Anime Club - Heaven Society

JLCitadel
30 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

The other off-putting part was the dry progression.  It takes too long to progress, and that's why I can't stand continuing one piece much anymore.

What the heck was dry about Evangelion's progression? I mean, I can understand feeling that way after a hundred eps, but 5? Just give it another chance sometime to offset the fact that you wasted all that time on To Love. The balance of the universe will thank you.

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

No streaming site has it.  That means I'd have to buy it.  I'm not buying NGE.

Well then, lucky you. Resume watching bullshit instead ;)

20 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Call Go Nagai bs again.  >:( I told this kitty on you.

xD

If you had been watching Nagai from the start instead of To Love, then I wouldn't have to sick the dogs on you ;)

All jokes aside, enjoy NG Robo

3 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I also told Yoruichi on you.

Sorry, Bleach references don't faze me. Now if you were talking about Kuroneko-sama, then I might have been intimidated.

Mf8jT.jpg

3 hours ago, BashZeStampeedo said:

That's kind of the point. Shinji is probably how most of us would act in his position

Ya and no one wants fucking realistic reactions from the main character of a Macha 

2 minutes ago, Charger said:

Ya and no one ones fucking realistic reactions from the main character of a Macha 

...sorry?

16 minutes ago, Charger said:

Don't worry I got over that years ago but still tend to dislike older mecha

I'm just not sure what you meant? Did you mean:

"Ya and no one one *wants to see* fucking realistic reactions from the main character of a Mecha"?

If so, then I'm going to have to disagree, because Evangelion is among the top mecha series of all time, so clearly plenty of people wanted that to some extent.

It's actually really interesting to look back on the shows back at the time they were airing or hit their popularity peak, to see such things. Well, unless that show is Madoka, at which point you're basically seeing a crash course in youngsters who had apparently missed all of the relatively recent dark magical girl shows and latched onto Madoka because it had star power.

5 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

Shinji is a lil bitch, and fire head needs a sock in her mouth.  Could never stand that show, and I cringed my way through To Love-Ru

So are you saying that if you were in a post apocalyptic world on the verge of destruction being forced to pilot a giant robot against the monsters that are trying to wipe out humanity you would be perfectly well adjusted and suffer no anxieties about the situation?

Current System: Corsair Graphite 760T White/ Asus X99-S / Intel Core i7 5820K / Corsair H100i GTX / EVGA Titan X SuperClocked / HyperX Fury 4x8GB 2666mhz DDR4/ Corsair AX1500i / Intel 750 PCIe SSD 400gb / Samsung Evo 840 500gb / WD Green 4TB x2 / WD Green 3TB /  OCZ Agility 3 120gb

2 minutes ago, Avericious said:

So are you saying that if you were in a post apocalyptic world on the verge of destruction being forced to pilot a giant robot against the monsters that are trying to wipe out humanity you would be perfectly well adjusted and suffer no anxieties about the situation?

Based on our conversation after that comment, valdyr's just not a fan of that character type, so he has no patience for the show as a result (like me with the lead girl in Gatchaman Crowds). Valdyr also kinda fancies himself to be the antihero badass type, but as we all know it's nice to think that sort of thing, but hard to prove it in a convincing way. That's partly what makes characters like Shinji kinda compelling (unlike the ditzy lead girl in Gatchaman Crowds).

4 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

No streaming site has it.  That means I'd have to buy it.  I'm not buying NGE.

My Plex server has it. Dual audio too.

;)

COMIC SANS

And to this whole To Love-Ru and Evangelion discussion

1) To Love-Ru is pretty funny.

2) Evangelion is pretty good and everybody should watch it, at least for it being an anime classic

3) Also watch Eva so you can understand the memes, because they're freaking hilarious

Cases in point (possible spoilers):

Spoiler

tumblr_nr9ziffNz91uwn1hqo1_500.jpg

gaston_reads_evangelion_by_livingshadowd

+many more

I digress.

COMIC SANS

5 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

But, there's Go Nagai animes on.  Go Nagai is love, Go Nagai is life. xD  Also, I think the reason I can't get into NGE at all is due to having a lack of empathy due my autism, Aspergers.  I just can't feel what the character is feeling.  My mind works on death, destruction, and mayhem in the way that Go Nagai delivers. :D   If I was gay...Go Nagai would be the one.

I have no idea what this "Go Nagai" is, but.......

Also, I think the reason I can't get into NGE at all is due to having a lack of empathy due my autism, Aspergers.  I just can't feel what the character is feeling.

We can fix this, but it won't be pretty.......

15204?size=1600x600&region=US

COMIC SANS

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

But, there's Go Nagai animes on.  Go Nagai is love, Go Nagai is life. xD  Also, I think the reason I can't get into NGE at all is due to having a lack of empathy due my autism, Aspergers.  I just can't feel what the character is feeling.  My mind works on death, destruction, and mayhem in the way that Go Nagai delivers. :D   If I was gay...Go Nagai would be the one.

Thing is, I doubt many people really do empathize with Shinji, beyond letting his frustrating traits slide because he's justified in being a pansy with colossal daddy issues (unlike most anime protags who act that way). He's more the kind of character you DON'T want to empathize with, because the show spends so much time breaking him down step by step as he desperately searches for an identity. In other words, you don't try to "feel" anything for the characters to enjoy Eva, just view it as an exercise in nihilism. Watch it break down its characters for your satisfaction, until you don't even know what the hell is going on anymore (or don't want to).

3 minutes ago, TopWargamer said:

We can fix this, but it won't be pretty.......

Clannad doesn't tend to evoke much from the type of person that Valgyr identifies as. Appealing to emotions in the traditional way isn't gonna cut it (see also AnoHana, etc etc). The kind of show they tend to identify with is one that hits their value system, not their emotions. Sometimes it's Gurren Lagann, sometimes it's Texhnolyze.

The problem with me is that I do have a form of autism in the social sense.  For me I need to feel like something is an art.  There's usually a chant going on in my head that just says, "Death, destruction, and mayhem."  Whatever can make that beautiful to me is an art, and that interests me.  It's why I love metal music so much, but for me to really feel and adapt into an anime I need violence told well with weird humor.  That's why I adapt to the works of Go Nagai and Toriyama.  Characters that I can feel, but not empathize with are ones like Ichigo.  However, it's not empathy that I feel for Ichigo it's the fact that to me there's death, destruction, and mayhem.  When I watch things like that it's like the Joker watching Batman suffer.  I burst out into laughter and grin at the beauty of the art.  I guess that means I'ma really messed up sadist.

Heh. Well, if you're sadistic then you'll probably find delight in watching them brutally deconstructing emo kids ;)

51 minutes ago, TopWargamer said:

My Plex server has it. Dual audio too.

;)

How does one get on thy plex server? 

Cpu:

Intel i5 4460 Motherboard:Msi Z97S Sli krait Ram:HyperX Fury White (2x4) Storage:Seagate 1tb/Samsung 850 Evo 120gb Gpu:Gtx 960 2gb sc Case:S340 Black Psu:Corsair Rm 650w 80+ Gold certified

My anime list : http://myanimelist.net/animelist/KRImSIN

Just now, KRImSIN said:

How does one get on thy plex server? 

By waiting for me to build it back up. I'll probably make a post in the next day or so saying how to join my Plex server. There's almost enough content on it now for people to start using it, but I still have literally hundreds of more shows to add. Will take a few months easily. 

COMIC SANS

3 hours ago, BashZeStampeedo said:

I'm just not sure what you meant? Did you mean:

"Ya and no one one *wants to see* fucking realistic reactions from the main character of a Mecha"?

If so, then I'm going to have to disagree, because Evangelion is among the top mecha series of all time, so clearly plenty of people wanted that to some extent.

It's actually really interesting to look back on the shows back at the time they were airing or hit their popularity peak, to see such things. Well, unless that show is Madoka, at which point you're basically seeing a crash course in youngsters who had apparently missed all of the relatively recent dark magical girl shows and latched onto Madoka because it had star power.

lol ya I kind of assumed you didn't understand what I typed but I was on lunch at work and didnt really have time to fix it lol.

Anyways as you have concluded I was trying to say that no one wants a realistic reaction in a non realistic mecha anime. It is one of the top and it is also one of the few that I see more people complain about the main characters.

55 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

-snip-

You don't have explain Aspergers Syndrome to me. I was diagnosed with it as well.

I was gonna go on a long spiel about how you should be able to logically deduct that a "Normal" person would not act like us and should not be held to that kind of expectation. But whatever. It's not like I begrudge you for not liking the series. I don't particularly like it either. So I've decided to stop caring about this discussion.

Current System: Corsair Graphite 760T White/ Asus X99-S / Intel Core i7 5820K / Corsair H100i GTX / EVGA Titan X SuperClocked / HyperX Fury 4x8GB 2666mhz DDR4/ Corsair AX1500i / Intel 750 PCIe SSD 400gb / Samsung Evo 840 500gb / WD Green 4TB x2 / WD Green 3TB /  OCZ Agility 3 120gb

1 minute ago, Avericious said:

You don't have explain Aspergers Syndrome to me. I was diagnosed with it as well.

I was gonna go on a long spiel about how you should be able to logically deduct that a "Normal" person would not act like us and should not be held to that kind of expectation. But whatever. It's not like I begrudge you for not liking the series. I don't particularly like it either. So I've decided to stop caring about this discussion.

Now I feel like I should be apologizing for helping to drag this conversation out xD

Also, there's no room for 2 Aspies!

there-can-be-only-one.jpg

Don't worry, such a strange alignment of fortunes is probably just caused by orbital wobble.

I change my wallpaper way too much.

852ca358622952878716aff27cdd153d.jpg

(Been watching Ajin pretty good so far enjoying the thriller aspect)

Cpu:

Intel i5 4460 Motherboard:Msi Z97S Sli krait Ram:HyperX Fury White (2x4) Storage:Seagate 1tb/Samsung 850 Evo 120gb Gpu:Gtx 960 2gb sc Case:S340 Black Psu:Corsair Rm 650w 80+ Gold certified

My anime list : http://myanimelist.net/animelist/KRImSIN