December 6, 2014 - The WAN Show Document

LinusTech

Digital Foundry Makes A Case For 30Fps

[1:1] Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Xeridian

[1:2] Source 2: eurogamer.net

• To be clear 60fps is the better option when possible.

• “In a wealth of scenarios, limiting frame-rate can result in a markedly smoother gameplay experience.”

• Most PC games offer no frame limiter. Only a vsync option, which when unused can lead to tearing.

• 30fps is used as it is a factor of 60fps. Using 40/45 fps would mean frames would stay on for uneven amounts of time.

• Combining 30fps with motion blur results in good consistent presentation.

• Reasons for 30fps in games:

• Your PC/hardware is not powerful enough

• You have extreme resolution

• Some games can be CPU bound, poorly optimized, or both.

• Reasons 30fps isn’t used on PCs:

• Very few games actually feature frame-rate limiting options.

• In some cases, you get your 30fps, but frames are delivered in an uneven manner, arriving at 16ms, 33ms or 50ms intervals, producing obvious judder.

The World'S First Underground Park- New York City (2018)

[2:1] Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Nuroknight

[2:2] Source 2: imgur.com

Source 3: thestar.com

• Project will occupy 116 year old abandoned trolley terminal.

• Street level solar collectors would be used to filter the sun down 20 feet.

• This is only one part of a revitalisation project.

• Dan Barasch co-founded the non-profit Lowline project with designer James Ramsey, a former NASA engineer.

• The park is expected to cost about $60 million in mostly private funds, plus some government money. More than $1 million has been raised for research and design.

• Several high-tech companies already have used systems to funnel natural illumination to previously light-inaccessible areas.

• Kerri Culhane, associate director of Two Bridges Neighbourhood Council, calls the project a “Trojan Horse” that will draw real estate investors while alienating longtime residents.

At&T Backs Off Threats To Halt Its Fiber Rollout

[3:1] Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Dlf

[3:2] Source 2: computerworld.com

[3:3] Source 3: apps.fcc.gov

[3:4] Source 4: computerworld.com

• CEO Randall Stephenson implied it could be two or three years before AT&T starts investing again in fiber optic network rollouts to potentially 100 cities.

• Stephenson - “Obama proposals to the FCC would cause AT&T to "pause" its planned rollouts so it could gain clarity on what actions might occur.

• Obama’s proposal is that companies that operate as ISPs would be subject to strict regulation under Title II of the Telecommunications Act.

• "We're making these investments [in fiber optic rollouts] that are long-term investments," Stephenson said. "And we have to ask under what rules will those be regulated in two or three years. Until we have some clarity, we'll have to slow ourselves down and we'll have to pause and have some idea of what these rules look like in two or three years."

• Stephenson said in the Fox interview that the delays apply to fiber optic rollouts except for those part of a pending agreement to buy DirecTV.

Was Sony Hacked By North Korea?

[5:1] Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Master Disaster

[5:2] Source 2: bbc.co.uk

• North Korea has refused to deny involvement in a cyber-attack on Sony Pictures that came ahead of the release of a film about leader Kim Jong-un.

• Sony’s computers were attacked and unreleased films made available on the internet.

• In the movie ‘The Interview’, Seth Rogen and James Franco play two reporters who are granted an audience with Kim Jong-un. The CIA then enlists the pair to assassinate him.

• North Korea described the film as an act of war and an "undisguised sponsoring of terrorism", and called on the US and the UN to block it.

• The film about North Korea does not appear to have been leaked.

Steam Broadcasting

[6:1] Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: 4Ndrew

[6:2] Source 2: store.steampowered.com

• When you see a friend in game, simply click on "Watch Game" from their profile or from the Steam Client Friend's List to open a window into their gameplay -- no game ownership, special fees, or additional apps required.

• The beta is open to everyone on Steam who wants to participate by opting in to the Steam Client beta through the Steam Settings panel.

• For the time being, concurrent viewing may be limited as the beta is scaled up to support the broader audience.

Smash Bros. On The Wii U - Error code

[7:1] Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Gruffalow

[7:2] Source 2: gamnesia.com

• Many players encountering error code 160-0103.

The Tech That Drives The New Tesla Model S

[8:1] Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Fordpower

[8:2] Source 2: gizmodo.com.au

• Additional front motor develops 221 bhp, taking the car’s total power up to a supercar-like 691 bhp.

• Combined torque is even more impressive at 931Nm, growing from 362Nm.

• Weighs: 2239kg

• The new Dodge Challenger Hellcat makes 707bhp, 881Nm and weighs 2018kg.

• The Tesla is faster to accelerate, reaching 100km/h in 3.2 seconds to the Hellcat’s 3.7-second time but has a max speed of 250kmph, compared to the Dodge’s 328kmph.

• Both motors are controlled separately to increase control.

• Musk says that Tesla is still five to six years away from a true, self-driving car.

• Tesla has fitted all new Model Ss with a sophisticated array of sensors intended to better inform the driver of conditions around the car and which can take some limited control to avoid crashes.

• The autopilot system uses a long range radar, image recognition camera, 360 ultrasonic radar and GPS data integration with real time traffic.

• Autopilot is capable of checking blind spots, then switching lanes when it’s safe to do so itself if you’ve activated the turn signal while on the highway. It can also auto-brake if it detects traffic is slowing or stopping ahead or if a hazard suddenly appears.

• Musk says the sophistication of these abilities will be developed over the next few years through software updates that will roll out to all models equipped with Autopilot sensor hardware

Stephen Hawking Gets An Upgrade

[10:1] Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Alexp10V2

[10:2] Source 2: overclock3d.net

[10:3] Source 3: engadget.com

Source 4: swiftkey.com

What struck me was the top comment in the swiftkey blog (Source 4). - Dominic

• He has worked with Intel since 1997 on the assistive computer system he relies on to speak and create documents.

• Hawking isn't interested in new tech like eye-tracking, but he and Intel recently decided to bring his current text and voice system up-to-date.

• They ended up getting an assist from a company more familiar to smartphone users -- SwiftKey.

• Intel recoded the system from scratch, with a key contribution coming from predictive keyboard maker SwiftKey.

• Intel also refined his workflow by creating contextual menus for documents or emails to improve ease-of-use. Hawking has been testing it for a few months, and when it's done, Intel plans to make it available to the open source community.

Obama To Provide Funding For Police Body Cameras

[12:1] Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Tech Dreamer

Source 2: theverge.com

n.b. Great write up in source 1.

• It's now promising up to $263 million in matched funding for law enforcement agencies that want to buy body cameras for their officers.

• $75 million of the fund is for purchasing the cameras themselves (up to 50,000 of them)

• The cameras were a frequent demand since the death of Michael Brown, an unarmed teenager killed by the police in Ferguson.

• the rest is devoted to storage, training and outreach programs meant to renew the level of trust between cops and the communities they serve.

• 50,000 cameras will cover only a fraction of the more than 750,000 police officers currently employed in America.

The Ring: Shortcut Everything

[14:1] Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Ahhming

[14:2] Source 2: kickstarter.com

[14:3] Source 3: kickstarter.com

Source 4: youtube.com

• Promised Features:

• Gesture Control

• Text Transmission

• Payment Information Transmission

• Receive/Alert Function.

• Compatible with >=iOS7, >=Android4.4

• Windows phone and ring hub compatibility coming soon.

• Planned ship date July 2014.

• $185 for the ring on kickstarter.

• Raised $881k

• Video in Source 4 reviews the ring.

Psy - Gangnam Style View Count Passes int_32’s capacity

[15:1] Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Tehstranger

[15:2] Source 2: overclock.net

[15:3] Source 3: youtube.com

Link 1: plus.google.com

• Easter egg if you hover over the counter.

• Counter passed 2,147,483,647 views, which is what a signed 32-bit integer supports.

• Youtube updated to a 64-bit integer which supports 9,223,372,036,854,775,808 views.

• It is against Google’s coding practises to use an unsigned integer for various legitimate reasons.

$799 Asus 4K Monitor With Ips Panel , 100% Srgb Coverage, 10-Bit Color

[16:1] Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Ahhming

[16:2] Source 2: rog.asus.com

• 27” PB279Q

• combines in-plane switching tech with a 3840x2160 display resolution

• 10-bit color

• 100% sRGB coverage

• 5ms response time

• 60hz via displayport

• 30hz via HDMI

• the company warns that “prices start from US$799 and may vary by region”

Captcha Is Dead, Meet No-Captcha By Google

[19:1] Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Ahhming

[19:2] Source 2: googleonlinesecurity.blogspot.sg

[19:3] Source 3: theverge.com

[19:4] Source 4: googleonlinesecurity.blogspot.com

• pre-screens user behaviour and filters anyone who is easily identifiable as human

• if it identifies you as a human, you will simply have to click a check mark labeled “I am not a robot”

• if you are suspicious, there will be a second step

• experimenting with more mobile-friendly forms of CAPTCHA

• eg. a test will show you a picture of a cat and ask you to select similar photos from a grid

At&T Wants To Know Why A Town Is Building A 1Gbps Network When It Already Offers 6Mbps Dsl

[20:1] Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Victorious Secret

[20:2] Source 2: bgr.com

[20:3] Source 3: attsavings.com

[20:4] Source 4: arstechnica.com

• Chanute, Kansas, a town of roughly 9000 people

• petitioning the state to allow it to offer greater access to the high-speed fiber network that it built to support town utility operations

• AT&T filed to officially intervene in the case

• “Any decision made by the KCC could impact AT&T’s business operations in the area, which is why we asked to intervene in the proceeding,” an AT&T rep said

• ArsTechnica reports that Chanute would charge citizens just $40/month for its 1Gbps service

• only $5 more than the discounted 6-month entry rate for AT&T’s 6Mbps service

• AT&T includes a hard data cap of 150GB/month, and exceeding that costs you $10 per month

• Chanute officials think the state will rule in their favour

• AT&T says it “hasn’t taken an official position on the fiber network and is simply seeking out more information on why the town might be interested in building such a network and how it might impact AT&T’s own DSL business”

• so why not give them the tools to let them create it.”

Filco'S New Cherry Mx Keyboard With Bluetooth Connectivity

[22:1] Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Ahhming

[22:2] Source 2: techreport.com

• Cherry MX-based lineup (blue, brown, black,red)

• has detachable (looks like mini) USB cord and Bluetooth connectivity

• when unplugged it runs off two AA batteries that provide “about 6 months” of usage time at five hours per day

• comes out in Japan December 18

• set to retail for ~146 USD

Grand Theft Auto 5: Kmart Joins Target In Pulling Game From Sale

[24:1] Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Xtankslayerx

[24:2] Source 2: theguardian.com

Source 3: http://imgur.com/gallery/5wz5q

• Kmart is the second major retailer to pull the franchise from its stores in Australia

• a spokeswoman said it would be removed immediately “following a significant review” of its content

• apologized for not reviewing the content sooner

• Target stated that it would stop selling the game in response to customer complaints

• an online petition posted by three women who identified themselves as victims of violence in the sex industry received attention locally and was signed by 30,000 people

Builds of the Month

Voting was too close, so this time, two winners and one mod pick...

Community Choice 1 - Vault Boy

Ridiculous amount of customization, matching and work went into this. Looks stunning.

Link: http://prezi.com/hgqzkvfykckf/

Community Choice 2 - ROG Desk/Rig

Themed ROG system with customization, PSU cover and such with a custom desk to match.

Link: http://prezi.com/7rhfkwthwo27/

Moderator’s Choice - Project White Camel

Superbly clean system, amazing color scheme, some nice, but not to complicated modding to enhance the build.

Link: http://prezi.com/4kjvholr6e8c

Forum Member ‘Smogsy’ built a man-cave

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Smogsy

• All info/pics in linked post.

THat dudes cave build? You want me to find it? ugh i don’t remember which one it is

RAPID FIRE

Finland To Ditch Cursive Handwriting For Typing And 'Texting' Skills.

[11:1] Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Linux User

[11:2] Source 2: tweaktown.com

• Starting in autumn 2016, the country will no longer have cursive as a compulsory part of the school curriculum. Instead, they will have kids learning keyboard skills and "texting". While keyboard skills are definitely required, texting skills?

Please do get a review sample of the $800 IPS 4k monitor, Linus. I already have the PB287Q 4K, but I'd love to hear your opinions on the 279Q. :D

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

In the rapid fire part, I hope by texting you don't mean texting on a cellphone because that's not it.

It's just regular handwriting.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

The new Tesla Model S is the new "D". It's the version: P85D.

The "D" stands for dual motor.

Source: http://www.teslamotors.com/models/design

Quote from the Gizmodo article: "Dual Motors: Putting the “D” in the Tesla Model S P85D, an electric motor has been added to the front of the car, driving those wheels. Previously, the Model S was rear-wheel drive only."

The Model X is what we are waiting for

CPU: 3770K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 1080Ti SLI | Ram: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Storage: 2x Samsung 840 pros | Case: Corsair 650D | Cooler:  Corsair H100i with Noctus NF-F12 fans | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

did you look at the price of the hellcat vs that tesla?

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Not sure what they have against Swype input.  I use it almost exclusively and it works great.

"Yet another stands before us... Then so be it. For the curse of life, is the curse of want. And so, you peer... Into the fog, in hope of answers."

@LinusTech you might want to look into your mac issue, as thats not normal; even my 8 year old mac with 4gb of ram doesn't have that problem (it will lag behind on text due it's age, but it never just loses characters).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Majorly @Slick but I guess somewhat to Linus, why don't you like Swype? This isn't a critique as much as an honest question. I am a man with stubby fingers and typing on the phone keyboards has always appeared more inconvenient than just using the swype functionality especially when you consider one handed use. I am a fairly avid smartphone user and just curious as to anything that could make my experience better.

The award fits...

So can we expect to see a review of Filco's new keyboard or nah? I'd be interested in that.

Gaming PCs:
Intel i7 4790k, EVGA GTX 980ti, NZXT H440
Intel i5 7600k, Asus GTX 970 DC Mini, Silverstone SG13B
HTPC: AMD Phenom II X6 1045t, EVGA GTX 770 FTW, Fractal Node 604

I think I agree with it being more natural.

I see it more of a quick view of someones game. 

It is so easy to just say hey buddy come check out this awesome thing i'm doing. 

What? I want to see! So we just click watch and come see what is going on.

If a glitch or just casual gameplay that is goin on. I'm rarely gonna exit the game, turn on ShadowPlay Twitch Stream, then send them the link, then get back into the game just to show them something for a minute or two.

Linus you should review the Tesla(if they would let you) then you could 'trade in your lambo' LOL

My Gaming Bio thingy?  Anyhow I love co-op gaming so add me.   :) Skype/Origin/Uplay/Steam/Other -> "GuestForeverX"

Was going to sign up for loot crate cause it seemed cool, then found out it's 30$ CAN a month. Not even remotely worth it :S

i7 - 6700k || Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti || Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB 3200Mhz || Corsair 760T White || Corsair HX850 || NZXT Kraken X62 || Asus Z170-A || Logitech Proteus Core 502 wireless || Logitech G915 TKL ||