My i7-4770k is stuck at 798mhz?

Go to solution Solved by briannastiii,

problem was solved folks :D 

had a faulty motherboard that had everything set to idle permanently 

bought a asus maximus vi formula and everything is swell ;)

ty everyone for your input to the unsolvable situation!

here are my parts - 

i7 4770k 

gigabyte z87-ud4h

corsair h100i

hx1050 psu

here are my parts - 

i7 4770k 

gigabyte z87-ud4h

corsair h100i

hx1050 psu

What program are you using to monitor this?

Are you gaming when this is happening?

It's probably downclocked itself as the CPU is not needed.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

here are my parts - 

i7 4770k 

gigabyte z87-ud4h

corsair h100i

hx1050 psu

You propably saw it it on cpuz is normal if you are idling

CPU: Intel core i7-4770 --- CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 --- GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 970 Strix --- MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D --- PSU: Corsair AX860i --- SSD: Seagate 120GB --- HDD: Seagate 2TB + Toshiba 1TB --- ODD: Asus External DVD-R

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate --- Mouse: Logitech G602 --- Mousepad: Corsair Vengeance MM600 --- Monitor: LG 29UM65

it's probably in power saving mode or at idle

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Well i recently built this pc and idk if i set the bios up correctly but i did do the default settings i know my board has bios switches and theyre set correctly

i was playing diablo 3 earlier and it was stuttering a ton i updated all my video drivers and when i switched to minecraft to try and see if it was the card

i had the same issue with frame issues

then i saw the cpu running that low

0fd0d1e68efd84b58c634bfe4ea72318.png

how do i know if im idling? is there a way to turn off idling?

even when i restart and go into my bios its still doesnt go to the normal clock rate

how do i know if im idling? is there a way to turn off idling?

even when i restart and go into my bios its still doesnt go to the normal clock rate

Idling just means you are not using the computer for anything intensive

idling just means your not using any cpu processing power. You can monitor this by going CTRL + ALT + DELETE. Start task manager -> Performance tab. 

Also try going to control panel and goto System. See what your processor is running at on that screen. 

Actually after doing some reading, this seems like an issue with the BIOS. I'll take a look around and see if I can find a fix. Some people have recommended re-installing numerous drivers. 

Try this.

Go to Power Options > Change Plan Settings (of the current scheme you are on) > Advanced Power Settings > Make sure that under the heading "Processor Power Management" the "Maximum Processor State" value is 100%

Play around with your power settings. 

Try this.

Go to Power Options > Change Plan Settings (of the current scheme you are on) > Advanced Power Settings > Make sure that under the heading "Processor Power Management" the "Maximum Processor State" value is 100%

Play around with your power settings. 

Already tried this earlier and it was on 100

The OP will also have to set the minimum to 100 too, since that's when it will be idling.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Well i recently built this pc and idk if i set the bios up correctly but i did do the default settings i know my board has bios switches and theyre set correctly

i was playing diablo 3 earlier and it was stuttering a ton i updated all my video drivers and when i switched to minecraft to try and see if it was the card

i had the same issue with frame issues

then i saw the cpu running that low

0fd0d1e68efd84b58c634bfe4ea72318.png

Just wondering, why did you put a 4770k for playing minecraft and diablo 3?

Diamond 5 in League :)

Just wondering, why did you put a 4770k for playing minecraft and diablo 3?

It's not only for that just stuff I have on my PC and wanted to test

Yeah your multiplier is really low... :( I'm stumped... People have said doing a fresh reformat/reinstall may fix it but that's a tedious process.