GTX 770 SLI worth it?

Smeemi

Hi, I managed to get one brand new GTX 770 4GB for £200. Was looking to buy another one and SLI it for 1440p gaming. Or I could sell this and buy a GTX 780 for around £350. What do you guys think?

770 SLI would be faster than a single 780 at 1440p.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

A 770 is pretty good for 1440p as it is, is it not?

If you already got a 770, especially for that price, I'd say get a second if you don't find the performance is sufficient. Just remember some games don't support SLI.

A 770 is pretty good for 1440p as it is, is it not?

If you already got a 770, especially for that price, I'd say get a second if you don't find the performance is sufficient. Just remember some games don't support SLI.

Linus' benchmarks of the GTX 770 yielded on average 22-30 fps on 1440p, I don't think that's enough. 

If you need the extra performance, and you have the money to spend, then get it. If you're having no problem running games, then just stay with your current GTX 770.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

If you need the extra performance, and you have the money to spend, then get it. If you're having no problem running games, then just stay with your current GTX 770.

I am not in possession of a 1440p monitor yet so i'm not sure what performance i'll be getting. However I want to play Watch Dogs @ 1440p and I don't think a single 770 will cut it.

Linus' benchmarks of the GTX 770 yielded on average 22-30 fps on 1440p, I don't think that's enough. 

I am pretty sure that was on a single card. My vote is the 780 though, you can SLI it later on to have a baller machine

Intel i5-4670K, Asus Maximus VII (z97), 16gb Kingston, Asus Gtx 780, Fractal Design Define Mini, 250Gb Samsung Evo, Corsair CS650M

Yey dis meh Pc

I am pretty sure that was on a single card. My vote is the 780 though, you can SLI it later on to have a baller machine

Yeah, single 770. Hmm, yeah. Would 850W be enough for SLI 780's?

I am not in possession of a 1440p monitor yet so i'm not sure what performance i'll be getting. However I want to play Watch Dogs @ 1440p and I don't think a single 770 will cut it.

I thought you were comparing 770 sli to a 780?

Overkill. A decent 750w is already plenty.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

yes, it would be, provided the PSU is of good quality and efficiency.

I thought you were comparing 770 sli to a 780?

Overkill. A decent 750w is already plenty.

I have a GTX 770 at the moment, one of the members here said a GTX 770 should be enough for 1440p and I commented back with the benchmarks. Ok, thanks!

I have a GTX 770 at the moment, one of the members here said a GTX 770 should be enough for 1440p and I commented back with the benchmarks. Ok, thanks!

You can always use lower settings than those in benchmarks. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Yes,it's worth it. And it's also 4GB. The performance will be better than a 780ti.

It's gonna cost more though,especially if you need to buy a new psu.750w is enough

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

I'm not 1440p, i'm currently on a 144HZ  (1080p) monitor with 2 x GTX 770 in SLI. I can hit 150Hz + on most games at completely max settings. So if you're only running a 60Hz monitor for 1440p I would definitely recommend it! 2 X 770s beast both the 780ti & Titan in a lot of benchmarks.

i5 4670k @ 4.4 GHz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 770 SLI | 256GB Evo Pro SSD | 2TB WD Blue | Corsair 350D | Windows 8.1 |

Asus VG248QE 144Hz Monitor | Roland Quad Capture Interface | Krk Rokit 6 Monitors |

Thanks all, i've decided to get a second GTX 770 as it seems to scale well in SLI.

It'd be fine, you'll have to turn AA off in most games. (Not like it's really needed that much on 1440p anyways)

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Right now 770 SLI would be a great idea at the current drivers are scaling better than before. We just don't know what the future holds.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Scaling with GTX 770's are impressive as of now, and a single GTX 780 isn't nearly as powerful as an SLI 770. It really depends if you want that future upgradeability of an SLI 780.

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

Since you already have a 770 I would just get another. Its Cheaper and faster than a 780. Just make sure its a 4GB 770.