The FIRST thing you turn down....

BerginUK

I recently got myself a GTX 980, so am feeling pretty smug when I go to the video settings in games. Personally, I'm a 1080p/60fps sort of person, so that's what I base my settings around.

Even with a 980 though, I realise it's not always possible to achieve that while putting absolutely EVERYTHING onto ultra. I was just wondering if there's something in, say, Far Cry 4 or Crysis 3 (just as examples) that you'd turn down first when you realise your game isn't running at 60fps. 

Come at me!

aa first, then ambient occlusion. Textures and resolution last.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I recently got myself a GTX 980, so am feeling pretty smug when I go to the video settings in games. Personally, I'm a 1080p/60fps sort of person, so that's what I base my settings around.

Even with a 980 though, I realise it's not always possible to achieve that while putting absolutely EVERYTHING onto ultra. I was just wondering if there's something in, say, Far Cry 4 or Crysis 3 (just as examples) that you'd turn down first when you realise your game isn't running at 60fps. 

Come at me!

i run far cry 4 at 60fps+ with my 980, never played crysis 3 though. Suppose that doesn't really answer your question though. But tbh this is my first pc and first gpu and every game i play so far i run at max 60fps+

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

I hate how ambient occlusion and depth of field look. Especially in FPS games

317 is watching. 317 is everywhere. 317 is life.

Shadows, Ambient Occlusion, Tessellation are a few. I always turn down AA as a last resort as it makes games look so much better and I don't want to give that up but it offers the best performance gain.

I hate how ambient occlusion and depth of field look. Especially in FPS games

I like DOF in cinematics but I find it much to distracting and annoying in game.

AA is the first hing I turn down.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

AA is the first hing I turn down.

But but but ... it's so sexy !

Everyone's different. It takes a lot of resources.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

I normally adjust the shadows and lighting effects if I need to gain a few fps. But I'm perfectly content with <45 FPS, so I rarely have to turn anything down at 1080p.

Also I don't run every game with a FPS counter in the corner like most people, so I wont notice if it dips from 60fps to say 45fps because I get too involved in the game to notice.

My Rig:

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H210 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  Motherboard:  MSI B450 AM4 Motherboard  Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB Video Card: MSI RX480 Power Supply: Corsair TX 750w Storage: Samsung 840 120GB And a 500GB WD BLUE Monitor: Acer S231HLbid 23" and an old Dell Mouse: RAZER DeathAdder 3.5G Keyboard: Ducky DK9008G2 PRO MX Cherry Blue

i literally cant tell the difference with aa on max and no aa most of the time

i literally cant tell the difference with aa on max and no aa most of the time

Some game use ineffective forms of AA.

Anything that looks good takes allot of resources ... I mean look at my GF shes smoking hot and she takes more resources to run than Crysis LOL.

Should ditch the girl if she only cares about your "resources"

Plus comparing her to Crysis... smooth.

AA, turning down AA makes usually provides a 10+ FPS jump.

Come at me!

Get a 1440p monitor and play with 2x AA.

Edited by eLucid

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Come at me!

never had the need to turn down anything but AA back when I had a 280x :S The only exception was shadows in far cry 3 because it was some optimization issues that dropped my fps almost 10 fps.

Get a 1440p monitor and play with 2x AA.

Yeah I play a 2XAA at 1440p, 4x or anything higher really tanks my framerate

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I instantly turn off motion blur

but perf wise i start with textures and max buffer rate

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

AA, Shadows and Ambient Occlusion.

Resolution is the last thing you will want to turn down, although you shouldn't have to with a 980 :P

Should ditch the girl if she only cares about your "resources"

Plus comparing her to Crysis... smooth.

It goes back to the beginning of mankind. The men bring resources to the women to feed their eggs.

AA and Shadows.

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

turn down for WHAT?

OT: AA first, often it is the biggest hit on performance

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

First AA and then shadows. Both of those make the least amount of difference to me when playing a game. I'll turn down just about anything if it means I get 60fps though.

First: Antialiasing and Ambient Occlusion to lowest it can go above off.

Last: resolution and textures