Did All The AIB's Know About the SP Cap Problem before the 3080/3090 Launches?

Briggsy

tinfoil hat time!

Please…Please Humiliate me! Make fun of Me! Ridicule Me! You DESERVE IT! |  Scanned Retina – A Resource for the People!

I've watched Buildzoid's and Jayztwocent's videos about the MLCC and SP Caps issue on the 3080 and 3090 cards, originally discovered by Igor over at IgorsLab. Review models like the FTW from EVGA, or the ROG Strix and TUF Gaming from Asus are now using MLCC caps in full or at least partially.

Oddly enough, the backside pictures of several cards on Newegg shows them all with 6 SP Caps. (see images below

Did AIB's know something before launch, and have to ship launch cards back to the factory to be upgraded? I'm just speculating here, but it seems like there's more to this story than we currently know, as many have been blaming AIB's for cutting corners on Nvidia's reference spec, myself included until now.

I mean, it could at least explain why supply is so tight for every single model of 3080 and 3090 right now.

What this does suggest to me is that AIB's did not cut corners, but that Nvidia's reference spec likely was 6 SP Caps.

Below are pictures from Newegg, which all show 6 SP Caps and zero MLCC's.

TUF Gaming 3080 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.61161064a1f06e44d0293e681a2b50ba.png

ROG Strix 3090

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.a0837bbbf54ce126b0ad0fe6fe82ca52.png

MSI Ventus 3090

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.9f7e752d7389b725b6a4e535625f5833.png

EVGA FTW 3090

Spoiler
Spoiler

image.thumb.png.5f4edf9ea89ec703df848830ec71e770.png

Edited by Briggsy
clarity and citing sources

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

No tinfoil hat necessary, that's exactly what happened. From a forum post by Jacob Freeman, product manager at EVGA:

During our mass production QC testing we discovered a full 6 POSCAPs solution cannot pass the real world applications testing. It took almost a week of R&D effort to find the cause and reduce the POSCAPs to 4 and add 20 MLCC caps prior to shipping production boards, this is why the EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 series was delayed at launch.

It would seem that this issue, combined with Nvidia giving their board partners less than average R&D time to work on their cards, greatly contributed to the lack of supply at launch.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

Full respect to the people that do the research and found the problem, but in electronics, that is an over simplification. Don't think that you know the whole story after a short text. 

1 minute ago, bellabichon said:

No tinfoil hat necessary, that's exactly what happened. From a forum post by Jacob Freeman, product manager at EVGA:

good to know, but it appears it wasn't just EVGA. 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Until Nvidia themselves come out with an official statement, no one (including the AIBs) are 100% sure what the problem is exactly. The poscap / spcaps could be the or an issue, it could be a driver issue, it could be a completely unrelated issue, or even a combination of problems. 

Remember, Igorslab was the one who released the initial findings about the caps, and as far as I'm aware, the only site which discovered this. Most other sites and tech reviewers just reiterated the report. 

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

Just now, Briggsy said:

good to know, but it appears it wasn't just EVGA. 

True, but I would assume that all the other manufacturers encountered the same problem during the testing of their factory overclocked cards, and used the same or similar solutions. I'd guess that the reason that we're hearing from EVGA specifically on this matter is they're typically one of the more transparent manufacturers when it comes to discussing product issues.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

22 minutes ago, Airdragonz said:

Until Nvidia themselves come out with an official statement, no one (including the AIBs) are 100% sure what the problem is exactly. The poscap / spcaps could be the or an issue, it could be a driver issue, it could be a completely unrelated issue, or even a combination of problems. 

Remember, Igorslab was the one who released the initial findings about the caps, and as far as I'm aware, the only site which discovered this. Most other sites and tech reviewers just reiterated the report. 

yep I'm aware of Igor being the original finder and I've updated the OP to include this information. appreciate the reminder.

I guess one of the big revelations for me was that Buildzoid in his video discussed Nvidia's reference spec likely being to blame, but what that spec was exactly was unknown, and some people are blaming AIB's for cutting corners. 

Based on the pictures from newegg it seems like none of them cut corners at all.

21 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Oddly enough, the backside pictures of these cards on Newegg shows them all with 6 SP Caps. 

The images they use for marketing and promotional material would have been early samples. They need to have those images ready to go on their website when the product launches and they need to distribute that material out to vendors so they can create their product pages - BEFORE they get the cards in stock.

It's likely that original samples of those cards shown in the early pictures used the SP-Caps and then perhaps once the AIB partners got drivers from Nvidia the cards were failing their internal validation and they changed the design to use the MLCCs. 🤷‍♂️

I wonder if the AIB partners had already started shipping cards out before realising they weren't stable. Apparently reviewers got drivers for the cards before some of the AIB partners did.

21 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Did AIB's know something before launch, and have had to ship a lot of cards back to the factory to be upgraded?

I wonder what they will be doing with the returned cards. The cards are all run through pick and place machines which place the capacitors during the assembly line. I doubt they're going to take returned cards and desolder the SP-caps and solder on MLCCs manually.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

asus shows the reg tuf with the more expensive 6x full arrays. and the OC tuf with the 6 reg caps. pretty sure they updated both pcbs to have all arrays in the spots. 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

2 hours ago, Spotty said:

I wonder what they will be doing with the returned cards. The cards are all run through pick and place machines which place the capacitors during the assembly line. I doubt they're going to take returned cards and desolder the SP-caps and solder on MLCCs manually.

In business the question is going to eventually boil down to costs.

It isn't that difficult to replace the components by hand, but you're still going to have to have someone do it, and then test the cards afterwards to ensure they are working correctly. How much would they gain from doing that? At best you'd have B-grade units afterwards. Is it less loss to throw them directly in recycling? There will be new stock coming in to replace them in due course. 

Or maybe get really creative. Create a new bios optimised for low power consumption, even if it means lower clocks, and rebrand it as an eco version. Note I've not kept up to the exact claims of when the problems happen, but for this purpose I'm assuming it is at higher clocks/power usage. Backing off on either or both would help.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I don't think resoldering different capacitors would be all that costly tbh. (I do have some experience with this)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity