OS X Software Experience - iSwitched to Mac Part 3

Oh Linus...tryin' to change the way a mac works... Anyways, some point I'd like to make:

- Double-tapping the Magic Mouse for Mission Control is NOT taken from the trackpad...on a trackpad it's four finger swipe up...

- I TOTALLY agree on the iWork conclusion...Numbers is a lame joke, Pages is awesome and keynote is awesome too, but you haven't used it...

- Not being able to 'distinguish' between internal storage is BS, you just never learned how to use Finder :D

- I agree that Finder is worse than Windows Explorer, but I honestly just got used to it and it's not "shit" like you said...

- the keyboard shortcuts are very easy to use and make sense once you get used to them... MAC USERS DON'T BOTHER WITH RIGHT-CLICK COPY EVER...<---at least from my experience

- you used your mechanical keyboard with the Mac...that makes everything ten times more confusing, as you don't have the function keys set to media/volume/brightness keys by default...admittedly, the management of third-party keyboards and mice IS terribad...

- the magic mouse is for sure interesting... I like it, but I get that others don't...Case in point: Using a normal mouse with OSX is really meh...

- it's weird that you can actually notice the lagginess of animations on that 5K display driven by an R9 290M, I tried this thing out in a store and there were ZERO glitches...not saying it isn't true, you've spent much more time with it than I have...

Overall, a great review with lots of good points, so thumbs up for VERY high quality content!

PS: Can I haz the mac since you're done with it? PLEASE!!!

He used his own keyboard because the default one is bad -compared to a mechanical and some other-

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

youre not serious, are you?

lol, Powershell IS trash when compared to the UNIX command line...

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

lol, Powershell IS trash when compared to the UNIX command line...

powershell is not cmd.exe, i guess you didnt know that

edit: not gonna flood the thread with more posts about it

powershell object approach is great, im sick of parsing stuff in unix shell

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

I've been using a MacBook Pro now for months and I agree with everything he said in the video, I also use iMacs too.... I'm sorry but if you like OSX fine, but my girlfriend has used Macs for years and after using my PC she now wants a PC.... 

Finder is crap, I hate it, I hate having to Import images instead of just drag dropping them with finder unless I'm doing it wrong? I just get that noise that makes me instantly infuriated *DUMPHHHH* I still don't know all the trackpad tricks and using iMacs often ends up with me going into that dock thing which i just.... urgh.... I guess if your into that great but for a PC user we can do what we need to do without all that polish and gimmick the floating window/tile thing is also really annoying for me and I STILL get confused by the american keyboard even though this is a UK sold MBP.

I have to use mac's because it's industry standard in what I'm training to do but I'd much rather use a PC which is better/faster/stronger/costs less blah blah blah.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

He should try airdroid, i use it for almost a month now and it does the computer - android link stuff very well.

When i get a message i get a littile popup on my pc, and i can answer straight away in the popup

Also calls get noticed on my pc, but i don't know how it works tho. I always pick up from my phone and not from the app. So i don't know how this works exacly, but you get at least noticed :)

You can also transfer files and some more things i don't use soo... Maybe he should give that a try, and it's free too. Unless you want some special pro-stuff.

http://www.airdroid.com/

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

osx looks so much like linux they have literally copy pasted everything

@69lover

Spoiler that shit up please dude, its ruining the whole page.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I became genuinely unimpressed by windows and mac os window management after I started using i3wm on linux.

http://youtu.be/TReJmvn5nKY?t=6m30s

The up directory button isn't missing in windows. 
68f5e029b5.png
                ^hereish^

It was nice to get another windows users opinion on a potential switch to MAC, still not happening.

Erm something I wanted to say. Brain I hate you.
Was it: "Hi Mape!" or something about mac os? Damnit brain.

- I always use the Finder with the Column view to browse through files. These are the view options and this is how it looks like. It was not system-wide in my experience. I just had to set again in different folder and it stays like that; i.e. my Screenshots folder are in gallery view, the normal is in column view, sorted by name, arranged by kind, and my downloads folder are sorted by the created date, in column view.

tbh, Column View is what makes finder usable. Otherwise it would be a broken piece of shit.
They broke it since 10.6.8 in which I considered it good. Somehow they managed to make the "sort by type" feature not work by fileextension, but instead by General file type.
Let's say I have a folder. One with several picture types, Like .NEF and .JPG. Say I want to select all the .JPG files in here and delete them, I can not do this easily anymore because it plops them all into one category and then just sorts them by name like this:
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0001.NEF
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0002.NEF

What is this terribleness?
Any other file manager would have done this:
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0001.NEF
DSC_0002.NEF

Also they started hiding some folders like /System through flags which can only be unset using the shell.

Tbh, the thing used to be better than explorer until they broke it post 10.6.8, after which it became more and more unusable.

Best filemanager I have encountered this far is thunar. Simple, very classic in it's UI, and it has this amazing batch rename utility which supports regex. :) But it is a linux thing.

tldw (too long didn't watch): Everything thats better compared to windows is a "stock" unix feature that most basic distributions support out of the box. Everything that isn't as good is apple specific. Did i get that right?

Machines take me by surprise with great frequency

youre not serious, are you?

Try using a good Unix shell. Powershell is garbage in comparison

There is actually a much more useful "up directory" feature in OSX, simply right click on the window title in Finder and you should be presented with a dropdown (like you asked for) that goes all the way to the top level directory!

Give it a try :)

Regards,

Matthew Stratford

CPU: Intel i7 4770K  | RAM: 4X 8GB Patriot Viper @ 2133MHz | GFX: Zotac GTX 970 (ZT-90101-10P) | MB: Asrock Z97M Pro4 | PSU: Corsair CX500M

really everything listed in the video for the most part has been the same for a long time in OSX. I even struggled with some of what Linus was struggling with at one point or another. 

The biggest thing i had to become accustomed to for finder was not to think that it would work like explorer. is it not meant to be - it takes more a unix approach. that and the people that mac's are aimed at (for the most part) are not tech's 

with finder they hide some of the functionality mainly so that you will use the folders provided to organise your content. so the music and documents are to be used. windows has taken this on board since around XP and is about universal in every OS i have used (don't know about chrome OS) 

there are other reasons but that is for another day. 

i know Linus got the idea about apps managing the content (photos and videos) instead of Finder. that has been like that since about 10.4 (or something like that) so that is nothing new but the experience can be drastically different between users depending on how much content is in the library. i know iphoto use to get really sluggish when it got close the 1TB in size (have not used it in 3 years so could of change) and then you get into the pain of creating separate libraries. 

also Linus you are the first person i have ever heard that likes pages :P haha 

really all in all the os is not that bad and having to have supported mac's for about 5 years i would be fairly comfortable working on one if i had to again. But that is me and my workload would be vastly different to what LMG would be doing. 

i would like to see how some of the guys at LMG would run Linux.. something like ubuntu or a gnome desktop to see how they would fair. haha

@LinusTech Hmm there were definitely some inaccuracies in here, though with only a short experience that is understandable

one example, you said there was no way to choose between different instances of the same program, you can actually set up "app expose" so that you can split instances of the same program (the same way mission control splits all the programs)

another example, you can completely resize icons, not just 2 steps etc

Dont have a mac here to do screenshots or anything, but there were definitely a few things you mentioned that were wrong

that said your conclusion is pretty accurate, OSX is just another OS, its different to windows, neither are particularly better or worse, for your work and integration with others in your company sticking to windows makes the most sense, I am glad that you didnt just hate on it and actually really experienced it and enjoyed certain parts of it :) bravo on a good video still

Looking forward to the performance part and final words

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

He used his own keyboard because the default one is bad -compared to a mechanical and some other-

then he should have gotten one with a Mac layout from somewhere like WASD keyboards, I get it that it adds additional cost to the video production but using a normal windows layout keyboard on an OSX machine is just horrendous 

| --- My Stuff --- |

Computer: Apple Late-2008 Macbook Pro ; -Haguro- build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/296613-wip-project-haguro-x99-hackintosh-workstation/|

Mobile Devices: Apple 32GB 1st gen Ipad Mini ; Apple 16GB Iphone 5s ; Apple Ipod Classic 80Gb 5th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 120Gb 6th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 160Gb 7th Gen ; Apple Ipod Nano 16Gb 6th Gen 

I just want to say, as someone who actively uses all OS types (Windows at work, Linux on my desktop, OSX and linux on my laptop), the unified vitual file system is just plain better, and heres my reasons why

Reasons why 1 large virtual file system is better than multiple drives,The good about multiple drives.Good separation of concerns, emphasizes easy sorting.Um.. (help me here.. I can't actually think of anything else)The bad about multiple drivesDrive letters are not standard, remove one drive and add another and the letter the first had the second one could then be givenDrive letters are limited, 26 Letters, some DOS systems allow up to 32 mounts through the use of some symbols, but theres normally a hard limit set of 26If a drive is mounted as example D, then something refers to a file on D:/somefile.txt, then the drive is removed, another mounted as D:/ then the first drive is then mounted again, but can't take the assignment D:/ because it is in use the thing trying to access the file on D:/ won't find that file, because it is now E:/somefile.txtThe good about a virtual file systemDrives can be mounted anywhere, standard says drives should have their own folder under /media/, one for each drive being used, a temporary mountpoint /mnt can also be used if the drive is only temporary.  Example: I have my media drive(actually just a partition that can be read by both OSX and Linux) mounted as /home/lutzee/media. It makes sense for me to have my media files in my home directory, the file permissions are inherited from the parent folder (my home folder).Allows for unambiguous use of different file systems to work togetherAllows for the easy creation of RAM Disks e.g: mkdir /mnt/ramdisk && mount -t tmpfs -o size=2g tmpfs /mnt/ramdiskAllows for easy movement of any key folder of the OS to be moved to another drive without fuss e.g: So you want /Windows/System32 to actually be on a different drive? Great, copy the files, delete the original and set the new drive to mount under /Windows/System32, no big deal.Allows for the mounting of things like ISO files files as part of the file system, no need for a 3rd party virtual disk drive. Just mount them as a directory and you are good to go.The bad about a virtual file systemIts not obvious what drive something is on unless you actually check the mount pointsNeeds some more hands on management some of the time, some environments manage mounts for you

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

In my company we will not supply Mac's to clients if they request a quote, we always bring them round to ordering a proper workstation PC.

We have had such bad experiences with windows users switching to macs and it was an absolute nightmare having to hold their hand all the time whilst they get use to it. We are never doing that again.

“I'm telling you, people. Everyday we wake up is another blessing. Follow your dreams and don't let anyone stop you. Never say never.” ― Justin Bieber

then he should have gotten one with a Mac layout from somewhere like WASD keyboards, I get it that it adds additional cost to the video production but using a normal windows layout keyboard on an OSX machine is just horrendous

It really doesn't matter whatever keyboard layout you have.

I am using Corsair K70 with German layout and it feels the same with the default US Macbook keyboard.

How? I remapped several keys to my personal preference so it feels the same with Karabiner.

And yes, the app is free.

I grew up in an Apple environment and have been using Windows for only a couple years and can whole heartedly agree that both platforms are "fine." Windows 7 has actually been something of a breath of fresh air as a purely desktop OS while OS X has been acquiring a lot of unwanted iOS features. Like the repeated keys issue. I actually didn't know about it because long ago I just started repeatedly tapping the keys or using copypaste because either way was much faster than sitting through the huge delay before the key would start being repeated. However, it's being used as a way to access special characters, which is incredibly useful. Between that and the legacy keyboard shortcuts (like using "alt + e" to add an accent to the next pressed vowel) OS X is far better at handling special characters, something I dearly wish Microsoft would address. Memorizing a bunch of four digit codes or having to launch character map just isn't as simple or practical.

@LinusTech

@2:50

After using the Windows 10 Beta for about a week I wanted to kill myself; scrolling through the program list in Start Menu is beyond tedious. The people who complain about the charm menu in Windows 8,1 are simply too used to the familiar and expect everything to be like the way it used to be... like cough cough... 

Like so many other people have said. a lot of complaints have to do with your own inexperience. I don't think anyone actually uses launchpad. The best option is to simply drag the Applications folder next to the trash can and set it to grid view. It's a quick and elegant solution to launch all your apps. A better--less intrusive--version of the Windows 8,1 method too. 

also comments like at @5:55 are completely inaccurate. There is a root drive for each hard drive. 

post-145380-0-87935500-1420379983_thumb.

@4:00 Did you forget how much you google was necessarily to learn about window's intricacies? not a balanced comparison.

F14&F15 are problems you brough on yourself using an unsupported keyboard. What happened to @0:30 using it "like a normal person?"

Forcing your windows expectation onto OS X @6:30 I personally like that finder doesn't duplicate a file everytime I want to move it.

There are some issues with Apple tho/ The magic mouse is a joke. So if you wanted touch gesture get a trackpad; else just use a regular mouse. 

Also Apple tried catering too much to the windows crowd. try shift+green maximize button. That is the correct OS X function to maximize a window pre-Yosemite.  Unfortunately maximizing windows was the #1 complaint of windows users hence the crappy maximize we see today. 

Overall I had to thumbs down the video because quite frankly it wasn't a fair and balanced review up to your usual standards. 

@LinusTech

snip

I agree, there were many times where he expected things to be windows like, when frankly, they are different OSs with different ideas. In fact I feel that windows has many more issues than OS X.

I use windows at work, and to be honest, its hardly windows anymore. I can reel off at least 12 different 3rd party applications I use to make it bearable. On OSX for me its just 2, Karibiner and HyperDock.

Admittedly window management on OSX isn't great, but I'd say its exactly comparable to windows. But then I use a tiling window manager in linux so I'm very biased on what is good window management. And I think that workspaces are better than an ultrawide, in fact I use workspaces on linux on my multimonitor desktop.

Not a fair review because hw was looking for a windows system in a system that is not windows.

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

snip

HyperDock is really sick man, thx for the suggestion. 

I agree there are issues with OS X but Linus didn't cover them fairly.

For instance he complained about Office on OS X but that is MS's fault for not upgrading the software. Likewise a lot of niche apps don't work on OS X but that is an issue with developers not supporting the OS.

On the flip-side there are serious problems with Apple such has not being able to display over a 85hz signal and the stupid windows-esq maximize function. 

And then there are problems that relate to both Apple and the 3rd party companies such as the issue with aftermarket keyboards: Apple doesn't support windows kb perfectly and likewise manufactures don't conform to OS X standards. (although that Karibiner app fixes a lot of issues) 

I'm both a mac and windows user on a daily basis. I agree with Linus on both the pros and cons of a mac, but I just wanted to say that even though some stuff is annoying when using the mac, it kinda goes away by time. I got use to doing stuff that I don't do on windows and vice versa. But again, 1 major apple disadvantage is time. After time any mac device slows down insanely, usually needing an upgrade to an ssd or more ram. I've even change the thermal paste on both my macbook pro and iMac because of increasing heat output. At the end of the day, when a user wants to buy a mac or a pc, it comes down to personal interests. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Try to find what's best for you

Am I the only person here using Alfred?

Seriously, everyone should install and use it; it really changes the way you use OSX.

Is that Sherlock?

Got any Tutorial vids? 

He could have at least have figured out how to adapt his keyboard to OSX, rather than just saying, that some preconfigured shortcuts are not availabe, wrong or whatever. did he do that to please his mainly windows focused crowd or was he just to lazy?

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Is that Sherlock?

Got any Tutorial vids?

It's a remake with better features, imagine Sherlock combined with Automator, add a few features and you get Alfred.

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15