Why are touchscreens in non-2-in-1 laptops so popular?

It's become standard for thin-and-light laptops to have touchscreens now, even if they aren't 2-in-1s, and for many people not having one is a deal breaker. But, I legitimately can't figure out how a touchscreen is useful on a standard laptop where you can't flip it over and use a pen. Out of curiosity, can the touchscreen-lovers out there explain their workflows and how touchscreens can be used effectively on standard laptops?

Phones. 

Seriously, phones. People have gotten used to interfacing with technology via touch. 

Also, the prevalence of 2 in 1s is quite extensive. Watch someone who is used to using a 2-in-1 attempting to use a traditional laptop. They will constantly attempt to touch the screen before remembering to use the mouse. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

Agreed, I find a matte finish to be far better than a touchscreen, even if it's a 2-in-1.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I find a matte finish to be far better than a touchscreen

i have a matte touch screen... not a laptop though

just a screen with touch input that i use on my desktop

why do i love it? i dont. i dont even touch it. idk why i even got the touchscreen model out of curiosity maybe

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

3 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Agreed, I find a matte finish to be far better than a touchscreen, even if it's a 2-in-1.

How do you use a 2-in-1 if it doesn't have a touchscreen...

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

for having a trackpad with 2 finger, 3 finger, and 4 finger swipe actions, and a mouse connected to the laptop.. i use the touchscreen a heck of a lot...

it's not a 'primary' input method, but sometimes its just quicker (or feels more natural) to reach for something, than to move your mouse.

1 minute ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

How do you use a 2-in-1 if it doesn't have a touchscreen...

I despise using touchscreens so I wouldn't use one even if I had the option. I could still use the 2-in-1 part for media consumption or something.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

I despise using touchscreens so I wouldn't use one even if I had the option. I could still use the 2-in-1 part for media consumption or something.

I guess... Seems kind of inconvenient though since you'd have to flip it back open whenever you wanted to pause or skip something.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

I’ve used laptops with them and never really understood the concept. It just smudges up the screen and gets uncomfortable for your wrist and arm. To each their own, though.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

22 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

I guess... Seems kind of inconvenient though since you'd have to flip it back open whenever you wanted to pause or skip something.

you can keep the keyboard and touchpad active if you force it not to go into tablet mode...
Personally though, it can be really handy sometimes.

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

36 minutes ago, Skipple said:

Watch someone who is used to using a 2-in-1 attempting to use a traditional laptop. They will constantly attempt to touch the screen before remembering to use the mouse. 

lol I sometimes even do that on my desktop... :P

Having a touchscreen makes many things so much more convenient and quicker. Zooming in, scrolling, clicking on things, quickly drawing or writing something (with my finger(s)), and much more. Even when I have my mouse connected to my laptop with touchscreen, I still very often use it, and desperately miss it on my desktop.

My laptop can also fold into a tablet, but I don't use that much, as it is generally more convenient to keep access to the keyboard and trackpad.

The screen really doesn't get that dirty, even though I have very sweaty hands. I've cleaned it about as often as my regular desktop screens, and it's still just fine. In fact, the keyboard actually gets much dirtier...

I genuinely can't live without my touchscreen anymore.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7