How steam economics work

Rbolsen

404 page not found

"Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength" Arnold

Ummm bad link and could you add more to the post 

Posting Guidelines:

Here are a few rules/requirements to posting in the News section.Note - this is not an exhaustive list:
-Must have some original input along with the news story from the member on why it is news to them and/or the forum!
-Your post cannot simply be a link to another news source - see point 1!
-When quoting or copying content into your post from the original, you must make it very clear that you are doing so with the use of quotations, for example, or some other means.

404, but no, of course not.

It's always been that way and it's not just in games. 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

404 page not found

It should be fixed now

Like Praise Gabe our savior, have our money.

Java Programmer, AMD Fanboy and soon to be casemodder

for those of us that don´t live in murica and canada steam prices are actually higher so we pay more for the same content. what do you guys think of this, is it fair?

EDIT: here try these links 

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-weird-ecomomics-behind-steam-prices-around-the-world/

Of course it is fair, the game has to travel through more internetz to get to you guys so you have to pay for it.

/sarcasm

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

Yeah, I don't care, I like steam anyway. But The price difference always been different, sometimes more than in the US, sometimes less.

"Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength" Arnold

When steam here converted in peso everything is a little bit less. Like a game that is worth for $40 before, we can buy it in 1600php. Whereas when you conver $40 to php 1790php. 

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

It doesn't matter at all, you can buy games from other sites round the world and get their prices anyway.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

It has to do with the purchasing power. If Brazil were to be charged the same as the USA they would be less likely to buy anything.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

When steam here converted in peso everything is a little bit less. Like a game that is worth for $40 before, we can buy it in 1600php. Whereas when you conver $40 to php 1790php. 

I second this. I remember before when I was waiting for the CS:GO to be included in the Flash Sale(which didn't appear at all or maybe I missed it, damn it) last Summer Sale, original cost in USD is I think $15.x(forgot the cents part) which is around P671.17 more or less depending on the cents. Pricing of CS:GO now after steam converted the games to Philippine Peso is P419.95. Quite a huge cut imo.

| CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | MoBo: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | RAM: T-Force Delta RGB (2x8) 16GB 3200MHz (Black) | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti OC | Case: NZXT H500 (Black) | HDD: WD Black 2TB + Seagate Barracuda 4TB | SSD: Crucial MX500 2TB | PSU: Seasonic GX-550 | Monitor: 3x Asus VC239H |

This is a poorly worded thread title. This isn't something that is specifically seen on Steam but in general with the wonky 1USD=1EUR. In regards to video games, I have seen a few explanations, some from game developers themselves that I know and generally it's just this way because "everyone else does it" and because people buy the products anyway. Also has to do with region locking as most game codes are universal or by larger regions ie. AMER, EMEA, APJ. People would buy games online for a lower price in another countries currency and sell for profit in another region. There already a number of services that make serious money off this. 

There is also some popular belief that Europeans also earn more money. 

3x Dell U2414H Triple Monitor Surround @ 5760x1080 / Corsair Obsidian 900D / ASUS ROG Z97 Maximus VII Hero / i7-4790K @ 4.4GHz / 2x EVGA SC GTX 780Ti SLI @ 1150MHz / 16GB GeiL DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz / 120GB Samsung 840 EVO / Corsair AX1200W PSU

Gallery: [1] [2] [3] - Fire Strike Score - Steam Profile

Time to invest in Steam cash before the Christmas sale hits...

here in indonesia its actually a lot cheaper, with usually 20% cheaper on most games, and up to 45% in some games, comparing it to us dollar.

In Australia we call this the "fuck you because we can" tax,  there was a senate inquiry into the price discrepancy between America and Australia for hardware, software and some content, basically apple, MS and adobe where summoned to give evidence and they said: yes we do, because we can and then added some lame excuses.

We pay on average 50-52% more for everything IT related including content.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Yeah i stopped using steam sometime ago. The prices here in Norway are just stupid. When the 60 euro for a triple A game is converted into Norwegian kroner it's about 480-500kr and you can get the same game at retail store for 379 or around 46 euro...

Yeah i stopped using steam sometime ago. The prices here in Norway are just stupid. When the 60 euro for a triple A game is converted into Norwegian kroner it's about 480-500kr and you can get the same game at retail store for 379 or around 46 euro...

i am just wondering how the pricing will be now when we get kr on steam.

so basically buy all your games from russia via hola? :)

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

you americans can stop complaining about high prices. Us australians have to pay wayy more then everyone else for almost everything

How many computer programmers does it take to change a light bulb?

None, that's a hardware problem.  :D

Neat.

I found this interesting:

"...Russia pirated 63% of its software in 2011, as compared to 19% in the US and 26% in the UK, according to a global study..."

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

Neat.

I found this interesting:

"...Russia pirated 63% of its software in 2011, as compared to 19% in the US and 26% in the UK, according to a global study..."

And that's another reason why it has to be cheaper in Russia.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Steam games are definitely more expensive in europe.. I don't know where that site got it's info.

One thing to consider in regards to the 1 USD = 1 EURO is this:

Taxes

Most (all?) EU countries use a VAT system - Value Added Tax. This tax, often as much as 30% or more (I imagine it depends on the specific country) is included in the purchase price.

In America (And Canada), we don't use VAT. In Canada we use HST - which is Harmonized Sales Tax (A combination of the old system which was PST + GST - Provincial Sales Tax and Goods and Services Tax). GST is Federal tax that is standard across the country, whereas PST varies per province. The US system is very similar, with a Federal Sales tax and varying State Sales taxes.

These figures are applied ONTOP of the sale price.

So for example, a 60EURO game on steam already has that tax added on. A $60 game however, has the tax thrown on top.

Now, Canada has fairly low sales tax (13% in Ontario), while some EU states have fairly high VAT.

Let's assume a 20% VAT, since that seems to be the rough average.

60 Euro game

20% Tax included

To find price before tax, we use the following formula:

Total Price / (Tax rate + 1) = Before Tax Price

60 / (0.20) + 1 = Before Tax Price

60 / 1.20 = 50

Therefore the price before VAT was 50 Euro

Now lets look at Canada

$60 CAD game

13% Tax ADDED to price

Original Price * (Tax rate +1) = Total Price

$60 * (0.13 + 1) = Total Price

$60 * 1.13 = $67.80 CAD

Now let's look at the conversion rate between CAD and Euro. Obviously, we all know the Euro is worth more (USD and CAD are fairly equal these days with only a few percent difference).

The current exchange rate for 1 Euro to CAD is $1.41085 CAD

We then convert 60 Euro = $84.6686 CAD

So this proves that YES there is a discrepancy, and IT IS A PROBLEM, but we must also acknowledge that it isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

In reality, it isn't 1 Euro = 1 CAD/USD, but rather 1 Euro = 1.13 CAD. Can we conclude that this is still unfair? I'd say yes we can. Now obviously this will be different if you live in a different Province or in the US, as the tax rates will all be different, but this is a rough guide.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)