Nvidia says Xbox One and PlayStation 4 are great news for gaming PCs

Finally Console's manufacturers are trying compete with Pc

"I'm glad the new consoles are here," says Nvidia's senior vice president Tony Tamasi, "if for no other reason than to raise the bar." He points to a handy chart, which claims that the company's GeForce GTX Titan — a $1,000 graphics card — has roughly two and a half times the power of the PlayStation 4. What he's trying to convey isn't that GeForce is more powerful, though... it's that the consoles are closer to the power of a PC than they've been in a while, and that somehow that's actually better for PCs than it is for consoles.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/12/4421944/nvidia-says-xbox-one-and-playstation-4-are-great-news-for-gaming-pcs

Intel Core i5 4670k,ASUS B85-MG,4GB Vengeance,Gigabyte 7950,Cooler Master Elite 430 Black,Cooler Master 600 Silent Pro

I hope they up the player count for Battlefield 4 for pc and bring consoles up to 64. But I still want PC to have more players than console. 

I hope that they develop it for PC first and then port it to the console but thats probably not going to happen.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

I've had the BF4 stream on Twitch.tv running all day and yesterday, so I can can confirm that the player count is 64 players for PC, Xbox One, and PS4.

all new gen consoles mean is better graphics in games. give it 2 years and they will be pulling pc down again

Character artist in the Games industry.

I HATE 64 player servers on bf3, the map design is complete shit for that many players.

Maybe now is a good time for more developers to finally start with pc gaming, then port down to consoles. The technology field changes too much for consoles to be able to keep up, especially at a resonable price!

Maybe being that consoles are x86 based now, the devs will find it somewhat easier to make pc versions, and less of these terrible ports we keep seeing over and over again.

I was speaking recently with a friend, and we realised that crysis 1 and cod 4 came out at the same time, and the difference in graphics is just amazing, Crysis 1 still looks good today!

We need more developers to push the bar of what theses graphics cards can do, and then give console players a cut down version they can actually run.

all new gen consoles mean is better graphics in games. give it 2 years and they will be pulling pc down again

I'm confused. You're making it sound like in two years, consoles will do better than PC.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I hope that they develop it for PC first and then port it to the console but thats probably not going to happen.

Ubisoft claims to be going down that route.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

One of the things Nvidia is trying to get across is that the Floor (not the ceiling) level of power needed has just risen dramatically. (I would venture to say that the One and 4 have more horsepower than a fair amount of the computers people play games on.)  On top of that for the time being as a developer on x86 why would you not want to try and push to consoles if development time isn't greatly effected. 

Shown here by this nifty little graph

2013-06-11_06-02-25-1020_large_verge_med

Main Rig: i5 760 @ 4.0GHZ Asus p7p55d-e, 8GB Corsair Vengance @ 1600 Mhz. Samsung BX2231 X 3 (5760x1080)

EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked +150/+500, 128GB Crucial M4, 1TB WD Black

Xonar DX, AudioEngine A2, Astro Mixamp, AudioTechnica ath-m50 & ath-ad700

Maxwell people... Maxwell.... It's going to burn churches and rape everything with it's power. :P This is a very good thing, this may also drive down the cost of GPU's.

Motherboard - ASUS P6X58D-E Processor - Intel i7 930 Bloomfield OC'd @ 4.01Ghz, 1.28v | RAM - 12GB Corsair Dominator @ 8-8-8-12, 1600mhz | Graphics Card - EVGA Geforce GTX660 SC 3GB @ +75mhz core, +500mhz mem | Power Supply - Seasonic X650 Gold

CPU Cooler, Fans - Corsair H-90 w/ Noctua FN14 push/pull, Gelid Wings UV Blue  | Case - Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2 |

Unfortunately I expect PS4 exclusive games to look way better than the ones beeing ported to PCs. Since there hasn't been a PC exclusive triple A title for ages I don't think PC ports can outperform games like the new Killzone and others being produced at the moment

144Hz goodness

I HATE 64 player servers on bf3, the map design is complete shit for that many players.

Only because they were made with consoles in mind, which only have 24? Players, the maps on PC are just extended...

Christopher Kruse | Webdeveloper (Interface & Applications)

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

Unfortunately I expect PS4 exclusive games to look way better than the ones beeing ported to PCs. Since there hasn't been a PC exclusive triple A title for ages I don't think PC ports can outperform games like the new Killzone and others being produced at the moment

Metro Last Light? 

I take that back I'm sorry. 

But it still kinda was. 

Diablo III

Firefall (still technically in beta but whatev) 

Swtor 

Main Rig: i5 760 @ 4.0GHZ Asus p7p55d-e, 8GB Corsair Vengance @ 1600 Mhz. Samsung BX2231 X 3 (5760x1080)

One of the things Nvidia is trying to get across is that the Floor (not the ceiling) level of power needed has just risen dramatically. (I would venture to say that the One and 4 have more horsepower than a fair amount of the computers people play games on.)  On top of that for the time being as a developer on x86 why would you not want to try and push to consoles if development time isn't greatly effected. 

Shown here by this nifty little graph

2013-06-11_06-02-25-1020_large_verge_med

However PCs continually get new hardware. Consoles will be rolling on that hardware for years to come.

However PCs continually get new hardware. Consoles will be rolling on that hardware for years to come.

notice the plateau, but like last year at this time we were looking at the 680 being 13.2x more powerful than a 360/ps3, that gap shrinks its better for the gaming community as a whole. At least for a while. 

Weren't previous consoles manufactures already competing with gaming computers? when the xbox 360 came out it had a multi core cpu and 512mb ram, and that was in 06

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

notice the plateau, but like last year at this time we were looking at the 680 being 13.2x more powerful than a 360/ps3, that gap shrinks its better for the gaming community as a whole. At least for a while. 

^ this.

and on top of it, at least manufacturers will feel the need of boosting up what the next generation of graphics card and other PC hardware can do. 

"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want" - Dan Stanford

Project Sandrock (Ended): http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/album/75-project-sandrock/

Project Murasame Liger (WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/album/400-project-murasame-liger/

I think it's more than 2.5x more powerful than the PS4 because it's a GTX Titan. Well, the VP says so, so let's go w/ that. Can't wait for next-gen FPS graphics.

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!
Super Budget Gaming Build: Intel Pentium G1610, Gigabye GA-H61M-DS2 rev. 3, Kingston Value RAM 4GB CL9 1333MHz, Fractal Design Core 1000, Corsair VS 450, WD 1TB, Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB/GDDR5, (Optional: Asus DRW-24B1ST).
 (Total: $340 USD)

Yeah it's definitely a good thing for graphics and optimization. The problem is that last gen consoles had similar power to gaming PCs at the time, this time they don't and their life cycle is expected to be longer so in ~10 years time, when the next consoles are about to be released, the difference will be >20x from the highest end GPU and people would be able to play games at console graphics on maindtream laptop gpus, and that's before considering cloud gaming.

Yeah it's definitely a good thing for graphics and optimization. The problem is that last gen consoles had similar power to gaming PCs at the time, this time they don't and their life cycle is expected to be longer so in ~10 years time, when the next consoles are about to be released, the difference will be >20x from the highest end GPU and people would be able to play games at console graphics on maindtream laptop gpus, and that's before considering cloud gaming.

I agree, but I also look at how much of a freak the titan is, its not in my price range and I don't run cheap cards normally. 

That and its being produced by AMD, I'm still waiting for this big announcement of the 8000/9000 high end cards but haven't seen anything yet (possible they don't have an answer yet?). So, if you look at where the 680/770 7970 lie the gap is much closer than it seems, and much closer to what Microsoft, Sony, and Amd were working with in the One and 4's production.