Best amp/dac for the ATH - M50x?

TheNightwolf_

Recently i have purchased the ATH - M50x when they were on sale, and i like them alot. I get the feeling that im not utilizing their full potential. What would be an appropriate amp/dac for under 200 to properly satisfy these cans? 

Focusrite Saffire X6 or Starlett 2i2, Steinberg UR22, Roland UA-22 I can tell you that the roland is an underdog while the others are more popular :)

Bye LTT. That was an interesting journey on this board. At least here you see how not to do it. I'll go shaking my head about this place.

You don't need one. But if you decide to get one, it won't be a significant improvement. I'd say the money. 

Focusrite Saffire X6 or Starlett 2i2, Steinberg UR22, Roland UA-22 I can tell you that the roland is an underdog while the others are more popular  :)

These are Audio interfaces and don't have fantastic Headphones amps honestly. I own the 2i2, and if you're purely using it as a Headphone Amp. I'd look at other options. Just my opinion. 

I don't think the M50x is sensitive enough to benefit much from a separate amp. If it were me, I'd actually sell it, add the $200, and get a $300-ish headphone, bigger margin of difference.

If you really want to get one, just get the E10k. Or invest a bit more on O2 (amp only) or O2/ODAC combo

I don't think the M50x is sensitive enough to benefit much from a separate amp. If it were me, I'd actually sell it, add the $200, and get a $300-ish headphone, bigger margin of difference.

If you really want to get one, just get the E10k. Or invest a bit more on O2 (amp only) or O2/ODAC combo

This is a good option. +1

if i had a 350 budget what would my options look like then? and ill be honest i am perfectly comfortable spending that money. i like these headphones and i plan on keeping them

if i had a 350 budget what would my options look like then? and ill be honest i am perfectly comfortable spending that money. i like these headphones and i plan on keeping them

Here are some options, 

Syba DAC - $45 

FiiO E10K - $75

Audioengine D1 - $170

O2 + ODAC -$240

Schitt Magni + Modi - $200 + Cables. 

There are others.

But all of these aren't worth the money. Either save the money or buy a "better" pair of headphones with out without an external amp/DAC 

Imo, it doesn't matter how high your budget it. Get more headphones first.

I used to own a pair of M50s and before I got rid of them I listened to them for a while on a Magni/Modi stack. I couldn't tell the difference between that and running them straight out of the computer. I hate to be that guy and I know this isn't what you're looking for but use that $350 on a better pair of headphones; that's where you'll find the improvement.

My compooter: http://imgur.com/a/mDFsx?

Again, sell it, should get you around $100 (maybe a bit more), so you'd have a total of $450. You could get a HE-400 for $300 + an amp. I use Aune T1 DAC/amp with my HE-400, because I like warmer tone, and the unique tube look, but you could go with any amp/dac combo you like. E10 can drive it pretty well too.

Alternatively, keep the M50x, still get the HE-400, and wait a bit more to get an amp. Although I doubt you'd be spending more time on the M50x, once you get hold of the HE-400. Well, maybe for portable uses....

For $350 I would grab a modded Fostex T50RP V3 from Mayflower and a Monoprice dac/amp. One of my favorite headphones of all time. Sold mine already though since I got some TH600s recently. 

Then do nothing, and enjoy. Generally we steer people clear of the M50x due to price/performance, but if you already own them it would be silly to spend yet more money when you're already happy with them.

Focusrite Saffire X6 or Starlett 2i2, Steinberg UR22, Roland UA-22 I can tell you that the roland is an underdog while the others are more popular :)

What are you smoking?

None of that is going to help.

I used to own a pair of M50s and before I got rid of them I listened to them for a while on a Magni/Modi stack. I couldn't tell the difference between that and running them straight out of the computer. I hate to be that guy and I know this isn't what you're looking for but use that $350 on a better pair of headphones; that's where you'll find the improvement.

No, you better be that guy, you're saving them money and doing them a favor.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

• 4 months later...

Here are some options, 

Syba DAC - $45 

FiiO E10K - $75

Audioengine D1 - $170

O2 + ODAC -$240

Schitt Magni + Modi - $200 + Cables. 

There are others.

But all of these aren't worth the money. Either save the money or buy a "better" pair of headphones with out without an external amp/DAC 

Schitt stack or 02+ODAC?

I trip to make the fall shorter

Not worth spending the $200-300 on amp / dac. You could just grab fidelio x2 or Momentum 2.0, pretty sure those blows m50x out of the water w/o needing an amp