my masters and have had no time to do a lot of the things I used too (including the LTT forum). It's great to see it still helping people! 

Case Bitfenix Shinobi | CPU - i5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz | Motherboard -  Asus P8Z77 | GPU - 7870 | PSU - Corsair CXM 600w | 
Harddrive - Seagate Barracuda 1Tb x 2 | SSD - Samsung 840 256Gb | Cooling - Custom 2x Dual 120mm Radiator, Watercooling Loop |

Ultimate Programming Resources Thread ||| CompSci Masters Degree Student and Professional Java and C# Programmer

I moved to the US to do my masters and have had no time to do a lot of the things I used too (including the LTT forum). It's great to see it still helping people!

Yay, you're alive! Sorry about the transfer of ownership, but since I didn't know if

or when you'de back I considered this to be the most pragmatic solution. :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Hi @Zonked :D

Yeah no problem dude, We got your back :)

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

• 1 month later...

You can add love2d.org under lua(add a lua). And there should be a section for 2d game engines and one for 3d game engines. If you do 2d game engines then love2d.org could go under both lua and 2d game engines.

@Markmjb Atom is an excellent cross platform text editor. It runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget on the IDE's section the RAD Studio from Embarcadero

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

MIT and Harvard founded a free course sharing site, with courses from 85 universities and industry leading companies and organizations from around the world (Including the likes of UC Berkeley, BU, Australian National University, The University of British Columbia, ASU, CalTech, Columbia University, Princeton, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Notre Dame, Colgate University, Microsoft, The Mexican Ministry of Education, IEEE, Linux Foundation W3C, Amnesty International, and more). This site is called edx.

While this site offers a lot of courses, and especially programming ones, I wanted to highlight Harvard's CS50 course. If you take this course on the edx site, you will be getting the actual course taught at Harvard University for the previous year (so until Dec 31, 2015 you will take the course from 2014). You can take it at your own pace, and attack it in any manner you wish. The course is free, and if you want a certificate that is verified from edx and the institution that made the course you can pay $90 for the verified track. (Both "tracks"are exactly the same, the only difference is the certificate that you get for completing the course). 

Here is a link to the edX homepage: http://www.edx.org

And to CS50: https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-harvardx-cs50x

EDIT: lol, looked at the list and didn't see it on there, turns out I ended up posting it under another of the same suggestion xP... wow

• 2 weeks later...

Code Academy now offers a Java course (currently only the preview is out).

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

• 1 month later...

Atom has already been mentioned, but I can't emphasize enough how great of a text editor it is. You can install almost any linter as an add-on, and it can connect with your github repos and show all diffs straight in the editor. You can also make commits through it.

I'd like to add a new language to the list.(Rust) and some links for it

Rust

https://www.rust-lang.org/ (official website)

https://crates.io/ (Official library repostory)

https://doc.rust-lang.org/book/ (the official tutorial/book)

http://featherweightmusings.blogspot.ca/2014/04/rust-for-c-programmers-part-1-hello.html (A nice tutorial for people coming from C++)

• 4 weeks later...

Atom is a great text editor that's pretty light weight. I personally love it find it at http://atom.io 

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

May i suggest the book  "C Programming Absolute Beginners Guide"

This books has been a great introduction to C for me and has introduced the language in a fun and easy to understand way. I reccommend anyone new start with this book.  

http://www.booksamillion.com/p/C-Programming-Absolute-Beginners-Guide/Greg-Perry/Q307946342

• 1 month later...

I would add a book called 'Learn to program' by Steven Foote. Nice book for begginers.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

thanks a lot im using this to get ahead of my programming class at my school

yeahyuz

• 3 weeks later...
On 1-3-2016 at 7:49 PM, Djole123 said:

I would add a book called 'Learn to program' by Steven Foote. Nice book for begginers.

Will look into that, thanks for contributing :P 

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

Some important resources:

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

• 5 weeks later...

For text editors I would also add Nano. It may not be the best editor but it is good for quick and dirty edits right from your shell.