Two Year Sentence For 3D Print a Gun.

Guns are so stupid. Close combat is way more fun. Guns are like cheating.

:lol:

I used to live in Taiwan only a few months ago. I was very interested in the Japanese culture (I still am), and they really take gun control very seriously. In fact, they take every single law made by their government very seriously.

At the core of their culture and society is discipline, so it came as no surprise to me that the guy was sentenced 2 years for jail. I was more surprised to find that the punishment wasn't worse. (There had been plenty of cases for life sentences.)

You may see how much they respect their law by watching some entertainment shows (anime, movie, etc) or news programs. Especially on news, their way of portraying the people who's gone down the wrong path are merciless. Even if those people does return to society again, they're at a very high chance of not being able to find a job and get on their feet ever again.

coming from Japan, this isn't surprising

for those that aren't familiar, Japan is EXTREMELY gun-phobic

The whole Airsoft market practically started in Japan because it was the only way for people to enjoy firearms legally - and even those are HEAVILY restricted

an airsoft gun shooting over 300 feet per second is considered a firearm in Japan - to put that in perspective, a mere 9mm pistol shoots around 1200fps (can vary with ammunition, both above and below). Japan is scared of a pistol shooting PLASTIC at ONE FOURTH the speed of a real firearm

An airsoft gun can take out an eye so that doesn't surprise me, at least if you get hit in the eye with a normal gun you're dead. bad logic yes I know

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

And how is this a bad thing? They found more guns at his flat... Today it would be a lot conventional to 3D print a gun and kill someone with it than taking a real gun... If I was at the head of the goverment I would completely prohibit any type of fire arms... Japan is doing the right thing.... 15 murders in Japan 2012? Now look at USA, what does it say about the people and the goverment who are allowing all the weapons for civil use?

That's a fairly ignorant statement kid. if someone truly wants to kill someone they will find a way, but of coarse they will take the easiest way first. Taking away guns will not stop people from committing murder, just like how making drugs and rape illegal doesn't stop it from happening, or prevent drugs from coming into the country. Banning guns will not stop criminals from getting a hold of them, they don't buy guns legally in the first place. People buy guns for sport, or for defending themselves and they have every right to defend themselves by any means against a criminal. The amount of people killed by guns in america is 2-5 out of every 100k, that is 9000 people killed by guns out of 319 million....which is .0028% of the population. Maybe if I showed the population killed by cars or obesity, you would want to make gasoline or forks illegal... A life lesson kid, sometimes things that aren't so bad are presented in a wrong light,and some lights just shine brighter than others.

The problem is not as big as people make it to be, the type of 3D printer needed to make a functioning gun is too expensive, big and difficult to operate for the average Joe that just spontaneously decided he will go for a rampage. He will more likely use a CNC to build his gun, and even more likely to try and smuggle one.

What? If you adjusted for population, we should see something much closer...

Japan: 47

US:      5175

(I used the 2002 numbers since it was the last year that matched and seemed more representative of the average of the dates you posted.)

It's still 1 to about 100...

If you'd like a discussion and my personal oppinion:

Personally, I would like guns to go away from civil possession. With the laughs it brings on a firing range or hunting trip, many deaths follow - be it by murder or accident. You can't deny a gun is dangoures, saying a gun is only dangoures in the wrong hands is like saying bombs and cars are only dangoures in the wrong hands. Which is not true, you can't control nature - this is where accidents happens, which can be limited if they are not widespread like they are in the US.

I will say - making it illigal to own a gun in US from one day to another will cause chaos though, guns being handed down through family and friends makes it impossible to get rid of now.

Just look at the rest of the civilized world... You rarely see homicides of through the use of firearms... And what I think is alot more important - less "masacras" <--- That's a deep one, but can't be overlooked.. And I doubt that as many would have suffered through various episodes if all that the suspects had access to legaly was knifes..............

For me this whole discussion is exactly like the discussion about wether or not weed is damaging to your health. Everyone who enjoys it will fight for their right to keep it, will deny facts and deny acknowledgement of scientific studies. All while the rest of the world still screaming that they are a bunch of ignorant assholes or whatever people like calling eachother.

My 2 cents.. or more, depending on how you look at it.

Everyone have a cool signature. I don't, so I thought I would write something.

- Cool right?

The problem is not as big as people make it to be, the type of 3D printer needed to make a functioning gun is too expensive, big and difficult to operate for the average Joe that just spontaneously decided he will go for a rampage. He will more likely use a CNC to build his gun, and even more likely to try and smuggle one.

like everything with new technologi. - It is just that... new.. and immature.

In a few years, your average Joe will be able to print a gun, 100% no doubt.

- Cool right?

If the gun can seriously injure someone then good.

If it just hurts, then wtf

like everything with new technologi. - It is just that... new.. and immature.

In a few years, your average Joe will be able to print a gun, 100% no doubt.

Good point, but keep in mind that everyone can make a gun with a CNC. Would you regulate selling tools like CNCs? If they did, I would leave the country. 

It's still 1 to about 100...

If you'd like a discussion and my personal oppinion:

Personally, I would like guns to go away from civil possession. With the laughs it brings on a firing range or hunting trip, many deaths follow - be it by murder or accident. You can't deny a gun is dangoures, saying a gun is only dangoures in the wrong hands is like saying bombs and cars are only dangoures in the wrong hands. Which is not true, you can't control nature - this is where accidents happens, which can be limited if they are not widespread like they are in the US.

I will say - making it illigal to own a gun in US from one day to another will cause chaos though, guns being handed down through family and friends makes it impossible to get rid of now.

Just look at the rest of the civilized world... You rarely see homicides of through the use of firearms... And what I think is alot more important - less "masacras" <--- That's a deep one, but can't be overlooked.. And I doubt that as many would have suffered through various episodes if all that the suspects had access to legaly was knifes..............

For me this whole discussion is exactly like the discussion about wether or not weed is damaging to your health. Everyone who enjoys it will fight for their right to keep it, will deny facts and deny acknowledgement of scientific studies. All while the rest of the world still screaming that they are a bunch of ignorant assholes or whatever people like calling eachother.

My 2 cents.. or more, depending on how you look at it.

1. The weed argument is invalid because most of those studies are paid for by the people who profit from it being illegal, not to mention being refuted by other studies, but I'm not going into that here.

2. Guns are something we wish we could disinvent, but the fact is they aren't going anywhere because there are people in this world determined to kill others by any means necessary, so it's really just a pipe dream.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

~snip

For the most part, I agree with you. The only points I would say would be that you can't really compare guns, which are not likely to damage anything alone (maybe bullets), to bombs, which are volatile by nature and require special storage and transportation laws, and that ex post facto laws would protect current gun owners even if owning a gun in the US was made illegal today.

It's just a tough discussion to have at all, but I lean more towards outlawing civilian gun ownership.

Edit: For the OP, even if it's 3D printed, a functional gun is still a gun, so the sentence makes sense coming from Japan (even in the US, it would probably be illegal if you didn't register it).

Everyone's law-abiding until the trigger is pulled.

I pulled the trigger about 300 times at an IPSC match this weekend. Am I a criminal?

OT: Although I do not agree with the laws in Japan, they are their laws. If this man is smart enough to use a 3D printer to make a functioning firearm, he is smart enough to figure out what the laws are surrounding it. So I have no problems with his sentencing. Dont do the crime if you cannot do the time.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

If the law says you can't own a gun and he printed one, then there's nothing wrong going on. I'm not saying that I agree with the law. 

Now about the idea of regulating 3D printers because the possibility that one could print a gun. That is ridiculous! You can make a high explosive with common chemicals at the grocery store if you have the know how. You can't regulate something like that because of the possibility that some idiot can do or make something illegal with it.

Good point, but keep in mind that everyone can make a gun with a CNC. Would you regulate selling tools like CNCs? If they did, I would leave the country. 

My reply was simply pointing out that with time, everything gets easier and more automated.

At some point everything needs to be regulated. CNC and 3d printers will not be exceptions... With new technology comes new possibilities.. With possibilites comes responsibility..

The way to ensure that, is through regulations, what you can and can't do.. But it won't ever stop someone who wants to make his own gun or whatever other item through these technologies.

- Cool right?

1. The weed argument is invalid because most of those studies are paid for by the people who profit from it being illegal, not to mention being refuted by other studies, but I'm not going into that here.

This is exactly the kind of argument I'm reffering to.

A steak without the meat.

But that's a discussion I will not take part in - was only making a refference to exactly how I think this gun discussion will go because of arguments like these.

- Cool right?

To be honest if they were fully functional (dint read all page so whether they where or not is unknown to me) i can see there point in sentencing him, he is posing a threat to people safety (though he'd have to snap and go phsyco for him to harm any one) so i mean it's not Sooooo ridiculous

I did a thing once and it was awsome: https://soundcloud.com/jamese666/junkhead-cover-with-vocals

My reply was simply pointing out that with time, everything gets easier and more automated.

At some point everything needs to be regulated. CNC and 3d printers will not be exceptions... With new technology comes new possibilities.. With possibilites comes responsibility..

The way to ensure that, is through regulations, what you can and can't do.. But it won't ever stop someone who wants to make his own gun or whatever other item through these technologies.

I really hope you're wrong, owning unregulated tools is my definition of freedom.

This is exactly the kind of argument I'm reffering to.

A steak without the meat.

But that's a discussion I will not take part in - was only making a refference to exactly how I think this gun discussion will go because of arguments like these.

Try actually countering my argument with facts instead of simply denying and insulting it, it makes you look like more of a troll.

I really hope you're wrong, owning unregulated tools is my definition of freedom.

I guess the only thing I can say.. Becarefull for what you wish for.

Regulation bring goods, and bads.

- Cool right?

But wait a second, how can you possibly think that everything needs to be regulated; and then immediately turn around and admit that it wont stop someone from making a gun?

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Try actually countering my argument with facts instead of simply denying and insulting it, it makes you look like more of a troll.

I'm not trying to argue - and from the looks you are.

This is dumb and I will not take this further.

- Cool right?

I'd challenge anyone here to name where a law has prevented a crime from occurring.

Laws are a way for society to legitimize punishing those who violate said laws, they prevent nothing.

I'm not trying to argue - and from the looks you are.
This is dumb and I will not take this further.

I'm trying to point out that mocking someones argument by calling it "stupid" isn't an argument at all.

But wait a second, how can you possibly think that everything needs to be regulated; and then immediately turn around and admit that it wont stop someone from making a gun?

^this, 1000 times this.

Beacuse without regulations, things will go bananas.. That's the whole point with laws...

But you won't ever be able to control someones doing, so it is bound to happen.

It's just how things work, nothing is black and white.

EDIT:

What he said:

I'd challenge anyone here to name where a law has prevented a crime from occurring.

Laws are a way for society to legitimize punishing those who violate said laws, they prevent nothing.

- Cool right?

I guess the only thing I can say.. Becarefull for what you wish for.

Regulation bring goods, and bads.

Yes, I just think the dangers of it outweighs the benefits.

And I would seriously leave the country if it started regulating tools.