Twitter Fined up to $250 Million by the FTC

zeusthemoose
1 minute ago, poochyena said:

i'm assuming the money was saved once the lawsuit began, not in anticipation of a lawsuit.

Yes, the money was set aside once the fine was announced to Twitter.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

26 minutes ago, poochyena said:

i'm assuming the money was saved once the lawsuit began, not in anticipation of a lawsuit.

Yeah, but when you just so easily put it aside in preparation, is it really disciplinary or just a slight annoyance? I'd say it's the later...

3 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

To be honest I'd find that preferable on things like reddit. Twitter I don't use so... Meh? Recently I tried it again and discovered what a horrific cesspool it is. Worse than any YouTube comment section. 

reddit is only good on small communities, or to search for some memes, now the big ones are to be avoided at all costs

59 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

reddit is only good on small communities, or to search for some memes, now the big ones are to be avoided at all costs

Even some of the smaller ones are getting bad.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Make they asses pay out ALL the twitter users. Fuck that fine.

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)

1 hour ago, ouroesa said:

What if...instead of just fines, they lock up the responsible people? They can make plenty of money back but they can't make time back. 

This has been attempted.  It’s much much harder to do.  Corporate limited liability.  Simpler to fine a company enough to hurt and let them dig out the dead wood.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 hours ago, RejZoR said:

when you just so easily put it aside in preparation

What makes you say it was easy for them?

It feels like every time a company is fined, then unless they go bankrupt from it, people act like its nothing.

12 minutes ago, poochyena said:

It feels like every time a company is fined, then unless they go bankrupt from it, people act like its nothing.

It’s difficult to gauge.  Company’s tend to overstate damage in an attempt to make it not damaging at all.  So does one err on the side of crippling a company and scaring similar ones into avoiding the fate or under fining them and making such abuses effective requirements of operation?  I’m personally for the cripple.  Companies aren’t alive but they can still do real damage to people. 

part of the problem is what might cripple one company might be an under fine for another and the larger company will claim precedent and get off with a useless correction attempt.  That has historically been a problem.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 minutes ago, poochyena said:

I don’t know if it was necessarily easy, but as of the end of 2019, they had over $6.6B cash in reserve so i doubt $150M (only like 2%) was at all a significant amount to them.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

Let's be honest here they will keep doing it.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

On 8/4/2020 at 6:48 AM, Trik'Stari said:

I have to ask.

Are people not trained at a young age "do not click on ads" anymore? That was one of the first things I learned when the internet started becoming more popular in the early 2000's. I feel like if people stopped clicking on them, they would simply go away. And then shit like this wouldn't happen.

But if I pop Santa's Zits I win a free Nintendo Wii! Or if I whack 3 moles I can get an iPod! Or if I shoot the duck I will win a DS!

I have a feeling that once those kinda "ads" went away, and were replaced with more 'legitimate' ads, the whole "don't click on ads!" lesson stopped getting taught.

1 minute ago, DeScruff said:

But if I pop Santa's Zits I win a free Nintendo Wii! Or if I whack 3 moles I can get an iPod! Or if I shoot the duck I will win a DS!

I have a feeling that once those kinda "ads" went away, and were replaced with more 'legitimate' ads, the whole "don't click on ads!" lesson stopped getting taught.

They’re still getting taught I suspect.  The problem is there’s always going to be a small percentage who don’t learn or who have the cat walk across the keyboard at the wrong moment or whatever and that tiny percentage is still thousands.

On 8/4/2020 at 12:44 PM, Bombastinator said:

I’ve never been tempted by twitter.  Reddit some but it has obnoxious signup requirements.  What’s irritating is some asshat in another country signed up on Twitter with some of my user data and I had to shut them down so I may have gotten abused

without ever even having used twitter.

What are the obnoxious signup requirements for reddit?

I have a few reddit accounts.  I used a free email throw away account to register.

I made a throw away twitter account so I could read some football tweets from analytic people, and so I can sign onto SBnation to follow an NFL team.

Remember folks, nothing is free and if something is offering a service for free then you are the product.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)