List your personal "general Guidelines" when buying used laptops

Hi guys! would appreciate if you can provide your own personal "general guidelines" if ever your opting to buy used laptops. 

Here's mine:

1. Able to meet-up with the seller and check the laptop itself (Check that the laptop turns on, check the BIOS and OS and such).

2. Able to open the internals and check the hardware (check the state of the RAM, CPU, GPU and other hardware; check if they need cleaning  and/or replacement of thermal paste/pads, and checking if its even possible to replace those)

3. Replace the drive with a new one (once bought; replace it with a new drive)

Downloading RAM . . . 1%

I'd add:

4. Able to run a CPU stress test like Aida64 to determine just how bad the overheating is. On gaming laptops, overheating is almost a given to some degree, but there's a big difference between 'the palm rest gets kinda warm under load' and 'there is now a 737 taking off inside my living room'. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

Just now, bellabichon said:

I'd add:

4. Able to run a CPU stress test like Aida64 to determine just how bad the overheating is. On gaming laptops, overheating is almost a given to some degree, but there's a big difference between 'the palm rest gets kinda warm under load' and 'there is now a 737 taking off inside my living room'. 

Oh yeah, totally forgot about that, thanks man. That's a great input. 

Downloading RAM . . . 1%

CPU: 1 hour of Prime95 Small FFTs

RAM: 3 hours of Memtest 86

GPU: GPUPI 3.3.3 with the following settings:

32B HWbot GPU

OpenCL

Batch size: 20M

Reduction size: 512

Visual inspection of the insides and outside

Video of the machine in operation to look for problems especially with the display,track pad,camera and keyboard.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

-> Moved to Laptops and Pre-Built Systems

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

The biggest, absolutely most important thing for me, is Linux compatibility. It's surprisingly difficult to verify a laptop without being able to trial it in person yourself for a week or more. That's why I'm squeezing as much life out of my ASUS K53e as possible, even going as far as to do solder work on the board to keep the old clunker running properly.

I did try to get a new laptop a couple years ago, an Acer Aspire E15. Everything looked great during online research, that model was even in an article about best laptops for Linux! To prevent a wall of text, lets just say that thing didn't meet expectations, at all.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain